Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Symptom-Rash on my Hands

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Default New Symptom-Rash on my Hands

Hi everyone,

I woke up last night with a new, weird symptom. My hands are all tingly and burning, and I have this awful looking rash on my hands in the area on the top of my hands between my thumb and wrist. It's all puffed up, like scales, and really bright red. If I touch it or scratch it it cracks open and bleeds in little tiny spots. It doesn't really itch, it just burns. This is totally new to me-has anyone else ever experienced this?

I'd appreciate any advice or ideas you may have.

Rob

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Hey Rob, have you ever had hives? I had them a few weeks ago and they were a little like that except I had them all over. try taking some benadryl. Whether is is hives or something else it may be your body telling you that you are pushing it too hard. I know you have to be there for your mom and day but you won't be any good to them if you have a full on flare.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Is it neuro, Rob? Did you have chicken pox as a kid? With MS and the lupus, you might have something similar to a "shingles" outbreak, which anything "neuro" can do similar. On the "Symptoms" page of that link is a picture, and if you click on it, it'll zoom in. That's a mild case of it. I had a shingles outbreak about 10 years ago on my lower back, and there's little "branches" that connected the "sites", which the doc said was the nerve stems running along under the skin, all inflamed. Mine was more raised, and almost "bruised" looking. I forget what it's called when it's not shingles, and you do similar...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

rob (03-04-2011)

Thanks

Great thought Jmail! Shingles are very common among SLE patients.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

that sounds like what shingles feels like to me as well. If you had a history of psoriasis I would say it sounds like that too with the scales but I don't remember your saying you do. I think you might want to call the dr - shingles is contagious and if that's what you have, you can't be around dad at the moment.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

I forgot about the "contagious" part of that, SandyR... Although it's just the zoster virus, and not chicken pox itself, a person still has to be careful.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    I forgot about the "contagious" part of that, SandyR... Although it's just the zoster virus, and not chicken pox itself, a person still has to be careful.
    I will definitely never forget that part. When I had shingles I had to stay in a hotel for a week. It was caught extremely early but the doctor was very emphatic about not being around anyone who is pregnant, has kids, works with kids, has a compromised immune system or was recently sick and the elderly. That was just about everyone I knew who lived in my area at the time. I wanted to make sure to mention it specifically b/c Rob's dad would most likely not be allowed to be around him right now if that's what he has.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rob;
    I have to agree with everyone's assessment: sounds like Hives or Shingles. You've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately and both of these conditions are the result of stress.
    Please let your doctor know about this new manifestation as both can exacerbate if not treated early. Let us know how you are doing

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Chickenpox.. Want a bit more proof that my body beats to a different drum? I have had the chickenpox 9 times.Yes, I know you only get them once but nor I! It's a long story but on the 4th or 5th doctor they figured out that I am a carrier. I got them only bad enough to be contagious but not to make me immune. I told every old people sure fire cure (my middle school principle ever told me to drink a shot of whiskey) but I kept getting them over and over. Finally I got a case that was a little worse...on my wedding day LOL
    It seems to have done the trick because I haven't had them in about 18 years.

FYI My niece had them 3 or 4 tines before she got a good case of then
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Red face

Hey Rob! I get numbness and tingling in my hands at night. They also swell. They do burn sometimes also. My rhuemy told me that it is not unusual for lupus patients to expeirence similiar symptoms. He didnt give me many details as to why, but did say that it had to do with arthritis. Sorry I didnt ask more questions! Hope you get it figured out and taken care of!
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!