Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about flares and blood tests

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Question about flares and blood tests

Is there a better chance of diagnosis if the blood-test is taken during a flare? I've had blood-tests during a flare, but they were only looking at thyroid lvls.

PS. How do you keep your mind from wandering over an unwanted "taboo" topic? I don't want to jinx anything.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much"- Mother Teresa

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Although it is not always the case sometimes your levels are higher when you are in a flare. I had someone tell me once that whenever they were going to have blood drawn for a lupus count they would stay out in the sun for an hour or two in order to have a better chance of the bloods showing something. So I guess the answer is that it can help but it doesn't always.

As far as the "taboo" subjects" I don't have any of them anymore. This disease is hard enough to deal without having to keep secrets. Fire away!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My flares definitely increase my numbers. Of course, the moment they get you on high doses of steriods, the numbers go down. There simply has to be another way to check Lupus other than the ANA. You would think they would've figured something out by now!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

No kidding. I googled it but it didn't help. I was wondering if I should work out a lot and pray that it would come out, but if the flare doesn't effect the count, I wouldn't do it. WHy cause pain when I can go (more or less) without.

Tgal- the taboo subject....I lost one of my best friends (dog) in November, and my "uncle" back at the begining of February. Today I found out that my best human friend (she lives with us) has a tumor IN her thyroid. If it's cancerous, then she'll need it operated on. The two concequences are that she will live or die. With the way things have been lately, although I doubt the negative, I just wonder how I'd make it through without her. We've been the best of friends for 11 years this summer, and we've done almost everything together. We even go to college together! I just don't want to dwell on the negative, but if I leave my mind to wander, guess where it will end up?
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much"- Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Thanks

No kidding. I was thinking about working out a lot tomorrow so I can flare on friday, but if it has no effect on the blood test, I don't want to cause a flare I'll regret. XD

Tgal- the taboo.....My best friend (dog) died in November 2010. My "uncle" died the begining of february. Now, I have to face that I might lose my best friend of 11 years this sept. They found a tumor IN her thyroid, and they have to biopsy it to see if it's malignant, and it's pretty big. Chance of surgery is high, and although the chances of surviving are great, I can't help but worry over the negative. I don't know what I can do to keep from thinking about it. If I let my mind wander, guess where it ends up?

Going to make Jasmine tea (aka the good stuff lol) and hope that it helps calms me a bit. I feel frayed.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

It is not taboo to think about or discuss death. It is only wrong when you dwell upon it. We all know that worrying causes us stress and stress leads to bigger flares. Holding in ones feeling can be the biggest stressor out there. The worst thing that we can do is bottle up our feelings. Holding everything in causes us to get more ill while verbalizing our worries and getting them out into the open can help heal.

With your friend being ill it causes you to worry about the "what ifs". It isn't wrong to do that but you can't dwell on it. Don't borrow trouble. Live in the today but plan for tomorrow. You thought abou it. You expressed it. Now it has no power over you. Come here when you feel stressed about it. Write it and get it out of your head. We are here for you. I can't tell you what is going to happen but I can tell you that you will be able to handle whatever it is. I can also tell you not to waste whatever time she or you have together. Whether it is 1 week, 1 year or 1 month if you continually focus on the "what ifs' you fail to live in the now. Discuss it and get it out so you and she can live.

Hope this makes sense. Pretty bad fog with the upping of the meds. I should be better in a week or so. (huggggs)
    Last edited by tgal; 03-03-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mari- I love your mom talks. They always make me feel better

I'd trade my life for hers. the funny thing about us is that we are almost complete opposites, but we are great together. she's the optomist, I'm the pessimist (sry for the spelling).
    mmm...I can't seem to remember spelling. I always question it. hope the meds cause your fog only and that it ends quickly.

Love you guys! (hugs)xxx

Thanks

Hi Wolfwhisper,
    Hang in there, and try to think positively. I like to watch the show The Doctors. They just had a guest on there who has lived through thyroid cancer. It was found by accident when he had an MRI after a car accident. It was surgically removed and he is fine now. He even still has a great singing voice.
    Think of this example, and I hope that it turns out as well for your friend.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Marla.
    I'll be sure to keep it in mind. I know it's possible, just really hard to stop being my pesimistic self. Her's is 7 inches. She's so optimistic, that it's hard not to catch it as quickly as one catches the flu. A friend came over and said "she's like a typical asian. Put neosporin and a band-aid on it and it'll be fine" (he is asian too, so it lightened the mood a bit lol). I was able to smile anyway.
    I'm just afraid to lose someone else. It's just been a terrible 4 months here, and I really hope this bad luck streak stops soon. Not only my bad luck, but everyone here's too. Well, it's 2:40am, so I'm going to get some sleep while I'm feeling tired. Probably won't be back on around until about noon. lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here's a hug and a thought for you.
    1 remember your scripture verse
    2 He's got a plan
    3 trust in Him
    4 if you dwell on bad thoughts- tell the devil to take his bad thoughts and go away

anyway, You are right about one thing - Mari is the best Mom we have. Her advice is great

Toni