Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly question - but curious

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Silly question - but curious

I know one of the side effects of prednisone is bone loss and since I've been on pred, I am addicted, I mean massively addicted to yogurt. It's like my body can't get enough! I went to the new "greek" version because it has more protein and I add Grapenuts for the whole grain, so it's very tasty but even writing about it will guarantee a refridgerator run very soon.

Are there foods that help our disorders? Maybe a recommended diet. Due to my massive swelling and hospitalization last week, I'm on a super high dose of steriods right now so I'm hungry all the time. I don't want to add any more weight than I already have. The yogurt isn't that big of a concern because it's fat free and I really do moderate it no matter how hard that is but I am very open to suggestions on helping my disease while controlling my weight.

Out of curiosity, do any of you have strange cravings you think might be AI related? I really do believe the body wants to help us get well and tries to tell us what we need through these cravings (aside from peanut butter cups -- those are a purely man-made addiction!).

Thanks

I don't know what it means, but my rheumy always asked me if I crave sweets, and boy do I.
    I eat or drink something sweet all the time. No wonder I have 30 pounds more than I want to.
    But when he asked me if I crave sweets, I wanted to know why he asked and he said he is finding out that alot of lupus patients have sugar cravings, he doesn't know why.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

My hematologist asked me that question today. I have strange and fierce cravings for raw cabbage, the shredded kind in a package and raw portabella mushrooms. LOL Seriously, I wake up in the middle of the night wanting one or the other and I can't get enough. He said it may be significant but he needed to look it up. LOL

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i've been craving chocolate candy and mozzerella cheese. don't know why, i just do. I'm almost off the pred; down to 3 mgs today. GoodDog I meant to ask you what part of the Bay area you're in. I lived in Redwood City, Belmont and pacifica when i lived there.

hugs to all
    toni

Thanks

I live on the other side, the Concord area.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Most people say that we should just eat a good, healthy diet but I have been reading a lot about the inflammation diet. I know someone that was really ill (like many on here who have autoimmune issues but can't get a diagnosis). She was ill for a couple of years and this helped her. She sent it to me this last weekend to look over. I am debating starting on it. Problem for me is that it is a lot of fish and I don't do fish!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Most people say that we should just eat a good, healthy diet but I have been reading a lot about the inflammation diet. I know someone that was really ill (like many on here who have autoimmune issues but can't get a diagnosis). She was ill for a couple of years and this helped her. She sent it to me this last weekend to look over. I am debating starting on it. Problem for me is that it is a lot of fish and I don't do fish!
    My rheumy suggests The Anti Inflammation Zone by Barry Sears and has a copy of the book in her waiting room.

Like you, tgal, DH doesn't do fish and I'll be darned if I'm cooking two different meals every night. And, you guessed it, he doesn't cook, except to MAYBE open a can of soup (and that's a stretch).

Like some of the other posters, lately I've been craving sugar and I don't know why. I've been really good about avoiding it the last 9-12 months and am perplexed at the sudden insatiable craving.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was told once by one of my drs that our body will crave the things that it needs. I agree chocolate and sweets are probably not the type of cravings he was referring too, but I have never been big on sweets until just a few years ago, right around the time I was diagnosed. I crave them all the time!!! I wonder if it is a lupus thing?
    Last edited by froggal; 02-28-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serand4 View Post
    ... Out of curiosity, do any of you have strange cravings...
    Double-cheesburgers. A really, really strong urge to eat a double-cheeseburger... and I just *had* one... Steroids. However, I am low on the B complex, so there ya go. Maybe you're low on calcium, and your body says "yogurt"... ??

btw, chocolate is *good* for you, IF you do dark, organic stuff. Oh, the heck with it, milk chocolate, the *whole* box!!! Help! can you tell they bumped me up on pred again?... lol - where's me a Milky Way?
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My Triavil (Elavil & Perphenazine combo) is notorious for causing sugar cravings. I have been on Triavil forEVER. It not only makes you crave sweets, but just makes you hungry in general. Recently being diagnosed with diabetes, I cannot eat sugar or high carb foods anymore. I really miss it but I have lost 44 pounds ~ which makes NOT eating sweets much easier to take. I never dreamed I could lose weight since my thyroid disease and subsequent radioactive iodine treatment back in my 20's ~ now living on synthetic thyroid hormone, it is extremely difficult to lose weight....but eliminating (as much as possible) the sugary & high carb foods is doing the trick. I keep waiting for the weight loss to ease my chronic pain but unfortunately it has had no effect.
    Live, laugh, love. We only have one shot at this. ~Author Unknown