Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad is having heart surgery...

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Default Dad is having heart surgery...

Hi guys,

Well, my father went in this morning for an angiogram, and they discovered multiple blockages. He was admittied immediately, and is being prepped for open heart surgery either this evening, or in the morning. They are going to do at least three, at at the most, five bypasses.

Dad had three stents put in about 12 years ago, and he takes very good care of himself. He HAS NOT had a heart attack, and there is no damage to any of the cardiac muscle tissue-this is very, very good. However, he probably would have had a heart attack in the coming months had they not discovered the blockages now.

Dad is in great spirits, is very alert and flirting with the nurses already. And, his famous sense of humor is still very intact. He's being typical dad-he's comforting all of us!

I need to head back to the hospital. I will let everyone know how things are going as soon as we know.

Rob

And to my friend Kim in Australia-I know you are going through a very tough time right now with your daughter, and I was going to write to you today to see how you are, and say hello. I'm afraid I can't write right now, but I wanted you to know I am thinking of you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that the sh*t-wagon has hit you now too. I will be saying prayers for Dad that things go well. It sounds like things are as good as can be, considering, since he was so good about taking care of himself and hasn't yet has trouble with the last surgery or blockage so I hope that means he is out of surgery and flirting with the nurses very soon.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Remember to take care of yourself!!!!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

lIt is very good news that your dads doctors found this before any damage was done. As Colleen said please don't forget to take care of yourself. Although we all love you and miss you when you are not around we can manage until you return. Please keep us updated as you can and know that many good thoughts and prayers from different people will be with you.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rob,
    Will be keeping your father in my prayers that everything goes well. & Couldn't agree more w/everyone above, please don't forget to take care of yourself!
    Lauren

Thanks

Rob,
    I'll be thinking of you and your Dad. Just think - Letterman, Robin Williams, Barbara Walters and several other celebrities have had the same surgery lately and now they are talking and joking about it.
    I hope that all goes well for your Dad. Take good care of yourself, too.
    Love and Hugs,
    Marla

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I just got back from the hospital. They are doing a bunch of tests right now, and they have not yet scheduled the surgery, so it won't be tonight. I guess they have to figure out where they will take the arterial grafts from, and that takes some time. They also have to determine if they will do the procedure with the heart stopped and the heart/lung machine running, or do it with the heart still beating.

So, right now things are very much in favor of a good outcome. The fact that there is no damage to the heart muscle, and that Dad is in excellent shape, really tips the scales in his favor. And, he has one of the most positive attitudes and outlooks on life of anyone I know, not to mention he's still tough as nails at the age of 75. I'm heading over to their house to see how mom is doing, and to keep her company for a bit. Then I have to try to get some sleep. I'll talk to you guys again when I know more.

Thank you all for kind words and support, they do indeed help!

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rob
    just wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with your Dad and your family

hugs

Toni

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Thanks for the update Rob! Take care of your family but don't forget to take care of yourself as well. They need you as healthy as you can be
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Sorry that your dear, young Dad is facing surgery, but very relieved that he had no damage to the heart muscle and that he's otherwise in good shape.

It sounds like your father is quite the spry gentleman, flirting with the nurses as he's facing surgery . How refreshing that must be for the nurses instead of a cranky old geezer hehehe!

Best wishes to your Dad for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Afterall, he's got cars to wash and wax with Spring just around the corner.