Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Need To Vent..Long (Sorry :-()

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Just Need To Vent..Long (Sorry :-()

My mother has, in the past year, taken 3 tumbles. One, of which, broke both of her ankles and required surgery, meaning she was not ambulatory for 3-4 months. The most recent fall broke her right wrist.
    Let me give you a bit of background; My mother is a chronic alcoholic and has been so for all of my life. After her broken ankles, she then began to abuse her vicodine (taking it with her copious amounts of alcohol). She has always denied her drinking problem because she managed to maintain her job until retirement (even though, on several occasions, she was called into the Principal's office because other staff members complained about her smelling like alcohol..instead of doing something about it, she got angry at the other teachers and the Principal). Those of you who are children of alcoholics need not have to be told what kind of life I've had to live. Her alcoholism has now caused severe emotional problems, such as OCD; Paranoia, Anger Issues; Severe Depression, amongst others.
    At any rate, she just returned home from the hospital after taking yet another tumble. However, this time, the emergency room doctor confronted her because she was reeking of alcohol. Of course, my Mother still did not tell the truth about the amount of alcohol she consumes...so I DID!! The emergency doctor took he off of all of her pain medications and other meds that react to alcohol because, as she told my mother, "If you don't stop drinking, these combinations are going to kill you!" The emergency doctor told her that she fell because she was "drunk" and on these medications..My mother balked at this, of course, saying that she only has a glass of wine and 2 vicodine's per day (this is when I stepped up and told the doctor the truth).
    After this tumble and being released home, she was angry that she had not medications (pain killers mostly) and I poured out 5 gallons of wine and 4 six packs of beer before I went home (this amount would last her 2-3 days at the most!). Since she was unable to go to the store to buy liquor and could not get her pain meds, she essentially was going "cold turkey" off of the substances.
    Well, as we all know, going "cold turkey" will make a person extremely ill (De-Tox)..symptoms being shakes, chills, throwing up, headaches, nausea, unable to eat, etc. She called my brother to tell him that she was sick and he immediately told her what was going on. She got angry with him and called 911. Once again.she was taken to the hospital (which is a good thing, because de-toxing without care can kill you).
    While in the hospital, she called me to say that she had a bad UTI and that was what was causing the symptoms. I told her that this was probably not the case, but could have added to her problem. She got angry with me saying that it was not de-tox because she is not an alcoholic!
    When I went to pick her up and take her home, I asked the nurse what was her prognosis. The nurse said that ONE of the things they found was a UTI and that anti-biotics were helping that. She further stated that SHE did not know exactly what was causing the other nausea issues, but that the doctor would explain everything to us. My mother HIT THE ROOF stating that there are a lot of medical things wrong with her, not just a UTI, that caused the nausea etc. and that the nurse didn't know what she was talking about and she lied and had no business saying anything at all! I took her home and returned home myself. She then called me later to state all of these things again. I tried to re-state what the nurse said, that the UIT was ONE of the things they found, not the only thing, at which point my mother accused me of siding with the nurse, of arguing with her, of never understanding how she feels, of never considering how sick she is (now mind you..I suffer from 4 different diseases myself that dominate my life and, generally, never gives me one full day of relief!). I hung up on her!!
    I am so angry..so fed up...so stressed...I just want to scream!! I just cannot do it any longer. At this point, I don't even want to speak to her at all!
    This is the same woman who says that she never knew that my daughter was in the hospital dying until after Lauri died! BIG LIE! Lauri and I called her the day Lauri was admitted and told her that she was in the hospital. But do you know that she still repeats this lie to me every time that we talk about Lauri????
    I know that she is my mother...but I have had enough! I just cannot help her anymore and I cannot be there for her anymore! I know that this sounds horrible, but I am losing my own ability to care for me because of this constant stress. This is just the tip of the iceberg with reference to the issues between my mother and myself (including allowing a step father to molest me so that she could keep a man!!). I am just finished!!
    I am so sorry to lay all of this on all of you, but I had no place else to vent and I appreciate you allowing me to do it here. Forgive the length of this! Thank You for listening/reading
    Always
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am so sorry about the things that you are going through. My father was and alcholic his whole life but was never ugly but did not have much time for us growing up it stemmed from his life as a child and his father and his brothers were also alchoal abusers. He was ahamed of himself and only called me when he was dying and of course i went to the hospital with him where he lay in intensive care six weeks because they could not take him off life support. It really took a lot out of me and i prayed that he found Jesus before he died because we talked to him about it. If you mother does not admitt she has a problem nothing anyone says will matter. I am so sorry to hear that she did not acknowledge your daughters illness and death it must of been hard on you. My mother is 81 and fell this year and broke her hip and had a complete replacement and did very well and then a few months after that she was diagnosised with breast cancer and went through two surgeries and radiation and they say she will be okay. She lives and takes care of my mentally and physically handicapped sister who is 55 and she does not take a lot of advice from my other sister and i. I hope your relationship with your mother improves and she gets the help she needs. Love and prayers Bonita

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonita For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am glad you shared this with us as its now out and people can help you through this.I am so sorry about whats been going on,i know family can be either very selfish or no help at all.I hope she gets the help she needs and someone can actually get through to her.Sounds like professional help is most certainly is needed.I am sorry what you went through and what you are going through,but try find the time to get away from her and sit n relax and look after yourself too.You have been through allot in your life.Just know i and many others care for you.
    Lots of love
    Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Oliver For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hugs, many hugs and tears shed for you. I just want to hug you and pray that you can find peace. We are here for you as you are here for us

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh Saysusie sweety, I know very well how you feel.

Know that this is NOT your fault in any way or is it your problem in any way. Her being your mother does not mean you have to bend over backwards and let her hurt you or put a strain on your own life because she won't change. She needs help, that is clear, and the best thing you can do for her is to keep standing your ground, keep telling the truth, and get her the help she needs whether she likes it or not.
    My mother is very abusive, a liar, and very unhealthy herself, and for my sake I had to remove her from my life. She is borderline personality and a dangerous and manipulative person, so she's gone, and gone for good, it's what had to be done, because she will never change.
    Your mom still has a chance, and what needs to be given here is tough love. If you chose to no longer see her or be in contact with her, don't think it's wrong because it's NOT.
    A BIG hug for you, I know this is very hard and we are all here for you.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunniebun For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2011), tiggerlishus - Heidi (02-22-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Oh Carlotta there is so much I could say to this but first and foremost I want you to know that I love you. I not only lived with an alcoholic for much of my teens I became an addict myself until the age of 21. I have seen both sides of this and I have to tell you that yours is the hardest side to be on.

Although my biological father was not an addict or alcoholic I lived, like you, in a world of craziness. Your story and the denials of real things that you know happened struck a cord with me and I felt the need to tell you that you are doing nothing wrong. Your mother is grown. She is making her decisions and you have to allow yourself to do that as well. I have not seen my father in almost 25 years and the hardest thing to do was give myself permission to walk away. I couldn't walk away in anger but I couldn't get beyond the anger until I realized that only anger tied me to this person. The other emotions had been killed by his actions long ago and if I could get get beyond the anger then there was nothing holding the relationship together. That allowed me to stop hating and freed me completely.

I know what I am saying sounds cruel but it isn't really. Your mother will go on with her life just as she always has if you are there or not. Of course she will try to make you feel guilty and all the other emotions that have been used to "keep you in place" all these years but it is your choice if you allow it to work. You have a right to be happy and free from abuse and never doubt that this relationship is abusive to you. It not only harms you emotionally but it harms you physically because of your illness. In any other part of our life we decide to be friends with people based on how being with them makes us feel. If they make us unhappy or are damaging to us or our families we don't get close to them. I believe the same criteria should be used for family. There comes a point in every relationship that the balance of good to bad falls completely in the "bad" category. At that time, we either choose to stay and be victims of their abuse or we stand up for ourselves and decide that we deserve better. Carlotta, you deserve better and every person that you have touched with this forum knows that. You have a huge extended family here and, as you know, we don't tolerate any abuse of our WHL family. We believe that each person here deserves a safe haven and we "ban" those that attempt to cause harm. Sometimes we must "ban" people in our real life as well. Not out of anger but out of respect for ourselves and those that love us.

I know what I am saying is hard to do and I don't ever expect someone to do as I say and I will continue to love you no matter what choices you make for yourself. I just know that you deserve only the best and I hope the point comes when your realize that as well {{{hugs}}}
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2011), tiggerlishus - Heidi (02-22-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've been worried about you. I haven't seen you around here much and was just getting ready to PM you tonight and then I saw your message and I am so so sorry to hear about all the crap that you have had to deal with. It's so sad that some of our parents are so lost and hurtful. I've walked away from a mentally abusive parent and it's not easy but it will be the best thing you can do for your own health. I'm wrapping you in gentle loving thoughts and prayers my friend. You have given so much love and good to so many and deserve that in return and shouldn't feel bad about sharing on here b/c that's just what you built this place to be - a loving, caring, safe place to share.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I had to let my mother go to. She was no longer heathy for me to be around. You have to think of you and your heath good luck and take care

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lovehubby For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2011)

Thanks

SaySusie,
    I'm so sorry to hear what you have been going through. Like Sandy, I've been wondering where you have been lately and hoping that you weren't having a bad flare.
    Why is it that so many of us here have had abusive parents? I also had to cut my mother out of my life when Jeff and I eloped. I had to make a choice between living with the guilt and abuse (usually verbal and emotional, but sometimes physical) that was living with my mother and starting a new life with a young man who loved me and the family that we were about to start. I made the right choice, but she did everything she could to make me feel guilty about it.
    When my mother was near the end of her life and was no longer able to take care of herself, I had to step in and put her in a nursing home against her will. It wasn't easy, but it was for the best. Could this be possible in your case? If she is injuring herself and can't control her own medications, could you and your brother claim that she is medically incompetent and place her into some sort of facility? That is what I had to do.
    As everyone else has said, I'm here for you and I understand only too well. Take care of yourself, sweetie. Don't let this affect your own health.
    Love and Hugs,
    Marla

17. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2011)

Thanks

Saysusie-

As an ACOA and the former spouse of an alcoholic, I share your pain and understand your frustration.

You are not responsible for your mother. She has made and continues to make poor choices. Until she admits she has a drinking problem and gets help, I wouldn't do anything for her. I know it would be extremely difficult, especially if she's calling and begging/guilting you in to helping her. If it's easier, screen your calls. Start going to ACOA meetings for support.

Make yourself and your health your number one priority, Saysusie. You mean the world to us.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BonusMom For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-22-2011)