Thread: Bad Knees

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Bad Knees

Well I had a MRI on my knee that has been hurting me. They found two tears in the meniscuc disk they want to repair. I pulled the MRI report so I could see it nd I also have cyst in there and cartilage wearing away and a defect in the knee cap and of coarse arthritis. So I decided not to have the arthoscopic sugery because I feel that just to repair the tear is not going to help everything else wrong with it. Plus I read that the sugery will cause a thinning of that Disc which can lead to more problems I don't need. I think I made the right decision! Hope so LOL. If I am careful with the knee it does ok. Well I will see my Rheumy next friday to see what he is going to do about the plaquenil. I really don't think he will be happy that I can't take it so we will see. Also see the cardio on the same day about all the palpitations I have been having lately. I think they are just stress. I have lived with them for so many years you would think that I would be use to them. I think that having my husband with heart desease and diabetes on top of that he has had the diabetes for 50 years and I worry so about him. That sometimes it really plays on my stress level. It is hard enough having Lupus and worrying about myself but for 23 years I have had to take care of him too. Don't get me wrong I would take care of him all over again it's just sometimes I feel like a caregiver that could sure use a break but I really love him so we do what we have to do and sometimes we forget about the fact we are sick too.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Knee surgeries can be tricky. I have put it off for 40 years. I'm not saying my decision is right for everyone. I just don't want to lose the mobility that I have now. Crutches and wheelchairs seem the pits at the moment.

Good thought being sent you're way.

Nonna

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Sending good thoughts your way. We all make the decisions that seem best to us at the time. Keep us posted on what happens with the docs!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

No one knows what is best for you body better than you do. Please let us know how you are doing and what your doctor's say about your decsions.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I had the arthroscopic surgery two years ago for a meniscal tear and Avascular Necrosis. It took a lot longer for it to heal than the surgeon expected, but it did give me some relief for a while. I think that the bone pain of the AVN has now returned. I read that arthroscopic surgery is only a temporary help for AVN and that eventually I'll probably have to have a knee replacement.
    It never ends! Good luck with yours.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I had an arthroscopy (chrondroplasty, plica excision, synovectomy and had my kneecap decompressed) in June that only gave me relief for a couple of months. I was released from surgeon's care at the end of August and started having pain and swelling again in October. My most recent diagnosis was synovitis (again.) Hence why my orthpedist thinks my problems could be autoimmune.

The rehab after surgery is not easy (I was in physical therapy 5 hours/week for 2 months) and to get good results, you really need to be 100% motivated. If you don't think it's the right choice for you, don't do it. Also I have been told that the relief you get from surgery for arthritis pain is not very long lasting.

I am always good for a moan about knee pain- I know how much it can control what you can/cannot do and your overall frame of mind.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Boy tortugal you got that right about knee pain thanks