Thread: Steroids and fitness.

Thanks

Default Steroids and fitness.

We all know that any amount of Prednislone above 10mg causes alot of weight gain. When I get below 10mg and around 5mg my weight returns to normal. But seeing im not below 10mg and have the weight gain I have decided to at least do some moderate excercise. However, seeing that the steroids cause some fatigue and sleepyness it makes it very difficult to overcome, and get motivated.

I would just like to know of any other experiences, strategies or ways to go about staying fit while on a decent amount of Prednisolone.

Cheers.

Thanks

try swimming i have been overweight but prednisone made it worse so i find walking in pool helps take pressure off my joints or use hydro therapy pool hope this help hugs kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I just read that the steroid epidurals can also put weight on you, Since dec. i have had 4 and i usually get a series of 3 every 6 months or so for my back. Bonita

Thanks

My blood sugar skyrockets when I do mine Bonita, but they sure do help. I've got a recumbent bike and do light calisthenics to try to keep up - can't afford the cost of swimming around here... I'm also supposed to do a daily morning routine of "core" exercises & stretches for my back. Talk about boring though... But ya gotta keep moving.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I walk as much as i can when the weather is okay but i do not like cold windy days. When my husband retired and got diabetes and copd he started walking with me and as long as i can i will continue. Thanks Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I take 5-10mgs every day, sometimes 15 if I am having a very bad day and I DON'T gain weight, so I guess I am lucky. As Kim has already said, swimming is a very good idea, it's good exercise that doesn't hurt and you feel pretty good after you come out of the pool.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire