Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immuran Questions - Experiences Needed Please

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Immuran Questions - Experiences Needed Please

I really don't think the methotrexate is working all that great and I don't want to increase the dosage. Doc had given me the option to either go on the meth or immuran when we were discussing medications. I chose the meth because i had read that immuran has an increased cancer risk. I also read that side effects were not as bad as those w/methotrexate.

I really don't care if my hair falls out! It is so thin at this point and icky, i'd rather it just fall out anyway! lol My main concern is the stomach issues and the extreme achy tiredness after taking the meth.

BTW - I may have posted this before, but I really can't remember!
    Lauren

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hola

ive been on imuran for 8 months now, straight from mtx, ive had soo many complications with taking it here we call it azathioprine, im on a slow up to 200mg for 3 months to see if it helps with lupus and stuff, dr says if it dont work then im back onto mtx, i really dont wanna go back, anywho i dint know about the increased cancer risk...im affraid the docs failed to mention that little number to me, however i do know that imuran/azathioprine was orrignally used for chemo treatment it is a chemo drug like mtx, but docs dont really use it for cancer anymore so mtx is used with other treatments, imuran/azathioprine has worked better for people with auto immune deseases.
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

Thanks

I've been on Imuran, 100 mg daily, since September. Although my rheumy said that my dose is too low to cause hair loss, I have lost approximately 50 percent of my hair since Nov/Dec.

I have had no side effects from Imuran, other than occasional low WBC's. I have had no benefit either so we've agreed that I would stop taking it.

Thanks

I went back to mtx after going out of mill on sick leave. I have little side effects when i started hving it injected in my bum check (lol). Had lots when injected in abdomin. Imuran helped very litle and doc wws hapy when i asked to chnge back. I heard about tumor risk also. Good luck.
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Thanks

Well i saw my psychiatrist today and he wants me not to mess about waiting for a rheumo appointment but to get intouch with the hospital to get started on Anti-cancer - Immuno-suppressents.

I've read about the 3 he's advised me on and christ the side affects are never ending and have'nt got a clue wheather to ring the hospital or not.
    Last edited by Peridot20_Gem; 05-29-2011 at 05:31 AM.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Although I believe we all must be aware of what the side effects are for the medications that we take or are thinking about taking we have to be sure that we are not putting too much into them. Some of the side effects are there because many people have them while others are so rare they are almost non existent but due to the laws of the land we, the consumer, must be notified. When looking at the possible side effects make sure you see what percentage of people have had that. According to my doctor and pharmacist little to no worry should be given at the ones rated are <5. That basically means that someone in the study had that happen to them at some point but they don't even know if it was related to the medicine because there was not a high enough percentage to even rate it.

I am NOT saying not to be concerned but I am saying sometimes we get so wrapped up in what COULD happen due to the meds we stop those same meds that could help us get better. I have done this myself so please don't think that I am jumping on anyone. Just trying to give a different perspective
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Corella (06-13-2012), steve.b (05-16-2011)

Thanks

I agree with tgal on interpreting side effect info. I have been on Imuran for about 4 years (I think) and haven't had ANY side effects, and I take 175mg. Not even infections. It certainly has improved my quality of life. For me, the risk of side effects is worth keeping my brain, kidneys, muscles, lungs and heart from being damaged or further damaged. In my few weeks here I have seen posts from folks who are very sick, but are reluctant to take immunosuppresants (I think that is a more accurate term than "chemo", as these drugs are primarily used for organ transplants and autoimmune disease) and/or prednisone. For me, a disease that is already kicking your butt is a lot scarier than potential side effects from the meds. I'm an RN, married to a pharmacist, so maybe that makes me less afraid of medications.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-28-2011)

Thanks

So Red, what medication are you on, and are you feeling any better?
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

Well Mari is right in what she says and soon i'm to see my dermo and hopefully one of the two tablets will match with my bloods and both carry high side affects but i'm giving it ago, the scratching and irritation is driving me mad with my skin.

When my liver is sorted out they want me on Methotrexate and i will give that ago because i have come to understand now there is only so much of the symptoms of Lupus we can take and i've about had enough, as the paracetamol don't do that much except drug me up and make me look on another planet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peridot20_Gem View Post
    When my liver is sorted out they want me on Methotrexate and i will give that ago because i have come to understand now there is only so much of the symptoms of Lupus we can take and i've about had enough, as the paracetamol don't do that much except drug me up and make me look on another planet.
    My daughter has been giving herself Methotrexate injections once a week since December with good results and no side effects. She decided to do injections because she has chronic nausea and wanted to avoid making it worse. The primary benefit is that she has been able to come down on her pain meds, but her case is so complicated by dysautonomia and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome that it is hard to tell if other symptoms have improved. I hope you are able to tolerate Methotrexate, and that it helps you. When do you find out about your liver?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

Peridot20_Gem (05-29-2011)