Thread: Considering disability...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Considering disability...

I'm looking into the process of filing for disability. It seems like a very hard process to start and the information they need seems so very vast. I know it's hard to even be considered for disability and alot of people have to do it over again... I'm not really looking forward to this but I'm not working, havent for the past year due to being sick and have piles of medical bills piling up every time I have to go to the doctors.... My fiancÚ can only pay for so much of this before it gets to be too much for us. I hate having to relay on him to pay for everything all the time since I'm not working, we were doing ok but now it's getting a little overwhelming with all the doctor bills....
    Any advice on this process that can be given is appreciated.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toradoradi View Post
    I'm looking into the process of filing for disability. It seems like a very hard process to start and the information they need seems so very vast. I know it's hard to even be considered for disability and alot of people have to do it over again... I'm not really looking forward to this but I'm not working, havent for the past year due to being sick and have piles of medical bills piling up every time I have to go to the doctors.... My fiancÚ can only pay for so much of this before it gets to be too much for us. I hate having to relay on him to pay for everything all the time since I'm not working, we were doing ok but now it's getting a little overwhelming with all the doctor bills....
    Any advice on this process that can be given is appreciated.
    Hi Tori! You are right it is such a difficult process. I am still waiting after a year. They make it difficult hopint we will give up I think LOL

Seriously, Like you I felt really guilty at first until some wonderful people explained to me that this is what I worked all those years for. At first I tried to do it myself since I had worked with legal docs all my adult life. umm.. not smart. Between the brain fog and their need for every detail of my life at this moment I became overwhlemed pretty quickly. I even had an attorney friend helping me (not officially). Turns out that 80% of the people who apply are turned down. Please forgive my brian fog but I can't remember if you have an official Lupus diagnois's or not. If you do then it should be pretty easy. If you then let me know because I have some information that I hope will help!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, my doctor did say I had lupus. And he started me on the meds for it. So I'm guessing it's official?? I'm going back in on the 7th to see him and I know he ran a lupus panel because I got the bill for it! Lol so I'm sure that will be more conclusive then when I see him. I was goin to wait to apply until after this second app just to be sure this is still what he's thinking. I'm sure it is though, and he seems pretty sure that's what it was last time I was there, so I think this next visit is just a check in and to confirm for sure from the blood tests he ran.

Thanks

What I am about to say is just my experience and it may not be what works for everyone.

I tried doing the Disability thing myself with the help of an attorney friend of mine (not a SS attorney). I sent them all of my medical records and every stitch of information they asked for but after almost 5 months I was denied for the SS because they said that although they believed that I couldn't do the work I had done before they believed that I could do something. I later learned that my decision to deal with many of my issues (seizures etc) myself and not go to the doctor harmed my case. My attorney friend sat me down and talked to me about getting an attorney that does this for a living because they understand the ins and outs of the process. I didn't pay anything up front but they do get 25% of the money that I am given (if approved it goes back to your original date of disability). I need the money but I need the insurance that goes with it more.

I went ahead and and signed the papers and it has really been a relief for me. The first thing she said was "go to the ER" every time you need to. I don't care if you can afford it or not just GO". I haven't been approved yet but it is looking better and it has mentally been a relief for me.

Lupus itself is not automatic acceptance but it is very helpful! Go to the doctor for everything going on. I know it is hard when our income has gone down but it is what they look at. I have the exact criteria on the other computer and I will find it to post here. Over 80% of people are denied the first time around so don't be discouraged if it happens to you. You may be one of those like Rob that got it first "rattle out of the box' (another mom saying) or you could be me and others that it takes a longer time. Just know that you earned this by working up until now and it is NOT being a moocher
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (04-02-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do you know what I think is ridiculous... The people who have disability for no reason! I literally know someone who has disability because thy ADD! How is that even possible? I'm sorry but I can claim I have ADD... Also I know someone who has it because they get "headaches"...I know headaches can be hard to deal with sometimes but they seem to function outside of everything else... So why can't they work?? Ah its so frustrating to see these people that have it and don't actually need it and then to have people like you or half the other people herethat have a hard time getting it. If you can get disability for a freaking headache and ADD then I should have apply years ago! Ive had migraine my whole life, and I'm pretty sure I could pull off ADD... But lupus must not be tha serious... Just saying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toradoradi View Post
    Do you know what I think is ridiculous... The people who have disability for no reason! I literally know someone who has disability because thy ADD! How is that even possible? I'm sorry but I can claim I have ADD... Also I know someone who has it because they get "headaches"...I know headaches can be hard to deal with sometimes but they seem to function outside of everything else... So why can't they work?? Ah its so frustrating to see these people that have it and don't actually need it and then to have people like you or half the other people herethat have a hard time getting it. If you can get disability for a freaking headache and ADD then I should have apply years ago! Ive had migraine my whole life, and I'm pretty sure I could pull off ADD... But lupus must not be tha serious... Just saying.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

i know the system is different in different countries.
    but remember to keep a paperwork trail.
    it is not just good enough to be incapacitated....
    you must be seen to be incapacitated.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

there is a thread titled

Disability and SSI Denied

i suggest anyone seeking disability read it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (04-02-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Tori,

My father helped me when I first applied for disability, and one thing he did that really sped up the process was to personally take the various forms my Dr. and Rheumo had to sign directly to them at their offices and had them signed on the spot. He then hand delivered the forms to the caseworker at the Social Security office who was handling my case. The caseworker said that by doing this, it probably cut an entire month off of the whole process. I'm very thankful that I was approved on the first try. Too many people have to fight far too long for disability. I hope the process goes fast for you, and that you get your approval sooner than later.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-01-2011 at 02:22 AM.