Thread: Failed Autoimmune Suppression Mechanism New Clue To Lupus

Thanks

Default Failed Autoimmune Suppression Mechanism New Clue To Lupus

Researchers at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Cambridge, Mass., in collaboration with Jackson Laboratory scientists, have identified a regulatory defect that drives lupus...

More...

Thanks

Well I am sure that someone who is more knowledgeable to Lupus will understand this research paper. I was wondering what this sentence means?

The new paper, Roopenian explains, is the first to demonstrate the potential breakdown of this suppression mechanism in lupus. "Overcoming this defect," he says, "offers a potential approach prevent lupus."

Does that mean that there is a posibility that something can be done to prevent Lupus from developing, and if we already have Lupus, then it is too late? Or am I totally on the wrong track?
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I read it like this - Lupus is caused by an overactive immune system which is the result of a breakdown in our immune systems ability to supress itself when it is in contact with "good" cells. The research shows that correcting this system breakdown will become a future corrective therapy (I assume they mean with drugs) to treating (not curing) Lupus
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SandyR View Post
    I read it like this - Lupus is caused by an overactive immune system which is the result of a breakdown in our immune systems ability to supress itself when it is in contact with "good" cells. The research shows that correcting this system breakdown will become a future corrective therapy (I assume they mean with drugs) to treating (not curing) Lupus
    Yes, this is how I read it too. Interesting stuff.

Thanks

I agree with SandyR, the drug would only be able to help people and my god it would need to be a strong drug because the autoimmune disease fights it's own body and you'd need something good to compat that.