Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default positive DS-DNA

What does this mean when it comes to LUPUS

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hey there,

Antibodies to double-stranded DNA (anti-dsDNA) are antibodies that attack the DNA -- the genetic material -- inside the cell nucleus. Anti-dsDNA antibodies are found in half of the people with lupus, but lupus can still be present even if these antibodies are not detected.

Basically this just means that these antibodies are found in about 50% of Lupus patients and their sole job is to attack their own DNA. You can still have Lupus and not have the Anti DS-DNA antibody. There may be false negatives in this test but very seldom is there a false positive.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

my ds-dna has been positive for the last 6 blood draws and positive ana too Well I guess that my Dr is right must be Lupus ! I still have hope that they might be wrong. But I know down deep they are right

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It sounds like lupus but i really hope they are wrong because this illness sucks. good luck and have faith that no matter what happens you will be ok.
    good luck
    slim

Blog Entries
    Thanks

If it is Lupus (sounds like it could def be) then it is good that you were diagnosed so early and easily before you had symptom interference. Now you can start disease intervention and hope that you will not ever become as severely sick as you might have been without an early diagnosis.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have had this since 1990 it just never came positive in bloodwork. I have many sick day's and alot of pain. headaches that last for days and today was a suck day!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I guess that I never explained to everyone that I have had many symptoms for many years joint pain headaches rashes etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!