Thread: Back to work?!?

Thanks

Red face Back to work?!?

My doctor has given the ok for me to return to work! This is great news since i've been out on disability for almost a year now. I'm trying to stay positive and think of this as a new beginning but in the back of my head I'm a little worried of what happens if I get sick again? My position was filled while I was on out on disability..so I have to start from scratch..that's also very scary. I have gone for interviews when I was on disability-in hopes that I would be off of it soon...and it seems like as soon as an employer hears that I am no longer working at my old position because I went out on disability then they no longer concider me. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you have to tell a new employer that you were out on disability? What is the best way to go about finding a new job? It all seems unfair..I went out on disability to take care of myself..if I never thought I could be losing my job at the time. Well on the upside I am feeling good enough to work so now I just have to figure out how to get a job and not get sick again!
    "Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time."-Deborah Chaskin

Thanks

Sorry no one has replied to you yet. I'm about to lose my job from having been off work so much the last year and a half. But I've still got the job for now. The thought of trying to find another job is scary... All I can say is keep smiling, keep up the cheer and keep trying. Sounds trite, doesn't it? Sorry 'bout that. But we're praying for you. Hopefully, someone who's been in your shoes can come along and give some better, knowledgeable advice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

predcheeks (02-09-2011)

Thanks

thank you for replying. i have been so bummed out..i got sick the day after i wrote that and was taken off of disability the same day. yucck!!! so now i have no job and no disability and feel horrible. my doctor increased my prednisone..and i'm wide awake at 3:30am writing this about to scream! my joints will not stop throbbing and my heart is racing from the prednisone..so frustrating! ..just had to vent! thank you for listening
    i'm sorry you are going through work issues also. i remember it being so hard just to get out of bed in the morning on the bad days to get into work..i was late/off so much that i knew i had to take a break and take care of myself. is that the point it's getting to for you? i'm hoping it was worth it for me to stop working for a bit to figure out more about my limits and what medicines work for me. it's definately not easy having to start over trying to find a job especially when you never know when a flare up may come! Hopefully someone has some good advice for the job search after being out on disability.. i keep wondering if i am going to be able to work if i keep getting flare ups-it's so depressing to think of not being able to work..i loved my job uhg bad night..hopefully tomorrow will be a better day! thank you for letting me ramble!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

This is a rough place to be! I have been without a job and without disability since April of last year. I know how rough it is. Are you sure you are ready to go back to work? If so then I hope you get a job quickly. If not I say TALK TO THE DOCTOR!

Hugss
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

tgal..thank you! looks like i'll be putting a little more thought into going back to work so soon. i guess all i can do is take it one day at a time for now and have a serious talk with my rheumy. i read your post about having a VERY productive chat with your doctor--CONGRATS on finally getting the diagnosis that was so much needed!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by predcheeks View Post
    tgal..thank you! looks like i'll be putting a little more thought into going back to work so soon. i guess all i can do is take it one day at a time for now and have a serious talk with my rheumy. i read your post about having a VERY productive chat with your doctor--CONGRATS on finally getting the diagnosis that was so much needed!
    Funny you bring that up. I wasn't going to mention this because it is a "do as I say not as I do" kind of thing but here goes.

As I posted about the other day I finally had a doctor look at me and say "this is Lupus". It made my day on a personal level but I knew most docs would not agree because I don't have the blood work to back it up. This brings me to my current status. I have not been on my Plaquinil in about 2 weeks. I know it sounds silly (ok, stupid) but I decided that IF it is the plaquinil that is keeping my bloodwork from showing what is going on with me and it is the blood work that the SS docs want to see I would stop it. I knew it took the plaquinil about 6 months to fully work on me so I figured it would take a few months to see that I wasn't on it. WRONG!

Monday I noticed a stye in my eye and didn't snap that I hadn't had one of those in about 8 months (since the plaquinil really kicked in). Last night I noticed not 1, not 2 but 3 hard spots on my head (2 in the hair and 1 on the forehead) that will be boils in the next 3 to 4 days. Although my hair never stopped falling out I do have a round patch of hair that fell out. I didn't notice it because it is under other hair but it must have just happened because no new hair is there. It is amazing how much the plaq. did for me. Even I didn't know it had fixed so many of the "little" problems because it handled stuff so slowly. It sure isn't as slow in letting things come back when you stop it!

PLEASE don't copy me and stop the Plaquinil. I know it is a stupid thing to do but I have not been able to get my SS/Dis and I have to be able to convince them within the next couple of months that I am sick or I have another years wait. If nothing else comes from this I now how no doubt that the plaquinil works
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

wow! you have to be careful! i am so worried about you that something else could happen while you are off the plaquinil that could be worse for you in the long term! i can't believe how hard it is for people with lupus to 'prove their disease' when we are living with it everyday! when my doctor told me i could work..i knew in my gutt that there was a chance i would get sick again-i should have spoke up then but i wanted to believe that i wouldn't! it's too late now for the disability through the workplace i guess but i could still apply for ss disability. do you happen to know if ss disability will still cover you if you are a student? i was thinking maybe going back to school is an option for now..less impact on my joints and i won't be so bored! ..but now sure how all of this disability stuff works. if we get approved for ss/dis then we feel like we're in remission for a while can you go off of it..then go back on if you get sick again? all of this is so confusing to me. i will never understand how people can struggle so much with a disease and not get the support they need. did you try talking to your doctor about other ways to talk ss/dis into approving your case? i am sure your rheumy wouldn't want you off the plaquinil. thinking of you and lots of hugs your way!