Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: im starting to get depressed. and not sure how to deal with it all...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unhappy im starting to get depressed. and not sure how to deal with it all...

well I have not yet been diagnose with lupus yet. i know i do have fibro. but I'm not feeling well at all.. i found out that i now have arthritis in my right hip, also tendinitis in my right hip.. last week i had to be rushed to the hospital cause i thought i was having a heart attack. thank god it wasn't but it was pericarditis (fluid around the heart) two weeks ago i had a really bad case of pink eye. i seem to get everything. my joints and mussels hurt everyday. i get get shooting pain going down my legs. my fingers hurt and boy I'm so tired and have trouble sleeping. and i get headaches. and my Ana blood work came out a low positive..im starting to get depressed. i feel sick all the time.. i have no energy at all. and I'm at of work this week for the chest pain. its Feb 1st and i already used all most all my sick time.. thank god i have a wonderful boyfriend. i just hope he loves me enough that he wont leave me because of all of this.. why wont the dr's diagnose me.. he did put me on Plaquenil. i started it in Dec. i know you all told me it can take up to six months to work.. and i feel like my head gets foggy at times. i seem to get confused sometimes and i have trouble remembering things.. will this ever go way..

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Having any diease can make you feel depressed. It sounds like you have plenty of things on your plate to deal with right now. Sometimes it takes a long time to get the right diagnosis but do not give up. We are here to vent on and maybe give some answers to your questions. Please feel free to ask anything and there are more than enough able bodied people to help you along the way. Love Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks Bonita. i just don't understand why it takes so long for diagnosis someone with lupus.. now i have fluild around the heart and i never had that problem before.. what is next. and im already out of sick time at work ..

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi tracy,

i am glad that you are already on plaquenil. please give it time to work....it is so frustrating that it takes so long, but it really can help. After i had been on plaquenil for 6 months, and was getting very little relief, my dr. started me on methrotrexate, and that really helped to get my lupus under control.

you might want to call your dr. and ask for a steroid shot(can't remembe the name....yukkkyyy brain fog). whenever i get into a flare and just can't get out of it, my dr. gives me this shot , and it knocks out the flare. ....something like solumedrol...

stay in touch, there is always someone around who can help, or just listen.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Tracy,

(((hugs))) Many of us have been sitting in your shoes feeling depressed and frustrated and can empathize with you. I don't know why it takes so long to get a diagnosis either, but I find that I feel more achy and cranky and generally more blah in the winter and for me I have to fight to make sure I am active in something so I don't get depressed. It used to be a physical thing I was active in - like the gym or dancing or hiking but I just can't do that like I used to so now it's tutoring an ESL adult 1x/week. It won't solve your problems, but finding a hobby out of the house at least once a week will give you a little break from thinking of them. And this is a good place to also let out those feelings and share them in a safe place where you are understood. Hang in there, the sunshine and the spring are coming soon and hopefully they will bring you some good answers.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

Tracyl50 (02-03-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

PS- What part of NY are you in?
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

dear tracey i am sorry you are depressed it can be hard to deal with but for some of us depression comes with the disease try to relax and i hope you get the answers you need vry soon hugs kim l

Thanks

Hi Tracy,
    So sorry you're not feeling well, Hope you feel better soon. It took dr's 7 yr's to finaly get
    mine half way figured out, with hundreds of test, and enough of my blood for my whole community i think. Three rumatologist, 2 neurologist, and lot's of other dr's and e.r. visit's.
    I also have the brain fog, i have front lobal dementia, now short term memory is shot
    my new weard thing is i will gather dirty laundry and be bringing it to my laundry room
    and nearly every time i have to pass my kitchen trash can to put the dirty laundry in the laundry room, i will put the dirty laundry in my trash can nearly every time! LOL!
    Thank goodness most of the time after i drop it in trash i catch myself.

Hopeing your plaquenil will kick in soon and you get to feeling better!
    Sending Gentle Hug's your way!!!!! Diane,
    ~Where Hope Grow's, Miracle's Blossom~
    Diagnosed,
    (CNS) Vasculitis, Lupus, Neuro-Behcet's, Raynaud's, Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, Earley M.S., Buerger's Syndrome.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Welcome to the world of brain fog! I posted to this thread yesterday but it isn't here. I remember typing it out but apparently I didn't save it!

Anyway, As Bonita said earlier, depression comes not only from the situation we are in but from the disease itself. Fibro has the "brain fog" just like Lupus does. Remember these diseases affect the organs and the brain is a major organ in your body. I agree with Phyllis that it is a good thing you are on the plaquinil. It takes it 4-5 months to really start working but it will make you feel a bit better.

There are a few other things that you can do to help (not really fix) the fog and depression.

1. Try not to stress. I know this is hard but stress is one of the things that can put us in/aggravate a flare. There are some things you can fix or do something about. There are some things that simply "are what they are". Try to figure out the difference and deal with the ones that you can do something about and just find a way to accept or adjust to the others. This will make you feel better in so many ways

2. Keep track of the things that you do so that you can look back to find some common triggers that make you feel bad. What I mean by this is if you are feeling really bad and you look back at your other flare days and the days leading up to the flare you might find some things in common. Were you at the grocery store the day before your current flare? If so you may be having issues with the florescent lighting in the stores. Many of that are photosensitive cannot deal with florescent lighting either. Once you find the triggers you can make adjustments so that you lessen the effects these activities have on you.

Doing just these two things can put you a little more in control which does help with the depression. I do want to point out that since these diseases affect the brain many Lupus patients have to go on antidepressants and that is nothing to be ashamed of. If we understand that the rashes and joint pain needs meds because the disease is attacking them we should be able to understand that our brain is being attacked and may need some meds as well.

Hugs to you. I hope today is better
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

im in kingston.. but in the summer maybe moving down by liberty...