Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Security Benefit's...denied. >:o

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Social Security Benefit's...denied. >:o

hey everyone! i hope all is well! i would like to just vent for a minute or two, cuz honestly, i'm really upset about this situation i am in. i applied for social security benefits, to help pay for medical expenses and what not, seeing as how i dont have a year long job, and i have school expenses to pay for. all of that tends to add up to a pretty big bill.

i went through the LONGGG application process, and then did the phone interview. they contacted Childrens Hospital as well as my pediatrician (everyone who dealt with my diagnosis and what not)
    my parents got a letter yesterday in the mail ( i live on campus, so i had it sent there instead) and it said that i was denied because my diagnosis of Lupus won't in any way stop me from living a normal life and working just like the average person.

....what i don't understand is why drug addicts and people with conditions that are not anywhere near life threatening can get this money...but i get denied ?
    needless to say, i now have to contact a lawyer to fight this for me.
    but its stress that i don't need, at all ! UGHHH !
    i was wondering if anyone else had to deal with this????
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I seriously hate the SS Administration. I too have been denied and I am in the appeals process. Below you will find a link with a list of "approved diagnosis" from the SS for people over 18 and then the one for people under 18.

Over 18

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/profes...ltListings.htm

Under 18

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/profes...odListings.htm

I have been fighting since July of last year and just was turned down initially in Dec. I hope you have better luck and that the above information is helpful
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks !
    it really makes me mad !! my mom tried to get it for me when i was first diagnosed when i was 16 but they went off my moms income and since we own 2 houses (even though its not like we make anything off of it) they said we didn't qualify.
    but she said that whenever i turned 18 to try again and i would get it forsure, because i really don't have a steady income or anything. but i still got denied.
    ughh. when i go home next weekend i'm going to be calling a lawyer. its just so frustrating !

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It won't affect you in any way from having a normal life as much as the next person? Are you FLIPPING kidding me?! Why is disability so messed up in the US? I was able to get on it within 2 months, provincial disability, and I was also invited (yep, invited) to apply for federal disability just to see what happens, and I can be on BOTH of them at the same time if I get approved.

It's a life long, devastating disease, and their reason for denial is complete BS in my opinion. I am really sorry you were denied and I hope something eventually works out for you.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

Blog Entries
    Thanks

exactly ! they don't understand how much having lupus affects EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you do in life anymore ! because of lupus, i can't be the carefree teenager i used to be. i have to limit what i do and everything ! its sickening to think they don't think its a big deal !

i'm def not giving up on this ! i'm fighting for whats right!

Thanks

Hi Ashley,
    Keep fighting it, kiddo. It seems that everyone has to apply and appeal a couple of times before getting approved.

I can't even ask for it, since I haven't paid into the SS system. Why??? The stupid school systems in Texas don't pay into SS.
    Instead, they "opt out" of SS and have their own retirement system (which lost money big time in the economic downturn).
    If I had remained there as a teacher long enough to take retirement from them, I would have been disqualified from receiving
    SS spouse benefits. Since I've been my husband's "business partner" for nearly 35 years, that would not be right!
    The Texas system is really messed up!

I'm just plain lucky that I'm covered under my hubby's excellent insurance.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

oh my Marla, thats crazy!
    im happy that his insurance can cover everything for you
    and trust me, i'm going to keep fighting!

Thanks

i am sorry ashley the way you have been treated let them get lupus and see how it affects there lives i bet they would make sure they got there benifits keep fighting for your rights many hugs kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

kim, you're so right. if only they knew what its really like. ughhh!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashleybaby715 View Post
    and it said that i was denied because my diagnosis of Lupus won't in any way stop me from living a normal life and working just like the average person.
    WTF?

Just when you think you've heard it all, some idiot comes along and says this. This has to be one of the most ignorant damn things I have ever read. Lupus is chronic, there is no cure, and it's sometimes fatal. But hey, don't let any of those trivial things stop you from working and living a normal life. Absolutely ridiculous.

I hope you can find lawyer to help you with this Ashley.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 01-29-2011 at 12:18 AM.