Thread: Question about test results

Thanks

Default Question about test results

Hi all,

I'm looking at my CBC results from December and am wondering if anyone has had a low RDW (red blood cell) count, and a low MPV (platelet production) count, and what it means-if anything. They aren't significantly low but are below the "normal" range. I also have high cholesterol-I am a vegetarian for bleep's sake............

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

have a good day,

Wendy

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Wendy,

These two tests actually go together when being read. One thing to remember is that if they are just slightly out of range it doesn't always mean there is a problem. It may just mean it is something that they want to watch

RDW measures the width and variation of the red blood cells. If there were evidence of iron deficiency anemia or decrease of vitamin B12 then the red blood cells would be usually wider or increase. The MCV is the true measurement for deficiencies

The MPV measurement is a more subtle type of measurement than a simple platelet count, and a patient’s MPV may enable a doctor to detect a problem before it shows up as a low platelet count. Simplistically, the basic reason for this is that newly produced platelets tend to be larger than older platelets. Therefore, if a patient’s blood test result does not register a low platelet volume, but does show a reduced mean platelet volume measurement, this suggests that fewer new platelets are being produced, which may be an early indicator of a serious problem.

Hope this helps
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-26-2011)

Thanks

Default thanks

Thanks for the info. Mari.

wendy