Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lupus at 19

Thanks

Default Lupus at 19

Hi, I'm new to this support group, but i am hoping to get a lot of love and support here. I am 19 years old and don't know how to deal with having Lupus. I fear i am falling into depression or i may have already im just choosing to ignore the signs because i don't want to be sad. I was told i had lupus when i was 16 but that it was only on my skin because the only symptom i was showing was the butterfly rash. I had never had any pain or a flair up until the end of Jan 2010. I had my first ever flair up. It was so bad i was in the hospital for a week. i had to drop out of my first year of college. My doctor said it was best if i took the year off, so that is what i did i spent all of 2010 at home with Lupus. I thinks the worst part was not getting sick. i think it was not being able to do the things i did before. I cried a lot in 2010 but i don't what to cry anymore. Im tired of feeling alone and having no one to talk to is not every helpful. I need to talk to people who know what im going through. Most of all i need your help to show me what i can do to make living with lupus at 19 more bearable.
    PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    thank you in advance

Thanks

Hello ariela,
    Welcome to the WHL and you get all the love and support you need from our large family, as we're all suffering like yourself but in different ways.
    I was born with it but never diagnosed till 2yrs back and was told this year i have Lupus and refering depression and being low i'm like yourself but there's so many member's who cope well around the disease and you'll get comment's from them and full support in due course.
    I had the butterfly rash in my late 20s and i'm now 42 it was sore but took such a good while to heal up, it's the raynauds disease which causes that and flare ups of rashes.
    Well at the moment i'm in the same boat as yourself finding it hard to cope but when i'm down and need to let lose or cry, someones always here for you and the threads will learn you alot about Lupus.

It will be lovely getting to know you. Luv Terri xxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot_Gem For This Useful Post:

ariela (01-26-2011)

Thanks

Ariela, I'm sorry you're going through this. I've just been recently diagnosed so wont offer you too much as I am trying to educate myself as much as possible with this desease. Thats the best thing you can do for yourself, its so different for everyone. Try to take it easy and not let things get to you, I know easier said than done I need to take my own advice. You will get lots of great advice on here. Sending you lots of virtual hugs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chikititalinda For This Useful Post:

ariela (01-26-2011)

Thanks

My heart goes out to you, darling. I was young when I got my first AI disease but not as young as you. All I can tell you is that your life has value and you will learn to see the strengths you have and help others overcome obstacles. It will make you stronger and for that we are blessed. It may not be the life you envisioned but because it's different doesn't mean it is hopeless. I know it doesn't seem that way now and this is your time to learn, but you WILL get there and be able to live a fruitful life. I'm here, as are many others, if you ever need to talk. (((HUGS)))

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDog For This Useful Post:

ariela (01-26-2011)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Arielia;
    You will, most certainly, find love, support, understanding, and caring here. You will also find that we are more than happy to provide you with information, advice, and suggestions to help you live with this disease and maintain some form of life.
    Managing this disease does mean that you will have to make some lifestyle changes in order to avoid flare-ups. You must, at all costs, avoid exposure to the sun. If you must be in the sun, it is important that you cover your body with sunscreen (minimum SPF of 45). Do this in the winter, summer, spring, and fall!! Also, keep your body covered in clothing to restrict any sun exposure to your skin (a hat and sunglasses are also advisable).
    Try to do some form of exercise on a regular basis. Preferably, a form of low-impact exercise (swimming, walking, yoga, pilates). It is important that you try to exercise regularly.
    Eat a healthy, well balanced diet, the diet recommended by the American Heart Association has been approved, by many doctors, for Lupus patients. There are some foods that we are told to avoid, such as high protein foods, soy products, alfalfa sprouts, and excessive caffeine. Foods that are recommended include; Iron-rich foods, fish, antioxidants, vitamins (Vitamin E, zinc, vitamin A, and the B vitamins are all beneficial in a lupus diet. Vitamin C can increase your ability to absorb iron and is a good source of antioxidants. Vitamin D is especially important for people with lupus because we need to avoid the sun, and that can result in lower absorption of vitamin D. Calcium and vitamin D are known to help reduce the risk of osteoporosis).
    Take your medications as prescribed and keep all of your doctor's appointments. One of the most important things that I advocate is EDUCATION! Learn as much as you can about the disease, how it affects you personally, its medications, its treatments, and what they mean to you.
    Of course, we are here to help you in any way that we can and as much as we can. Please know that you are not alone when you are here with us and that we truly understand what you are dealing with. Come to us at any time, day or night, and you will always find that there is someone here willing to help you.
    Welcome to our family

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Finding out something is wrong with you right when you're about to jump into college and the real world really is a downer, but once you get things under control it becomes manageable. Im 18 and was diagnosed 2 years ago almost so I know what you're going through. If you ever need to talk Im here. =)

Thanks

welcome whl i am sorry you are feeling so bad we will be here to help you as much as you want and you will have sympathetic ear anytime you need to vent hugs kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey Ariela, how is today for you? Did the sun shine or did it rain? Did the disease bite or was he toothless?
    I was 18 when I was diagnosed, so I'm not going to tell you to cheer up or buck up or stay positive, because within one year, you stopped crying, found this forum and wrote honestly so you're pretty far ahead of the game
    Sending you a cyber hug,
    Shaista xx

http://shaistatayabali.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Hi Ariela,
    How have you been feeling lately and hows your flare up?? I hope you feeling ok and i know that sounds a soft question and your not well but we all hope one another have better days than others.

Thanks

Ariela,

I know how you feel. I was diagnosed when I was 18, and im 24, almost 25 now. Its been a tough battle at times, I wont lie, but I managed to graduate with my bachelors degree in psychology, get married, have a beautiful son, and now im working on my masters degree in counseling. It has been very difficult at times, and not having insurance hasn't helped, but now I've got insurance and will soon get treated again. You will be able to go to school, but you may have to take it slow and online classes are a great option if it is available to you. I wish you all the luck and great health to get you through school. Some advise, always be honest and upfront with your teachers, and they will be more accommadating and accepting when you need to miss class. I hope this helps, and ask me if you have any questions.

God bless,
    Amanda