Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Spots on Back, Arms, Hands and Shins

Thanks

Default Red Spots on Back, Arms, Hands and Shins

My doctor said I have a lot of red spots on my back. I can see the ones on my hands, shins and forearms but I didn't know I had them on my back too. The don't itch or hurt but if I do scratch them they get a little flaky. She's not a Lupus expert and asked me if they were from Lupus. Too bad because she's the most attentive doctor I've ever had!! Anyone know if these are Lupus spots?

I'm also trying to figure out how I have a scar in my abdomen that looks like I had surgery from the inside. The endoscopy showed a perfectly healed cut that looked like it was made by a scalpel from one end of my abdomen to the other. My girlfriend said that maybe I really was abducted by aliens! LOL j/k

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

LOL@aliens! Man you came to the right forum! There are tons of SciFi freaks here to enjoy that line!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Gosh, I don't know if they are from Lupus or not as my first Rheuy appt. isn't until tomorrow. I have the exact same thing as you -- red dots everywhere. I have had them off and on (mostly on, unfortunately) for about 20 years.

I've been to many dermatologists, etc., and no one knows what they are. The ones on my arm itch to no end. The others don't.

My Lyme doctor said they were from Bartonella, but after being on abx for almost two years they haven't gone away. So, now I am wondering if maybe they are Lupus. He said it can take years to get rid of them b/c I have had them for so long. But I am becoming doubtful of that theory and am looking to Lupus.

If I get an answer at my appt tomorrow I will come back and let you know.

Thanks

Thanks Leelee. I've had them for quite a few years too but never thought much about it until my doctor pointed out that I have a lot of them on my back. I saw some pictures somewhere of Lupus spots and they look like those. My skin seems to be the organ effected the most and even though it can't kill me it sure can be miserable!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have a zillion of them. Fortunately, they don't itch, they just look odd. My dad has them so I figured I just inherited them from him. If they're Lupus related, it would explain why got a bunch more over the past few years.

Thanks

I've had them for a long time, too.
    Sometimes, one would get bigger (size of a dime or penny) and would get very red and itchy, then flaky. A PCP had one biopsied once a long time ago (before the AI diagnosis). She sort of freaked out because the lab found T-cells. She was watching for lymphoma.
    Now that I have the AI diagnosis, I'm thinking that it was from Lupus.
    I've noticed that my weekly MTX injections keep these sores and my scalp psoriasis under control. If I skip a couple of shots, I get a crop of sores on my arms or body and sores in my scalp.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi GoodDog,

Well, I went to my first rheumy appt today, but didn't find out anything of note about the red dots on my arms, chest, back, etc. He said he didn't know what they were, but they were not Lupus.

So I guess I am back to believing my Lyme doctor who says they are caused by Bartonella.

The rheumy pretty much said he didn't think I had Lupus, even though I had +ANA and +Smith antibodies (tested by my Lyme doctor). But, he re-tested me again to see if the results differed. He said he "might" consider Lupus if the results are still positive.

Totally OT, but it was such a disappointing visit. He was totally unconcerned and uninterested. It was dehumanizing in a way.

Best of luck with your red spots. If you find out what they are, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks

Oh Leelee, I'm so sorry. That's exactly why I don't want to go to a new Rheumy. I don't want to be put through that again after years of doctors dismissing my symptoms! It seems like they think if they tell you that you don't have Lupus it will somehow make you feel better but the symptoms are there none-the-less and all it does is feel dismissive. I've become protective of myself and tend to not even give doctors the option of not believing me.

Thanks

GoodDog,

Thanks for commiserating with me. I so totally understand where you are coming from -- it is the dismissive attitude of most doctors I have encountered that makes me hate going to them. And yet, like you said "the symptoms are there none-the-less".

Thanks

I have has spots like that, not on my back, but on my arms and legs, those are actually how my doctor realized i may have had Lupus. mine didnt itch either, they would just come and go. i thought they were hives or something like that, but they definitely weren't.