Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lupus and vision problems

Thanks

I was diagnosed in December 2008 with SLE and secondary Sjogren's-my GI system and mouth being impacted the most. In early 2009, I was prescribed my first pair of glasses, for distance, and am now wearing bifocals with the prescription being changed each time I've gone in for an exam. My vision is especially blurry upon awakening. The opthamologist says this is because as we age our eyes get drier. The opthamologist doesn't feel my eyes are "that" dry. I would have to agree that, generally speaking, they aren't. However, after heavy computer use they are extremely tired and burn like mad.

Because I'm light sensitive, have blue eyes and prone to migraines, I invested in prescription sunglasses with UV protection. They are for distance only as bifocals would have been way too expensive. They are rather large and wrap around my eyes to block the wind to prevent drying of the eyes. They are one of the best investments I've made in my health/comfort. They have made such a difference as the glare of the sun coming through the clouds can trigger a migraine.

I will be returning to UCSF for the SICCA Study next month and look forward to what their tests reveal after two years of being on Plaquenil, although I get regular eye exams, the testing through the study is second to none and consistently done under strict guidelines.

I don't believe my vision changes are age related. I just turned 46 and had perfect vision until 44 and suddenly I'm wearing glasses and am changing prescriptions every time I see the eye doctor? Even my DH, who has worn glasses for years and is 5 years my senior hasn't had a change in his RX in more than 5 years.

I really don't think it's Plaquenil either, but I'm not the expert. This is all very new to me.

Thanks for starting the thread, Nonna. It's interesting to read others' experiences and makes me wonder about the correlation with AI diseases.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I just been wondering if anyone has ever lost their sight because of this. I get premonitions and I feel like i'm preparing to be blind. I don't like this feeling and just needed to voice it. Call it venting if you want. I think I'm experiencing fear about it; which is very unusual for me.

Thanks

Hi Everyone.

I havnt had any trouble with my plaq. affecting my eyes...BUT.....
    When I was hospitalized for a huge flair, the pumped me full of steroids and as a result of that, my blood sugar had risen uncontrollably and they were giving me shots of insulin a number of times daily to bring it down. As a result of such a high gluclose level, it was building up on my retena and caused my vision to be horribly blurred for about two weeks. It was a side effect from the pred, and once I stoped the super high dose, my blood sugar and vision returned to normal. It was totally weird and scary. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

_Sarah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sarah,
    I never thought it could be related to the pred. that's something else to check on. I'm going to ask for a complete physical also.
    thanks for adding to the information on this thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi yes i was diagnosed with srjogrens last year only after members here told me to go for an eye check up as i was on plaqunil.I was shocked to learn i had it.In the UK we dont get told to get your eyes checked or i didnt anyway.Now eye drops help and i wear glasses with a tint as my vision isnt as good as it was since getting sick.Hope you go get that check up n physical soon.Goodluck.
    love
    Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thought I'd bring this forward since others have been asking about this subject. I have to add flashes of ligh on the edges of my vision, cornor of the eye area ... Per rif fer all. How's the for spelling by the way it sounds.

Anyway here it is
    nonna

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thought I'd bring this forward since others have been asking about this subject. I have to add flashes of ligh on the edges of my vision, cornor of the eye area ... Per rif fer all. How's the for spelling by the way it sounds.

Anyway here it is
    nonna

Thanks

I'll be seeing the ophthalmologist on Thursday.
    Thanks for the reminder to ask about my problems focusing.

BTW Nonna - peripheral - That is one of the things that my doc stresses about checking every time.
    He said that changes in peripheral vision are the first indicators of a problem caused by the plaquenil.

LOL - as a former teacher, I think that I had lots of practice seeing out of the edges of my eyes, and the back of my head, too!
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Last edited by magistramarla; 02-08-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks

Do the "flashes" on the peripheral portion of your vision happen when/as you blink, or maybe when you're chewing food or moving your mouth? Or do they happen arbitrarily as you're "looking" at something? Do they always "flash" in the same "quadrant" of the field of vision, like, always in the lower-right, or the upper-left? TMJ can pinch the optic nerves and cause all sorts of symptoms, as can fatigue, among other things.

My eyes blur and "clear", they get "gummy", "crusty" or may be fine, at any given time. I've not been able to associate any one thing with it, other than the blur can happen when my blood sugar goes up (pred), and I'll get blurry vision and "gummy" eyes when I flare, and I'll start getting crusty-eyed when I'm getting sick sick... Seems to follow the weather, but not always... A failure to focus (both optically and mentally), for me, gets worse with age... I see an opthamologist once a year WOF.
    Last edited by jmail; 02-08-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: I need a copy editor!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The flashes, according to my eye doctor are caused by fiction in the eye between the vitrious and the inside ofthe eye. It happens when I move my eyes to fast. Or jerk my head. Parkinson's is very active day so I think that's the reason.