Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Azathioprine any one been on it???

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Azathioprine any one been on it???

i'm just awaiting enzime test before starting Azathioprine and thoguht i would ask if any one been on it before that give me heads up on a side effects or how well it worked for them??

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hmmmm guessing as no one has replied that know on here has taken it!! so when i got the all clear to take it i will carry on replying on how i'm gonig incase anyone does start it!

Thanks

I was on it for many years with wonderful results...no prednisone.....but eventually after about 15 years it lost its effectiveness forme. no side effects at all....just needed monthly blood work

Thanks

On September 10th, I started taking 50 mg and it was increased to 100 mg two weeks later. Once the Imuran was at 100 mg daily, my rheumy had me reduce Plaquenil from 600 mg daily to 400 mg daily.

The only side effect I've had is horrible hair loss. It comes out it in clumps. When I wash my hair, I clean the drain and get a handful of hair. Then, when I brush my hair, the brush is full of hair and that's just the first pass through. I shed throughout the day and my husband is threatening to buy me a hairnet so I'll stop getting hair in our food. Luckily, I had very thick hair before starting Imuran, but if your hair is really thin I would start taking Biotin (a supplement) when you start taking the Imuran. I just started taking Biotin as the hair loss isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

I get labs drawn monthly to keep an eye on my WBCs. They tend to be low so my rheumy has me take 4 mg of folic acid daily.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks girls for the replies girls it has helped lots!!

bonusmum is Imuran the same thing as Azathioprine???

Thanks

Sorry, Imuran is the brand name of Azathioprine and so much easier to spell with cog fog!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

well got the all clear to start it so wish me luck and i will keep you updated on how i'm doing with and any side efffect for any future person taking it! xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerlishus - Heidi For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (01-19-2012)

Thanks

hey i am on 100mg of it atm and taking 15mg atm of steriods as well.. most of my side affects have been from the steriods.. i also havve ITP due to my SLE. hopefully i can come off the steriods soon.
    Roxiee25

Thanks

Hey There!

I am so glad to have read this post - I just started imuran a few days ago. I am worried about the hair loss... so I am hoping biotin takes care of that problem. I am on 5 mg of prednisone along with the imuran for now - the rheumy is hoping to eliminate the prednisone all together by February. I am only 25 and I want to have kids so my only fear is that this medication will be something I have to be on for a long long time, and you cannot conceive while taking imuran. I guess my health is #1 right now and I can think about the future and a family later once I have everything under control.

Does anyone know if you can take prednisone while pregnant?

Thanks a bunch!

Love,

Sarah
    Don't wait. The time will never be just right.

Thanks

Just recently I had a terrible reaction to Imuran.I have never had any difficulty taking meds previously. After having been on MTX for 4 months w/ no side effects but no improvement I was put on Imuran.
    After taking it for a few weeks I started feeling like I was getting a bad flu and all my usual aches and pains were getting more pronounced.

To make a long story short I ended up in the er w/ a fever of unknown origin.After chest x-ray,ekg,cat scan and lots and lots of blood work I was sent home to follow up w/gp and ruhemy.Nobody could definetively say what caused my illness but as soon as I stopped taking the imuran I got better.