Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith Antibodies

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Here is what Lupus.org has to say about the anti smith test. It is some really good information and explains what mysie said in a bit more detail

I had a positive anti-smith antibody test a couple of years ago. I was told that everyone with lupus does not always have this positive test, but everyone with a positive anti-smith antibody has lupus. Is this true? -- Holland, MI

A positive Smith antibody by itself does not mean that a person has lupus. An anti-Smith antibody is one of the important antibodies in lupus, but not everybody with this antibody has or will develop lupus. Whereas the antinuclear antibody is fairly nonspecific, anti-double-stranded DNA antibodies and anti-Smith antibodies more consistently indicate a person has lupus. Sjögren’s A antibodies and ribonuclear protein antibodies are also seen commonly in systemic lupus erythematosus patients. However, a positive lab test is not the same as having the clinical features of lupus. A clinical diagnosis depends on meeting the criteria set up to diagnose the disease. If the symptoms and objective signs and lab findings, including the antibody profile, match up, lupus can be diagnosed with some certainty. Lupus can also be diagnosed on the basis of a biopsy, such as of the skin or kidney. But a positive Smith antibody by itself does not mean that a person has lupus. You can read more about Diagnosing Lupus on lupus.org.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm glad you found us too. No one should have to feel lost and alone and helpless from a part of their health they can't control and don't understand. Many of us on here have struggled with depression from health struggles/diagnosis frustrations too. There are multiple threads on the subject you can find if you enter depression in the search box on the top right of the home screen.
    I feel very fortunate that my road hasn't been as bumpy as others. As frustrating as it is I am so grateful it isn't as bad as it can be. Stick around here - you'll get a lot of inspiration and assistance here.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Hi Leelee,
    Welcome to WHL! I'm about your age - 53, and I have much the same dx as Sandy - MCTD. The advice that you have gotten here is right. If you are very lucky, you will have a rheumy who will start treating you for the symptoms, rather than getting hung up in the lab reports. Many folks can be sero-negative (never have positive labs), but still benefit greatly from treatment.
    Keep looking for that great rheumy that you "click" with. I had one in Texas, then moved, and now I have a not-so-good one. I'm about to fire her and go to one at a teaching hospital.
    Good luck, and keep in touch,
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Leelee,
    I have always had positive antibodies, but a lot of people do, which is why unfortunately some doctors will write them off as nothing. My titers tend to fluctuate and increase as my symptoms do, but everyone is different.
    I was in remission for a very long time and "it's back" so I am going through my own dark period, I found this site the day the doctor confirmed that I'm in a flare and the people on this site have been so welcoming and warm that its helping me as I try to work through it.

I've had a few rheumatologist and I have to say I agree with Maria, you need to find one you like, and in my experience the ones at the teaching hospitals are better, I feel like they listen more and will work to find out what is wrong with you and how to treat it.
    Best of Luck to you