Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to handle work without a diagnosis

Thanks

Default how to handle work without a diagnosis

Good morning all!
    Just looking for a bit of advice as I wait (impatiently) for my March 4 appt. with the rheumy. Obviously my boss knows I've got something going on, as I have felt sick for a couple of months. She was pretty understanding in the past when my knee problems were just knee problems, before they evolved into all of this. (I did have surgery on my left knee last June, missed a lot of work before surgery and had worked at home quite a bit due to pain issues.) I have worked from home for a few days over the past 2-3 months because of whatever "this" is, too.

I hate to feel like I am being a wimp, taking advantage, etc. but as you guys know sometimes it's so hard to drag myself into the office. Is there some kind of rule about how to handle the ups and downs of your health before you have a diagnosis? I have been feeling worse and worse for the past couple of weeks as I have ignored my increased pain and obvious need for extra rest. I hate to turn into the "I don't feel good" girl til I know what's wrong with me, but... just because I don't have a diagnosis, that doesn't mean I don't feel awful!

How to approach my boss to talk about my problems? How to get my work done? So many questions, haha. This is all so frustrating and new to me still.

Thanks

This is a good question, but hard to answer.
    Even after you have a diagnosis, no matter if it is lupus, RA or any other AI disease, most people have no idea what they are. Therefore they still don't understand, mainly because we don't look sick.
    You can just hope for an understanding boss.
    Good luck to you on your rheumy visit.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I so understand this one.
    I took ill in 2004,summer.I was working full time,then had to stop for 6 weeks or more as i just lay there unable to do anything even talk much or eat.Didnt know what was happening.To cut a long story short,after lots of fighting with doctors i was dx with lupus,fibromyalgia,raynards,srogrens and many other things,to then be told my bloods were fine which made me feel like a fake!
    I went back part time,then 4 days,to the point at work they were giving me far too much for me to do on top of my own job.One day i woke up n just couldnt do it anymore.Its very hard i know,but i was given the label of an illness called M.E,in my eyes the get out label.So each day is an effort.Its hard to go from healthy to toally unable to do much.But you get through it.Its scarey,not allot of money,but you get through it some how.
    I dont look sick either.Some people at work took advantage and were plain right horrid.But i still tried my best but some will never understand i am actually sick.So hag in there n take it 1 day at a time.
    We will all support you.Its frustrating i know,but we are here for you.Sorry you too are going through all this.
    YOU ARE NOT A WIMP!!!!!!
    Lots f love
    Amanda.xxxx
    Last edited by Angel Oliver; 01-20-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

thank you so much, just getting an "amen sista" is encouraging. I am currently insured by my employer rather than my husband's because there is no deductible. Makes sense for the time being since I am always at the doctor, but means I have to come to work! I wasn't planning on working forever because I want to have kids, of course with AI things that is another different can of worms and discussion, isn't it?

Also I have a mom going through cancer treatment out of state, so I am really the "working remotely" champ of the office anyway. When it rains...

amanda how are you doing now?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

This is such a great topic. When I was working it was so difficult but there are some things you can do to make going to the office easier. Although they (your employer) don't have to allow you to work if you can't do the job (ie come in as is what happened with me) they are required to make reasonable accommodations for you. The majority of us have issues with the sun and UV rays which also means florescent lighting. I would go to work and in my office alone there were two giant florescent lights above my desk. Before I knew this I found that I would leave work exhausted and hurting. I would spend the evenings and weekends in bed trying to recuperate.

When the rheumy said "classic lupus" to me and I began to look everything up I found out about the lighting. I went to work and turned one of the 2 over head lights off in my office. Asked for a UV blocking cover for my computer screen. Wore a hat, long sleeves and covered up in sunscreen every day. I would also shut my office door and take about a 30 min rest during my lunch with the lights completely out. It didn't fix everything but it was better for a little while.

I think the most important thing that has to happen is that you have to get to a place where you don't doubt yourself either. I know it is hard to do. So many doctors and family members want to make us doubt that we are ill. They make us think we are lazy or crazy when we are not but when dealing with an employer you have to get over that. Being the boss doesn't mean they are perfect but they do look for cues from you. When you go talk to them you can be apologetic but stand your ground. You are ill. You may not have a name for it yet. You be having to try different things to find out what works and doesn't work for you but do not show any doubt that you are ill. Come here to vent. We understand the fear, the doubt, the confusion and we will support you every step of the way.

As for your mother, I am so terribly sorry. I went through that with my mom many years ago. I know how tough that is but please make sure you take care of yourself as well. You must be rested or you won't be any goo to anyone.

A special hug to you. I hope this made sense. Brain fog is not going away this week
    Last edited by tgal; 01-20-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

tortugal (01-20-2011)

Thanks

Thank you SO much, Mari. You're right, the self-doubt is awful! I will say "I hurt all over," or "I'm sore today," and my husband will ask why. I don't know why, and he knows that, but I feel like a broken record. I have a hard time remembering words, and I have always been the "grammar police." That's embarrassing. Also to have my mom worrying about me makes me feel so bad.

I have noticed that fluorescent light bothers me, big time. My face feels itchy and hot when I get to work, and it stays that way all day. I feel so much better when I get out of here, but I do need a nap pretty much every afternoon just to function- then go to bed extremely early (8:30 or 9.) My husband blames my odd work schedule (5 am - 1 pm) and tells me to change it, but I did it with no problems for a year before this. I used to be able to feel rested, no more! I feel like all I do is sleep, but am still always exhausted.

It's hard to trust myself I guess because I have never been sick. Also because I have been an orthopedic patient for so long before this, I get the feeling everyone is tired of hearing about my joint pain. No one is more tired of it than me! There is a cold front coming in, below-zero wind chills, and the last time this happened (right before Christmas) I couldn't get off the couch for 4 days. Hoping I can hang in at work til the weekend

all of you are so wonderful, I sort of can't believe it. So glad I found this place.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi, I still work. It's very hard to push yourself. You have to pick and choose your battles. I'm lucky in that my boss also has AI diseases. However, my problem is pain and fatigue at the moment. I have to push myself every afternoon to finish the day. I also go to bed around nine; sometimes I just go straight home to bed. I need my insurance as I was a single mom after my divorce. I need to work another 3 years and I don't know how I'm going to make it. But I am 62 years old. I've worked with these symptoms for over 20years.

That cold front that's coming. Take as many hot baths as you can. It helps keep the body temp up and muscles relaxed. Then wrap up or dress warmly, too hell with fashion. I look very funny with my knit hats. I used to put my feet in a box to keep them from getting cold. Now I have a space heater with thermostat under my desk. Keeping warm also helps with the joint pain. If you can turn off the fl... lights like Mari said is good. I'm having to let mine burn out and not replace.

Chin up you can do anything you have to do. Even if you find yourself taking 2 steps backward for every step forward. My favorite saying (besides scripture) is "It always works out in the end.

Hugs and prayers,
    Nonna

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to WHL.
    I'd like to say listen to your body and don't push yourself beyond your limits, as I did.
    I was a teacher in Texas, and LOVED my job. I had gradually worsening symptoms and started using a cane to get around the school.
    I fell in front of my classroom often, but the kids would help me up, I'd shrug it off and go back to the lesson.
    The last year that I taught, I had knee surgery, so I got around with a rollator the entire year. I often had to sit on it to lecture the class.

That spring, the AF offered my hubby a great opportunity in another state. I realized that my health was not going to allow me to keep on teaching,
    so I helped the school to find another Latin teacher and happily moved to Ca. That was the best decision for me. I still have trouble getting around,
    but it is much better for my health to be "retired".

Listen to your body and do what is right for you.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Im feeling rusty,still got the sore ribcage from my bout of pleurisy,feel a bit stuck in limbo without 'the' name.Frustrating,but i take it one day at a time.Sleep is my main problem and the fatigue,but i manage by coming here and trying to keep myself sane as can be lol if that possible lol.Hope today has been a good day for you.I miss work,or should i say a routine for my life to be able to blend in like everyone else.
    Lots of love
    Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

I ended up having a horrible day Friday when the cold blew in, worse than I expected even. I had a totally new pain, which was in my eye sockets and the bones in my face! Terrible! My mom suggested I go to the ER to have my blood work redone while I was feeling so bad, but I didn't feel good enough to do that. I hope I didn't miss my chance at a diagnosis, but it seemed like an insurmountable task. I ended up sleeping most of the day on Friday, and here it is Monday, I still haven't left the house yet. Working from home today, hoping to feel better finally by tomorrow. My husband went and bought me an electric blanket, which has been a huge help. Hope I am not cooking my insides with it... haha