Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercising with fatigue - any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Question Exercising with fatigue - any ideas/suggestions?

Evening all!

I've been exercising daily for the past three weeks. Today I have fatigue, although no other real symptoms suggesting an encroaching flare - joints/arthritis are no worse than normal, my skin is fine, not losing hair, no mouth or nose sores.

I'm a bit scared to do my workout (25 minutes of medium intensity interval walking on the treadmill) in case I trigger a flare. I don't know if that is a sensible or valid concern. I'm wondering if I should just get on and do it, or if I should do a low intensity something or other such as yoga?

I'd appreciate any insight, etc any one can offer - one part of me is thinking that the exercise and endorphins will help and that as long as I'm not attempting to climb Mt Everest or run a marathon I'll be fine. The other part of me is stupidly terrified of throwing a spanner in the works.

Huge hugs,
    Hannahxx
    Sow a thought and reap an act,
    Sow an act and reap a habit,
    Sow a habit and reap a character,
    Sow a character and reap a destiny.
    ***GROW Blue Book pg 32***

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi I've been flaring and am just starting back to exercise. I have a stationary bike. Sitting down on it is not as streneous (sp?). When I first started 8 minutes was the hardest thing in the world. But starting this time I was able to do 10 minutes. It just seems easier than my Denise Austin tape.

Well, it's just a suggestion; another would a aquatic aerobics.

Good Luck,
    nonna

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

Han (01-19-2011)

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion Nonna - I think I'm going to start and see how I feel as it goes. I'm definitely wanting to try aqua aerobics and there's also a pilates class at the local gym I'd love to have a look at. I'm glad you're getting better. xxx

I'm thinking the treadmill will be fine as long as I don't push myself - fingers crossed!
    Sow a thought and reap an act,
    Sow an act and reap a habit,
    Sow a habit and reap a character,
    Sow a character and reap a destiny.
    ***GROW Blue Book pg 32***

Blog Entries
    Thanks

do just 10 minutes, 2 or 3 days, then add another 5 minutes. increase slowly

Good Luck, just don't overdo or you'll be in bed

Thanks

I did twenty, slowly, and over-did it (slow learner, see). Have decided to try and remember to stick to my gentle stretching on bad days - did four cycles of Greetings to Khatu last night during TV ad breaks, and that was managable. Spent heaps of time in the pool today and it felt wonderful so I'm going to try and scrape some cash for an aqua class once a week.

Thanks for taking the time Nonna, I really appreciated having someone who understands helping me out.

Hugs,
    Hannah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hannah you don't have to go to a gym if you have a pool available. We could throw a list together for you. The doctor gave my father a list and he does them everyday in the pool at their complex. He's 93 so you know they have to be non strenous.
    The two that I remember are for the legs; he walks back and forth across the pool with the water up to his shoulders. First he does it 10 times forward; then he does it backwards

you coul try:
    jumping jacks
    holding on to the side of the pool and kicking.
    As for arm movements, try treading water for 2-3 minutes. Then increase it slowly

avoid overdoing by making a list of time limits and sticking to it
    Last edited by Nonna; 01-22-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Thought of something

Blog Entries
    Thanks

glad i found this thread as i struggle with this too!!

i got myself a dog and walk him each day be it for 10 mins or 45 min depending on how i feel i have certain cut off back to home so don't have to do the whole 45 mins
    and then for xmas i ask my man dan to get me a wii and wii fit board and i use that to if the weather bad outside or i just feel like doing bit extra or like at mo my dog bolt has keenel cough so can't be walked far!
    but i always look for good free ideas
    i have lost nearly 2 stone in last 10 months but have so much more to go!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Good for you Heidi! I have to lose 100 pounds . I need to find a chart that changes pounds to stones; like dollars to pounds LOL
    Nonna

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was a real big walker and my husband and i could do 3 miles a couple of times a week. But after being in the hospital for six days the beginning of the year i am pooped. They also found that i had and abnormal ekg and echocardiogram and have to see the cardio doc on Monday. One of the things it showed is a right bundle branch block and i just want to be able to get more exercise again. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Bonita please ask the cardiologist for a sheet of appropriate exercises. I used to work for cards and I know you have to be careful.

Hugs and good thoughts for you
    nonna