Thread: Cold's.

Thanks

Default Cold's.

Hi I am new here. I have had lupus about 8 years. I am currently in a flare and now I have gotten a cold. Just wondering if anybody thinks the cold are worse with lupus. I am currently takeing plaq so I dont want to take any cold meds. Just have to suffer through it. thanks.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I Wade! I saw you post in the men's forum last night but I never know if I should greet people in there. LOL

First off let me welcome you to WHL! We are so glad that you found us and decided to join. This is a wonderful place with fantastic people whom I believe you will come to love.

As for the question... As for me, when I am flaring (which I am right now) I seem to get everything and get it good! My whole body seems to turn against me and there is nothing I can do about it. I believe I read that you are not going to a doctor but you might want to go so you can find out what kind of meds you can take. Another option is (if you have insurance) to call the "call a nurse" line. they are great about checking to see what OTC meds you can't take with plaq. A pharmacist is great for that as well. You might be able to take something OTC and, if so, no need to suffer needlessly!

Once again, welcome to the WHL family! We are really glad to have you and I look forward to getting to know you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Thanks tgal. I have to make an appointment. Its just that I really do not like Drs. I have been haveing symptoms since 1998 and went to my primary many times trying to figure out what was going on. So it took like 3 years to come up with a dia. Then the second set of blood work the Dr tells me I had a neg ana and might not have lupus. Then another pos. So its been pretty confusing for me. But I do know that the symptoms are always there and change very little. Thanks.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Oh Wade you have come to the right place! So many of us know exactly what you are talking about. I am currently there right now. I am on 12 meds and have so many of the symptoms but since my bloodwork fluctuates no one can make up their mind what is wrong. The one thing you need to remember is that you know your body better then they do. Keep copies of all your bloodwork and records. Lupus and the other Auto Immune Diseases (AI) are not diagnosed by a one time set of criteria. AI diagnosies are made from looking at the whole history and too many doctors do not understand this. The symptoms add up to the diagnosis over time they don't all have to be there at once. You have a positive ANA and rashes so you start plaq and both go away. You don't ignore the fact that you had both of those you just add them to a list of symptoms. The next time you flare and your joints begin to swell and you have ulcers all over your mouth you take meds and those symptoms go away but they are added to the list with the rash and ANA. And so it goes. Eventually the doctors have enough information to make a diagnosis even though you may not have all the symptoms right now.

If doctors would understand this there would not be the confusion over "is it Lupus or is it not" that we have now. Too many want it all in a neat little box and with AI diseases there is not box. The good news is that you are here and there are some really wonderful and smart people who will be glad to help you as you go along.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~