Thread: kidney pain.

Thanks

Default kidney pain.

so around this time last year, i was diagnosed with SLE. being 19 and in college, this was extremely difficult for me to handle, but a year later, things are constantly a learning process. so, for the past month on & off, i've had a sharp pain in the right side of my back. my mom (who also has lupus) says that its probably my kidneys. the pain is not longing, but short, sharp bursts of pain, only on my right side. sometimes the pain is sharp enough that i have to catch my breath...i was wondering what i could do to possibly reduce the pain until i can get back home to my doctor. (mind you, i am 2 1/2 hrs away from home on a college campus!) sometimes readjusting my position can help, but i was wondering if any body knows what this could be?

i read of another patient having these same problems and she reported blood in her urine, but that is not my case. any help?
    UNSPEAKABLE JOY.
    "we must be the change we wish to see in the world."-mahatma ghandi
    1 TIMOTHY 4:12-"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

Thanks

Isn't there a health clinic on your campus? You should at least ask there or talk to a nurse about this. Kidney damage is not something to fool around with!
    That said, you could also try taking cranberry supplements and drinking LOTS of cranberry juice, as well as plenty of water, to flush out the kidneys.
    No foolin' though - see a doc ASAP.
    Weren't you here last year, when you were diagnosed? Good to see you back!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with Marla, speak to your health clinic ASAP and/or contact your doctor to see if you can get an appointment much sooner! Kidney issues should not be postponed and should be treated immediately.

In the meantime (and in addition to Marla's suggestion about cranberry juice), you must increase the amount of water you drink. Drink at least a half gallon of plain water each day if at all possible. You can add real lemon juice to the water though, and this will give you flavor as well as provide your body with a way to help keep kidney stones from forming, because lemon juice dissolves kidney stones. Lemon juice is also a natural antiseptic, which means it can help prevent bacteria from multiplying into an infection within your kidneys.

You can also drink teas and juices if you'd like, because these are sources of liquid and liquid is the primary thing your body needs to keep your kidneys healthy. Try to avoid drinks with excess sugars though, because this can create a whole host of additional health problems which will eventually lead to creating kidney problems too.

Please let us know if you are able to see or speak to a doctor about this and what is decided.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi there,

I have to agree with everyone else. When you are talking about what could be organ involvement you can't put it off. Go to the clinic and at least speak to someone. Marla and Susie gave you some great info. Just remember that we are here for you if you need us
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with everyone else, and think maybe it could also be galbladder problems. Mine was blocked with a stone and I thought it was a kidney infection. See a nurse or doctor ASAP!

HUGS
    Nonna

Thanks

thanks everyone!

well, i went to the infirmary of campus today, which turned into them taking me to a local doctor's office. turns out i have a UTI. the dr. also mentioned something about a possible kidney stone. she prescribed me some antibiotics, so hopefully that'll work. as for the pain, she advised me to continue taking otc pain meds.
    UNSPEAKABLE JOY.
    "we must be the change we wish to see in the world."-mahatma ghandi
    1 TIMOTHY 4:12-"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I am so glad that you went to the clinic! I know that it is a pain but you don't want to let something like that go! Please follow all the doctors orders and let us know how things go. You will be in my thoughts
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was thinking exactly what Mari said. I'm glad you went and listened to your body. I hope you feel better soon.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Good for you!
    Take all of the antibiotics, along with LOTS of water and cranberry juice or capsules.
    My daughter just went through the kidney stone thing - no fun! Be sure to get it treated.
    Hugs,
    Marla