Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: itchy rash, not sure what kind it is and looking for relief

Thanks

Question itchy rash, not sure what kind it is and looking for relief

Sorry haven't been here in a long time, life flies by way too fast....

OK, rheumy says I have PA and eventually will get psoraisis too. Started getting sores on scalp and behind ears about 2yrs ago. Now I have more rashes on arms, legs and tummy, but they look like none of the pics about psoriasis. They are clusters of little red bumps, very itchy. They do not have any crust or scabs like the psoriasis rashes look and say. Anyone familiar on what kind of rash this is? If so, found any relief? I have tried oatmeal baths, oatmeal lotions, cooling lotions, hydrocortizone................many little things with no relief. Does anyone know if this is a psoraisis rash? Or another kind? What do others do for relief? Please help, itchy, irritable and in constant misery from the dicomfort............CV
    Cheryl

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I wrote a whole big post about this and apparently it was when the site was acting up earlier and it just disappeared! Let me try to recap

Are you wearing sunscreen when you go outside or into stores/offices with florescent lights? I get very itchy and then the rash with as little as 15 min. in walmart! Before I had to stop working I learned to put on at least a 50 UV protection (even under clothes), use a sunscreen on my face, wear long sleeves and wear a hat or I would get just like you sound. I still have to do all of that to go into the sun or into a store for any length of time. The longer this goes on the more sun sensitive I become. I have also had to stop wearing perfumes (because of rashes and because my nose has become really sensitive to smells) and using certain lotions, can't wear most make-up etc.

You might want to try eliminating all the "extras" (make-up, lotions etc) and covering up when in the sun/florescent lights and see how it goes. If things get better you can start adding the "extras" in one at a time to see how it goes.

Hope this helps!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Thanks tgal for your reply.

I don't wear sunscreen. Was told sun light/ulta-violet light was helpful to psoraisis rashes. Can't say if it has helped, since weather been so gloomy or too tired to go out. I should wear some sunscreen anyways living in Florida. I don't wear perfume, allergic, so thats easy to eliminate. Also since allergic to perfumes, all lotions are perfume free. Don't wear make-up much, but will be careful. Will try the sunscreen and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice tgal..................CV
    Cheryl

Thanks

What a coincidence! I am also experiencing a rash on my scalp and behind the ears (as well as ear folds). I am also getting those small, red, itchy bumps all over my body, particularly the mid-torso area. I'm experiencing these symptoms all RIGHT NOW!

Anyways, I also looked up psoriasis symptoms and what not, but have you tried looking up symptoms for seborrheic dermatitis? It's very similar to psoriasis and so can be easily mistaken for it. It also gets worst during winter time due to the dry, winter air.

Best thing to do is keep consulting your doctor for a diagnosis and any medication that would help. Right now, I'm currently waiting for my insurance to pull through for an A-okay to see a dermatologist but they are taking an extremely long time... Please keep us updated and I well, as well! Hope everything works out.
    "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." - CARE

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hey Cheryl, long time, no see. It's good to see you back! How's the world treating you?

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Cheryl! I have PsA too. I get a rash like you are describing. I think it's called dermititis. Kinda red little bumpies that pop up and then go away a few days later. I find that they tend to itch a lot when they first come out and then go away. Usually a little cream helps me with them
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Hey dianannsano , thanks for the response. Sorry you have the same issues. Hope you find relief too and get to see the dermatologist. Rheumy thought seborrheic dermatitis, but when was more flared and not going away he said may be psoraisis.

Hey Rob, glad to hear from you as well. Life has been hectic, stressful, emotional, just flying out of control it seems. I did finally get my drivers license a year ago, so at least now not trapped in my own home and can leave sometimes. How is everything on your end?

Hey SandyR, thanks for the reply. Sorry you have PA too. The rash just doesn't go away, keeps breaking out in more spots. Been lasting for over 2wks now. Hopefully will ease soon. Thanks for telling me about dermititis, will look that up.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi Cheryl,
    It's good to see you back again!
    I was also diagnosed with psoriasis and PA. I've had those itchy little scalp sores since I was a teen.
    I recently had a crop of those red, itchy bumps on my face. My GP called it guttate psoriasis.
    My rheumy, who doesn't seem to like to be told things by other docs, disagreed. I think that the GP was right.

I had that rash after I skipped my Methotrexate injections while traveling in Greece. I recently skipped it twice while traveling again, and got some new sores in my scalp.
    I think that the MTX does a lot to control my rashes.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hey magistramarla. You know what, that reminds me I had to stop taking my Arava a month ago because of raised liver enzymes. The patches started about 3wks ago, about the time the Arava probably started wearing off. Thanks for mentioning about your missed meds, this makes since why they are popping up and not going away. I call doc tomorrow to see if safe to start some meds again. Thanks for the reply..........CV
    Cheryl

Thanks

Glad I could help!
    Now, don't be a stranger - keep coming back!