Thread: Please I need all diagnosed lupies input!!!! Please.

Thanks

Default Please I need all diagnosed lupies input!!!! Please.

How many of you that are diagnosed with Lupus have had only positive strong titer anas??Has anyone had 2 negative and one positive ana tests when first diagnosed?? 2 of my negative tests were done at same lab and the other positive was done at another lab. It came back positive with speckled titer of 1:80. I have all the symptoms of lupus even the malar rash, but the ana is not clear. I need other diagnosed lupies to please respond. I will be seeing my Rheumi this Wednesday to get any diagnosis and just need your input before then. Please please please. Any input.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hey Ronnie. Welcome to the wonderful world of Lupus! This is exactly why some of us go for years without being able to get a firm diagnosis. I am not one of the people you are looking for because I, like you, have all the symptoms but my blood work fluctuates so much that I can't find a doctor that understands Lupus well enough to give me a diagnosis. I do know there are several people on this forum that have great Rheumy's and they have been diagnosed by symptoms alone (as it can be when the symptoms are so severe). They will be along soon but hang tough. We are here for you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I was recently diagnosed so I dont understant too much about it. My highest ana has only been 1:80 but my anti SM was high. Make sure to get an ENA panel done but try to get it sent to somewhere credible like the mayo clinic. I had my ena checked in May and it was neg and then I saw a rheumy who sent my blood work to the mayo clinic. I didnt know why then but then I read that many labs can not do sufficent antibody testing. Hope you get some answers soon! Mary

Thanks

Default No Anti-sm

Thanks Tadpole. I checked all three orders and they never ordered an anti sm. I guess i need to ask for that if she doesn't mention it. Thanks bunches.

Thanks

Tadpole, I forgot to ask...what is in an ena panel??

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

You need to go see a Rhuemy and have a full Lupus panel run. Sounds like you may have just been given the basic ANA test and that is not enough info to give a diagnosis anyway. ANA is not a test for Lupus. There is no test for Lupus. A Lupus diagnosis comes when everything else is ruled out and your symptoms/blood work leave nothing else but Lupus.

As mystyjm was telling you, a full Lupus panel really needs to be done. There are many tests on there. Anti-Smith, DS-DNA and many more which are looked at as a whole in order to make a diagnosis. You must make sure that a reputable lab does the blood work but keep in mind that the blood work can change as you go along. That is why Lupus is diagnosed not by the tests that are positive all at one time but by the tests that have been positive and see how they add up.

There is a sticky in the Newly Diagnosed section which I will post below that gives the criteria for diagnosing Lupus. Hopefully this will help answer some of your questions as will the advice of those that will follow.

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthr...upus-Diagnosis
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Ronnie (01-11-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am positive for all the antibodies, ANA, RM, Anti-SSA, RF, and all the rest of em...But I know it can fluctuate as tgal said for some people or come back negative even though that person does indeed have Lupus.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire