Thread: Able to get tattoos?

Thanks

Question Able to get tattoos?

Hi all!
    I'm new to this forum (stumbled upon it when trying to find answers to my question). A little bit about myself before I start talking about my topic. I was diagnosed with SLE in 1998. From 1998-2008 it was pretty much controlled, but ever since I became unemployed at the end of 2008, things have only gotten worst, but that's for a whole different thread.

Ok, to my question:

Would it be alright if I got a small tattoo (a small one behind my right ear) even though I have Lupus? I know people with Lupus, we heal a lot slower than normal people, but does that mean I have to limit myself with things I would like to do in life aka get a tattoo, which was what I have wanted for a couple years now.

Would there be any risks involved?

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This grandmother would tell you no, don't do that. But I suppose it would depend on how the Lupus is attacking your body. I'm sure that one of the moderators or someone else may have a better answer for you. But for me, even though I like some tattooes and my cousin is a tattoo artist; I would not take the chance. I would not want to add the risk.

And I'd also say welcome to WHL. We are all here for each other
    Nonna

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Diana,

There are a lot of variable to your question. Are you currently sick? Do you have any rashes or sores? Are you on steroids or any kind of blood thinners? I am attaching a link to a webmd page that mention lupus and tatoos but the best advice is to talk to your doctor. He is the one that can tell you if your body can take it or not.

http://www.sclero.org/medical/sympto...igibility.html
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Diana,

I know of people with Lupus who have gotten tattooed but like Tgal said, you should ask your doctor since he knows your condition best. One thing I found out this past year that may be a factor for you - patients who have discoid lupus and get tattooed will often show signs of lupus in the tattoo sometimes even years after the tattoo was placed.

Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Thank you all for your answers!! I will definitely ask my doctor regarding the risks and if it is at all possible.

Right now, I am experiencing seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp (dang you dry winter weather), which isn't looking too good for me, since I would like the tattoo behind my right ear. I guess I sort of knew in the beginning it might not be possible since my lupus mainly attacks my skin compared to the joints and organs. Doesn't hurt to ask and hear different opinions though.

Also, thank you tgal for the helpful link!
    "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." - CARE