Thread: Question for the Guys

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Question for the Guys

My friend's hubby has been having some problems. He is normally a very healthy guy, but has been getting these colds that are just knocking him on his butt. He also has been getting these sores whenever he gets a cold. She described them as looking like he was burned w/a cigar. They are in his nose, mouth, eyes, and even on his penis. He is losing skin from them also.

He has had tons of bloodwork done, ruled out all the obvious, HIV, herpes, etc... I told her to give me a call and let me know what all they ran. The doctors said that they definitely feel that it is autoimmune, but they don't know what yet. The next time he has a "flare" (doctor's words) they are going to admit him to the hospital and do more testing and biopsy the sores.

Just wondering if any of y'all have any experience w/these types of sores. She said that he is so much pain from them - I can only imagine. Thanks in advance!
    Lauren

Thanks

Red,
    I'm not a guy, but this sounds like a good description of the sores that I used to get all the time. Taking MTX has controlled them a lot.
    I just skipped two weeks of MTX because we were traveling, and I have a crop of them on my arms. I also have some psoriasis sores in my scalp which the MTX usually controls.
    Hope this helps!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla,

Thank you. I feel so bad for him - going through the not knowing and being in agony! I hope he can get some answers soon.
    Lauren

Thanks

Ya know, I last posted back in December about what they've found out in me, and it's CVID. I've been sick more often than not since. Did this guy used to get sick all the time as a child? Sore throats, ear infections, almost to the point of being "sickly"? Almost normal adolescence? Now into his 30's or more? In most folks, it shows in the 30's but it's usually much later before it's diagnosed. CVID has to do with the blood proteins & enzymes, and the body's lack of immune response. What happens when a cold comes along, in most folks, is that their body reacts, indentifying the "invader", marking them, and making anti-bodies to "kill" them. The normal person also builds up an immunity to the invader, and fights it off easier the next time. In CVID, the body doesn't have enough immunoglobulins to mark the invaders, and usually doesn't properly indentify the invader, sometimes mistaking the persons own body as an invader (arthritic symptoms). The CVID person also loses any immunity they do happen to develop in a matter of days, or weeks. So a CVID person may get a flu shot, get sick from it, and then get sick from the same flu caught from a different person, less than 2 weeks later... I get little sores all over my scalp and face (one of the many reasons they thought I had lupus), arms, etc., just about any time I get sick anymore, and I'm getting sick more & more frequently. If I so much as sniffle, they want me to call the doctor, and they call in anti-biotics. The only other thing to do is blood plasma infusions that would boost my IgG and other levels, so that I can fight off infection the "normal" way. It's easy enough to "diagnose" the illness with a blood protein count. If the overall count is found to be low, then the individual IgA, IgE, IgG, IgM (I'm missing one or two...) levels are counted. It looks like this is a hereditary thing, so if he has siblings, they should be checked for it. Children should also be checked, though it's much more difficult to be certain of it in a child, due to the very nature of body & fluids development. It can seem similar to HIV, but is not an acquired thing, and won't show up in those type of blood tests. HIV is a virus. CVID is not. It's a shortage of blood proteins, and others that don't react correctly. See if this article describes your friend...
    Last edited by jmail; 02-08-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: wow, who typed that?...