Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i hate migraines

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default i hate migraines

hi everyone,

I have been fighting a migraine for over a week now, so i went to my dr. this morning and she gave me a steroid shot....can't take the pain killer shot because i am allergic to non-steroidal anti inflammatory (NSAIDS). I am loading up on Imitrex.....hope the combination gives me some relief really soon.

oh, a comical note"""""" when i went to my dr., her little receptionist/patient care person said to me "you know that if you can't get these migraines under control, that you will have to go to a neurologist"....seriously.....i almost laughed.

he is a relly nice and helpful guy, i think he was just trying to be fatherly.....I don't need a father right now, i need for this headache to go away.....ha ha ha.

happy new year everyone......
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Migraines make me so lupie. They don't need to talk down to you. They just need to help you feel better. I hate when the drs just give you the run around. Hope you feel better soon.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

I'm right there with you, mountaindreamer. It's nearly impossible to function when you're under the influence of a migraine and seeking relief.
    And the little pat on the head and threat of a neuro, I say "Bring it on" if they can take away the pain in my head. If they can't, don't waste my time and theirs by making the referral.

Dim the lights, shut the blinds and turn off the phone. Oh, and hire a handsome man to wait on you and maybe do a mani-pedi while you're recovering. It'll do wonders for your psyche.

Seriously, I hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by BonusMom; 01-07-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm so sorry that you're suffering; call me if you need some help.

Dark room, soft music

hugs
    nonna

Thanks

Phyllis,
    It's so good to see you back here. I hope that you can get rid of that migraine soon and re-join our conversations.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Phyllis

I have always suffered from migraines since I was young before ever being diagnosed with SLE. I did see a Neurlologist for it and was prescibed Imitrex but it didnt work for me. Imitrex works best when you take it as soon as you feel the pain starting and not waiting for it to get really bad. Your migraine might also be triggered by something you are eating. You can also try Excedrin for migraine, Aleve or Ibuprofen. In the meantime turn off the lights , relax and try to get someplace. Goodluck.

Slim

Thanks

dear phyllis sorry you are suffering migraines hope you feel better soon hugs kim l

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Phyllis, it's good to see you back!

Rob

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Phyllis;
    It is good to hear from you. But, I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with a migraine. I know how you feel sweetheart...I have chronic migraines to the point where I am so happy to have a bad headache as that is a marked improvement. I can go weeks with no real relief (either I am in the midst of a migraine or in the midst of a terrible headache!).
    I hope that you find some relief soon, I know how debilitating a migraine can be. I am sending you hugs of understanding

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I don't know why I didn't mention this in the first post so we will just assume it was brain fog!

I began having migraines at 4 or 5 years old. Mine were so bad that they would restrict the blood flow and "trick" my eye into thinking it couldn't see. Imagine being 7 years old and all of a sudden going "blind" in your eye. It was a very scary time. They finally figured out what it was so I learned to stay calm and understand that it would go away as the headache did in a week our so. Years (decades) went by with me having horrible migraines that would put me in dark, silent rooms (when I wasn't throwing up in the bathroom that is). Back then there were not meds for migraines so they just drugged you up enough that you didn't care because they couldn't make the pain go away.

I tell you the history to tell the following story: In my late teens I went to a doctor who had been reading about some new research on migraines. They were starting to believe that, although there were multiple factors in play causing the migraine, there was one "trigger food" that was like the match that lights the candle to start the whole thing off. My grandmother (who also has RA) and I both had migraines so he had her and I keep a list of our cravings the day of or before the migraine started. I thought it was odd that he wanted to know what we craved but in this study they found that the food that kicked the cycle off was something that people could eat the rest of the time without it bothering them but when everything was set up for the headache they would crave it. So we began to keep the diary and I found that the day my migraines started, maybe even when I could feel that beginning pulsing in the side of my head and the light would start bothering me but I didn't hurt yet, I would crave chocolate. Now, I don't mean I would crave chocolate. I mean I would CRAVE chocolate. I would tear the house apart to find some. My grandmother found the same thing for her but instead of chocolate she craved tomato based pasta sauces (turns out those are the two most highly craved foods in that study).

To make a long story short once we knew what my trigger was I learned to tell my family when I knew it was coming and they would hide all chocolate from me. My best friends still tells the story of me on the floor pulling out pots and pans because I was like an addict looking for that chocolate LOL. Can I tell you that my migraines all went away when we figured this out? No, not at all. I can tell you that they dropped by more than 50% and the length of the migraine diminished.

I thought they were gone for good after my hysterectomy however they came back with a vengeance when I began getting sick a couple of years ago. I still find that I crave chocolate and I still practice the habits I learned about not eating chocolate when I knew everything was set for a migraine. While I still have a lot I think they would be worse if I didn't do this.

May not help for anyone else but just thought I would share the story
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-12-2011)