Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shingles Vaccine ?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Shingles Vaccine ?

My sister took my Mom to the doctor yesterday and found out she has shingles. He could not believe all the other doctors didn't know what she had. So that's why she's in pain and has skin sores. I can't believe she got this. I took her to get the vaccine a couple years ago. So not sure if I will get the vaccine for myself.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rebecca,

Sorry to hear about mom. My aunt just got diagnosed with that last week too and having had it - it sucks but catching it early really helps clear it up fast. To answer your question - you really need to ask your doctor if you are eligible for the vaccine. If you are on high dose steriods you probably aren't. The CDC recommendations for the vaccine are listed here.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...s/vac-faqs.htm
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Sandy for the link. Shingles is so awful.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

it is, but if she was caught early it can be very managable. I am always afraid now whenever I have a rash or pain in my lower back that it is the shingles returning.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sandy, They caught it to late. I was taking her to drs. for weeks. None of them knew what it was. They thought it was all kinds of other things. One thing they thought was a pinched nerve. They where giving her all kinds of meds but nothing helped. Her doctor thinks they should have known it was shingles. But he says all she can do now is let it run it's course. Sandy hope you don't get it anymore. You have enough to deal with.

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That's terrible Becky. I will be saying prayers for her that she reacts well to the meds and that she heals quickly.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks so much Sandy. Been with her at the hospital all day today. She had a Colonoscopy today. She had been passing blood. They almost didn't do her test because of the shingles. She had Colon Cancer twice. Hope it turns out OK. At her age don't think she can handle surgery again.

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

OUCH - my thoughts are with you and your Mum.
    Shingles - such a bad lot of pain!
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrightrs View Post
    Thanks so much Sandy. Been with her at the hospital all day today. She had a Colonoscopy today. She had been passing blood. They almost didn't do her test because of the shingles. She had Colon Cancer twice. Hope it turns out OK. At her age don't think she can handle surgery again.
    did they say anything yet about the colonoscopy?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Her colonoscopy is OK so far. Still waiting for doctor to call back with the lab results. But he thinks it will be fine. I just get so worried every time she has a colonoscopy since she had colon cancer twice.

Take Care,
    Becky