Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Sorry guys, another MTX question, probably number 10000.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 412 Times in 338 Posts

    Default Sorry guys, another MTX question, probably number 10000.

    Just got back from my rheumy.
    He finally got of his " vitamins cure everything" bandwagon.
    Now he is starting me on prednison, mtx, folic acid and flexerol.
    I've got to tell you friends, I AM SCARED.
    I have read about the hairloss, nausea and all the other nice side effects from mtx and prednison.
    I also don't have a set schedule at work, sometimes I am off on tuesday and sunday or wednesday and friday. I hardly ever have two days in the row. Plus I never know what day I am going to be off work.
    Do I have to take the mtx on the same day every week?
    Can I take it at night?
    I am sitting here shaking, just thinking about taking it for the first time. Which I will do this weekend, I am actually off saturday and sunday.
    Please family, could someone give me some tips?

    Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

  2. #2
    tgal's Avatar
    tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,521
    Thanks
    1,547
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

    Default

    I can't answer the MTX question because I can't get anyone to work on that with me. I am on the prednisone (and 10 other meds) and I know it is a scary time. Try to remember that not all people get all the side effects of each med. You may be one of the people that get very few. Try not to "borrow trouble" as my mom would say until you know how it is going to react on you. Be prepared but not overly worried if that is possible.

    Others will be on here soon about the MTX. Just remember that we are here for you. I wish there was more that I could do *huge*
    Mari

    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

    ~Winston Churchill~







  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I was on methotrexate for about a year. It had to be taken the same day everyweek but after checking with my dr..it was ok if it was a there were a few hours difference each week. One week I forgot and didn't take it until the next day..and nothing happened- i would check with your dr though. the dr also put me on leukovorin..it helped to prevent the yucky side effects-hair lose and mouth sores. i know it's so overwhemling being stuck on a new med like that! i remember being sooo freaked out..but i promised you will be ok! like any other med-you have to figure out the dosage that would be right for you. i had to take it as an injection because the oral kind made me too nausous. if you have any other questions about it..let me know and i'll help with what i can. just remember that the medicine is there because the dr thought it would be better for you than whatever is going on with your body..so hopefully it will help! i just remember i was reallllly sleepy the day after so if posisble to arrange your work schedule around it..i would recommend it. everybody is different though so maybe you won't have fatigue as one of the symptoms. good luck and i hope it helps!!
    "Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time."-Deborah Chaskin

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to predcheeks For This Useful Post:

    debbie-b (12-31-2010)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 412 Times in 338 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I can't answer the MTX question because I can't get anyone to work on that with me. I am on the prednisone (and 10 other meds) and I know it is a scary time. Try to remember that not all people get all the side effects of each med. You may be one of the people that get very few. Try not to "borrow trouble" as my mom would say until you know how it is going to react on you. Be prepared but not overly worried if that is possible.

    Others will be on here soon about the MTX. Just remember that we are here for you. I wish there was more that I could do *huge*
    Thank you Mari,

    I am not stressing over it, but it does scare me a little. I have heard many horror stories about it, both MTX and prednisone.
    I just picked it up from the pharmacy and of course I have been reading about all the possible side effects.
    Just reading it, makes me want to vomit.

    Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 412 Times in 338 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by predcheeks View Post
    I was on methotrexate for about a year. It had to be taken the same day everyweek but after checking with my dr..it was ok if it was a there were a few hours difference each week. One week I forgot and didn't take it until the next day..and nothing happened- i would check with your dr though. the dr also put me on leukovorin..it helped to prevent the yucky side effects-hair lose and mouth sores. i know it's so overwhemling being stuck on a new med like that! i remember being sooo freaked out..but i promised you will be ok! like any other med-you have to figure out the dosage that would be right for you. i had to take it as an injection because the oral kind made me too nausous. if you have any other questions about it..let me know and i'll help with what i can. just remember that the medicine is there because the dr thought it would be better for you than whatever is going on with your body..so hopefully it will help! i just remember i was reallllly sleepy the day after so if posisble to arrange your work schedule around it..i would recommend it. everybody is different though so maybe you won't have fatigue as one of the symptoms. good luck and i hope it helps!!
    Exactly what you are talking about, that is what I am afraid of.
    My company will not budge, if you are full time, you have to be awailable 6am-10pm, 7 days a week.
    If I request to have, say every Monday off, I will not be considered full time anymore and I will loose my health insurance.
    These people are real jerks, I have worked there for five years and just called in sick one time, that was 2 weeks ago.
    Before that, I had never called in, even though we get 3 paid sickdays.
    I have to try and take the MTX a day before my next day off and see how it goes. If I get alot of nausea, I have to have to figure something out, about my days off.
    I get mild nausea from Mobic ( anti inflametory), so I can imagine how nauseaus I will get from MTX.
    Well anyway, thank you.
    Oh another question, can I take the MTX at night before I go to bed, or when is the best time to take it?

    Debbie

    Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    first of all you are very strong for having kept that schedule! i don't know how you do it! maybe you should explain to your doctor that you are concerned about the possible side effects and your work schedule..and see what he/she recommends. i know that everybody's bosy is different and when i did research on the med when i was on it..a lot of people didn't have the same side effects as me. Your plan sounds good to take it before your next day off and see how your body reacts to it. I know that a lot of people say after being on it for a couple weeks..their symptoms start to get better. I would keep in the back of your mind that injections are another way to go with that med if you do feel nausous from the pill form. Definatley drink lots of water and gatorade the day you take it..it helped me with energy! Good luck and let me know how it goes! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    "Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time."-Deborah Chaskin

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 412 Times in 338 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by predcheeks View Post
    first of all you are very strong for having kept that schedule! i don't know how you do it! maybe you should explain to your doctor that you are concerned about the possible side effects and your work schedule..and see what he/she recommends. i know that everybody's bosy is different and when i did research on the med when i was on it..a lot of people didn't have the same side effects as me. Your plan sounds good to take it before your next day off and see how your body reacts to it. I know that a lot of people say after being on it for a couple weeks..their symptoms start to get better. I would keep in the back of your mind that injections are another way to go with that med if you do feel nausous from the pill form. Definatley drink lots of water and gatorade the day you take it..it helped me with energy! Good luck and let me know how it goes! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Thank you so much.
    Ok, I am freaking out now. I am going to take my first dose on monday. I am working 11am-7pm that day. We useally eat dinner after I get home. That is probably not a good idea, huh?
    Should I take the MTX right before I go to bed? Can I eat anything during the day? What should I not eat?
    I take my Ambien on an empty stomach, right before bed and it works within 10-20 minutes, should I take the MTX right after it? OMG, I am panicking.
    I am going to be off work on tuesday and wednesday, but on thursday I have to work a 8 hour shift, with heavy lifting and fast pace running around.
    I can't do this job much longer, but I am unable to " learn" another job, because of the brain fog I have 90% of the time.
    I am so sick of this.
    Please give me some tips, on how I can handle this MTX bs.

    Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    hey..don't freak out!!!!..you will be finnnne!! i would say eat dinner then take it..something on your stomach is probably a good thing. i took it before bed..so i would say that's also a good thing..but everyone's body is different so if you take it then and it doesn't work for you then you know for next time i never noticed anything specific not to eat..i didn't really change my diet at all. uhg it sounds like your job would take a lot out of you! i am in the process of finding a new job because i had figure out a med combo that was right for me. i had to quit my old job...one of the hardest things i've ever had to do! i realize now that it was a great choice because i got my life back by getting my lupus under control first. thank goodness you can get paid while out on disability. i agree with you that learning a new job sounds so hard right now but i think i'm finally up for it!i wish you the best of luck!!!!
    "Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time."-Deborah Chaskin

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seaside, Ca.
    Posts
    3,871
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 948 Times in 732 Posts

    Default

    Debbie,
    There is a thread here called "It's M Day". Several of us discussed taking MTX. It might help you to read it.
    I've been taking it for 18 months. The pill form made me terribly nauseous, but I tolerate the injection fairly well.
    My hubby gives me the shot every Sunday night about an hour or so before bedtime. I then relax with a cup of tea and some dark chocolate.
    For some reason, the chocolate helps with the bad taste in my mouth that the MTX causes.
    I sleep through the worst of the nausea.
    The next day, I'm still a bit queasy and "out of it" until after lunch. By 2 pm, I feel fairly normal.
    I hope that this helps.
    Hugs,
    Marla

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 412 Times in 338 Posts

    Default

    Thank you predcheeks,
    Your tip really helps, because my rheumy said to take it, whenever I want to.
    But it is better to hear from somebody who actually takes it themself, to know what was best for them.

    Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •