Thread: Anyone use DHEA or LDN to help treat their lupus?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Anyone use DHEA or LDN to help treat their lupus?

I was recently diagnosed and was put on plaquenil. I was also looking for other treatment options to add and DHEA and LDN seem like safe options(from what I have read so far). Does anyone here take either of those and did they help? Thanks, Mary.

Thanks

What is DHEA and LDN
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I have not heard of either of them working at all. Plaq., at the doses we use, is pretty safe. Eye problems don't usually happen except at much higher doses (like those used for malaria). I know there are a ton of "natural" type remedies out there but I have never heard of one being proven to work.

Edit:

Linda: LDN is Low Dose Naltrexone and DHEA is a supplement that contains natural steroids.
    Last edited by tgal; 12-27-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Here is just one of literally hundreds of articles about DHEA that all report the same conclusion-the possible risks of taking DHEA completely outweigh the non-existent benefits-

http://skepdic.com/dhea.html

In regards to Low Dose Naltrexone, there is, as of now, zero proof that it has any beneficial effects whatsoever in treating autoimmune disorders.

Rob

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

n.mac (01-18-2012), tgal (12-27-2010)

Thanks

I really dont know much about DHEA, I need to do more reading but in Dr. Wallace's Lupus book he put that DHEA has a role in the treatment of mild to moderate lupus; it may be particulary useful in patients with cognitive dysfunction and fatigue and it may also decrease the rate of bone loss. I thought hey, I have both of those! I figure its something to at least research.

I thought for a long time that I had MS and is a member of Patients like me and there are many people on there who only use LDN to treat their MS, and with great success. Now with that being said, Lupus is NOT MS, but I have done a lot of reading on LDN and I might try it and see if it helps. I want to see first how the plaquenil helps, so if I do try ldn it probably wont be for a year. The rheumy I have now is not very good, I hope to find a new one that I can discuss these questions with. Thanks for your help! Mary

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mystiejm View Post
    I really dont know much about DHEA, I need to do more reading but in Dr. Wallace's Lupus book he put that DHEA has a role in the treatment of mild to moderate lupus; it may be particulary useful in patients with cognitive dysfunction and fatigue and it may also decrease the rate of bone loss. I thought hey, I have both of those! I figure its something to at least research.

I thought for a long time that I had MS and is a member of Patients like me and there are many people on there who only use LDN to treat their MS, and with great success. Now with that being said, Lupus is NOT MS, but I have done a lot of reading on LDN and I might try it and see if it helps. I want to see first how the plaquenil helps, so if I do try ldn it probably wont be for a year. The rheumy I have now is not very good, I hope to find a new one that I can discuss these questions with. Thanks for your help! Mary
    I do like Dr. Wallace's Lupus book, but I personally would not touch DHEA.

In regards to LDN and MS, I have MS on top of SLE, and a couple of people in my MS group have tried LDN with mixed results so far. There is a possibility, in my opinion, that LDN could have some beneficial effect for people with MS, but there's no proof as of yet. Perhaps in the future, if LDN is found to help those with MS, it could also be proven to help with Lupus, as they are both autoimmune disorders. I would like to see more research in regards to LDN, as there could be some good potential in treating Lupus. Time will tell.

You are doing the right thing by researching and asking for different opinions.

ROb