Thread: Question for those who have/are taking Neurontin/Gabapentin

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question Question for those who have/are taking Neurontin/Gabapentin

Rheumy just put me on this for nerve pain. I am taking 300mg at night. She said it is one of those meds that either works/doesn't. From what I've been reading though, people have had their dosages increased. Question is: if you are/have taken it, what did you start out at? Did it work immediately & to what degree? When did you increase the dosage? I don't know if it worked last night (first time), I fell asleep. LOL

Thank you!
    Lauren

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey Red, I really like Neurontin. It has helped with my neurological symptoms, but it has to build up in your system. I take 600mg before bed. After about a week I could tell a difference. Keep at it. I started at 300 then went to 600.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Islablue For This Useful Post:

red246 (12-19-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey blue! Does it make you feel really out there? I got so loopy - haha - last night! It did help w/the burning and tingling some, but I felt more loopy than anything. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep on truckin'! LOL Does it help throughout the day after it builds up? That's what I'm really waiting for. If it's not going to do that, then what's the point in the taking it.
    Lauren

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by red246 View Post
    Rheumy just put me on this for nerve pain. I am taking 300mg at night. She said it is one of those meds that either works/doesn't. From what I've been reading though, people have had their dosages increased. Question is: if you are/have taken it, what did you start out at? Did it work immediately & to what degree? When did you increase the dosage? I don't know if it worked last night (first time), I fell asleep. LOL

Thank you!
    I was put on Neurontin right after it was discovered that I was having a flareup of Trigeminal Neuralgia. I cannot remember the initial dosage, or the final dosage that they increased me to. It worked fairly well at first, but the TGN pain kept coming back, and they eventually put me at whatever the max dosage for a person of my size is. It worked for awhile, but I ended up quitting it and am now on Tegretol for the CNS pain caused by the Trigeminal Neuralgia. It's working wonderfully so far.

Keep in mind, that TGN pain is off the chart intense, so it was not unusual that Neurontin only worked for a short time in my case. For other less intense types of neurological pain, Neurontin works very well for most people. And yes, it will make you Loopy!

Rob

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

red246 (12-19-2010)