Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disability and SSI Denied

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I agree about appealing. I got mine the 2nd time around due to seizures brought on by Lupus. I had to get an attorney involved but it was worth it

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow! I am currently going thru this very situation. After 10+ years, I lost my job die to being out of the business. I finally decided to apply for disabilty, because it was evident I was not going to find a job to allow breaks, naps, and snap sessions on the customers when I am having a mood swing. I was denied and it was because they felt, just as you stated, I could do a different job such as security gaurd, or visual inspector....First of all, I dont know how Im supposed to protect someone or their property when I can not protect myself, 2nd, I am unable to sit or stand for periods of time, I experience dizziness and masive headaches, not to mention I have an anuerysim. So, I understand your frustration. I am currently appealing with my lawyer again, because he said he does not understand how I may be denied at all. I am venting, but I do wish everyone the best. If anyone out there has some advice, I would love to hear it, I am all out of ideas!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

tabatha, iam in australia, where things are very different.
    but i wish you success.

i do not understand a system that makes it so hard for the needy, but easy for the rich.

Thanks

Hi Tabitha,

SSD take it as their job to deny you. I know many people try to trick the system but it makes it very hard on those of us that are actually sick. The question I have is this. How long have you been out of work? That is one of the criteria they look at. If you have been out of work too long then you haven't been putting into the system so they won't give you SSD. You might want to check into SSI though. If I understand it correctly that is for people that have not been working.

I will say this however. I know some people get SS without an attorney but I highly suggest getting one. I was denied and kept fighting on my own. As soon as I got an attorney I was approved. Know this though... It doesn't fix everything. It is money but no insurance (medicare) for 2 years and no help with your meds. Thankfully you can eat though!

Hope this helps
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

2 yrs and a 5 month waiting period for the medicare. I finally got mine last Sept. I got the atty after the first denial. They took the payment to the atty out of my back pay. My trial took all of about 8 mins. the judge looked at the gov doc and asked why I was there as it was a no-brainer. I said that I didn't know...it's their f'd up system. They made it active back to last day worked when they usually only go from date of application. They made my re-eval in three years. The social worker said not to contact them in 3 yrs if they don't contact me cause it will just keep going anyway. They'll call me. Sounds good to me. I am not uninsured from Jan 1 till June. Just laying low...locked in a padded room. lol. Still showing cancer (prostate) free since the surgery which was last June. The Raynaud's caused me to turn purple when they tipped me back so the doc freaked and stopped the surgery. My Rheumy was pissed cause she would have told him that it would have happened if the idiot would have called her as she had requested. But Dr God didn't feel the need even though he was wanting me to stop my MTX, Plaq, and Pred two weeks before the surgery and was not happy when i told him no. I told him that he needed to call Rheumy to get me to stop meds.
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Thanks

Oh Mari, I am sorry! I know you have been counting the days, hoping to get insured. It blows my mind that they would deny you, and then tell you to go get a menial type job. I'm glad you are going to continue to fight, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Oh Mari, I am sorry! I know you have been counting the days, hoping to get insured. It blows my mind that they would deny you, and then tell you to go get a menial type job. I'm glad you are going to continue to fight, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Hey Gizmo,

This is an old thread and I actually got approved last year however insurance doesn't come with it for the first 2 years! After backdating I will get my Medicare in Oct. of this year. There is a catch 22.. I MUST continue taking all my meds and seeing docs but I have no insurance to help with that.

LOL Gotta love it!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cptnblah View Post
    2 yrs and a 5 month waiting period for the medicare. I finally got mine last Sept. I got the atty after the first denial. They took the payment to the atty out of my back pay. My trial took all of about 8 mins. the judge looked at the gov doc and asked why I was there as it was a no-brainer. I said that I didn't know...it's their f'd up system. They made it active back to last day worked when they usually only go from date of application. They made my re-eval in three years. The social worker said not to contact them in 3 yrs if they don't contact me cause it will just keep going anyway. They'll call me. Sounds good to me. I am not uninsured from Jan 1 till June. Just laying low...locked in a padded room. lol. Still showing cancer (prostate) free since the surgery which was last June. The Raynaud's caused me to turn purple when they tipped me back so the doc freaked and stopped the surgery. My Rheumy was pissed cause she would have told him that it would have happened if the idiot would have called her as she had requested. But Dr God didn't feel the need even though he was wanting me to stop my MTX, Plaq, and Pred two weeks before the surgery and was not happy when i told him no. I told him that he needed to call Rheumy to get me to stop meds.
    I am SOOOOO happy for you!!!! It is still a long fight but at least one battle was won!!!
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~