Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disability and SSI Denied

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

In the US it is done as follows:

1. Do it yourself
    2. Get an attorney and he charges nothing up front but if you win he gets 25% of what you get (they pay you all the way back to when you first applied so the attorney gets 25% of that up to $6,ooo). One of the reasons you have to get the right attorney is some of them want it to go on a long time because the longer it takes the more they get.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Tgal-
    Does Texas offer a state disability program to pay you for a period of time while you're waiting for the results of your appeal? For example, in CA, employees pay in to State Disability Insurance, a program that's administered by the Employment Development Department. If you're unable to work due to a qualified medical condition, you can collect SDI for up to 52 weeks. It's not as much as you would earn (it's based on the prior quarter earnings, I believe), but at least it's something for living expenses while you're waiting for your SSDI claim to be adjudicated.

I've heard that although SSDI is a Federal program, claims are handled/decided at the state level, is that correct? Based on that understanding, if you live in a state that is in a severe financial crisis, for example California, do you think it would take longer to get your SSDI claim approved?

I'm really hoping that your claim gets approved quickly, Tgal. Why should you have to pay an attorney any of your back pay when you should have been approved from the get go? You need to be able to keep a roof over your head, food on the table and medicine for your medical conditions. Darn govt makes it hard so you'll give up---except you won't, will you?

The govt makes it so difficult for people who are legitimately ill and not merely alcoholics/addicts looking for a handout. Hang in there, girl. We're all here for you and wishing you quick results!

Thanks

Texas has no programs of any kind. I actually spoke to someone today (again) who was helping me look for programs to pay the current medical bills (upwards of $20,000) and was told "I am sorry Mari but you make too much money to receive any help". I then kindly asked (again) "how can $300 a month be too much money?" to which he replied " I know it is crazy but since you only have 1 child and there are only 2 people in your home you cannot make more than $150 a month and receive any help." $150 a month? You have to be frickin kidding me!

As for giving up, I have thought about it. I have thought and thought about what I could do to make money to support my daughter and I but it all comes back to the fact that I can't get in florescent light, I never know when I will have a seizure or when the TN pain is going to hit, I don't know what days I will be too exhausted to get out of the bed and who is going to hire me when I can't even remember what instructions I was given 5 min. before. Yes, I have thought about giving up but honestly there is no way I can. So I will keep fighting them until they do what is right. I have worked my entire life and it isn't like I am asking them to give me something so I can go play bingo everyday. I am asking for them to help me to live.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

tgal-
    Don't worry it will be ok eventually. They always deny the first time. It could take awhile though. My first reply was that I needed to get a job where I wouldn't need to use my hands and wouldn't have to sit, stand, or walk for more than 10 minutes at a time with little to no contact with other people.
    Where they are advertising for that position is still a mystery. Do you live in a close town, have your friends considered having a benefit for you to get you by until you have something coming in. Around here they have them for people all the time I think you'll find people will be very willing to help if you share your story with them.
    Hugs-Heather

Thanks

Gee - sometimes life just SUCKS doesn't it?
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow...Even more solid reasons to never move to the United States. I really hope it all works out for you, and soon.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

Thanks

Hi, I am new here...sort of. I've been more of a reader than a poster. When I saw your post, I had to respond.

It took me nearly 4 years to get my Social Security. I had terrible luck until a friend used to work at SS told me what to do. I tried it and it worked. I hope it can help you too.

Like you and many others, I was denied on my first filing. I hired an attorney and filed my appeal. Before I go further, I have to tell you to stay on top of your attorneys. Prior to being diagnosed with Lupus, I was in the field of hospital risk management and dealt with attorneys on a daily basis. Claims such as these do not get their prompt attention. I found with my own case, I had to make copies of records and documents and hand deliver them myself to the courthouse just to ensure it was done in a timely fashion. The next thing and this is critical if you can get it done. Have each of your doctors write a letter stating that you are completely and totally disabled and unable to return to work at any time in the foreseeable future. It is very important that you use those words. Again, in my case, I wrote the letters and took them to the doctors and had them sign them. By doing that, it saved time and I knew it was done because I hand delivered it myself. I personally took those letters to the courthouse and asked them to add them to my file. I also wrote to my congressman and senator. This may not necessarily get your claim approved, but it can help in speeding up your appeal. Further, some may disagree with this approach, but I did it anyway because I was desperate. After 4 years, having lost everything except my family...I was desperate. Once I found out which judge was assigned to my case, I sent him a personal letter. In my letter I explained my financial circumstances, what my family had been through and pleaded with him to make a bench decision based on hardship. My attorneys were dumbfounded as to how I got my case heard in about 1 month's time as opposed to the usual 2 years. You know the old saying, when you want something done right, do it yourself. Unfortunately the attorneys don't care that you haven't got a nickel in your pocket and have lost your home. Anyway, when I got to the courthouse to have my case heard, the judge told me that he was not going to put me under oath or take any testimony. He said the records spoke for themselves and approved my claim on the spot with a bench decision.

Of course I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it can't hurt. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will help in any way that I can.

God bless,
    Ron

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdiienno For This Useful Post:

riverlaken (05-13-2011), tgal (04-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdiienno View Post
    Hi, I am new here...sort of. I've been more of a reader than a poster. When I saw your post, I had to respond.

It took me nearly 4 years to get my Social Security. I had terrible luck until a friend used to work at SS told me what to do. I tried it and it worked. I hope it can help you too.

Like you and many others, I was denied on my first filing. I hired an attorney and filed my appeal. Before I go further, I have to tell you to stay on top of your attorneys. Prior to being diagnosed with Lupus, I was in the field of hospital risk management and dealt with attorneys on a daily basis. Claims such as these do not get their prompt attention. I found with my own case, I had to make copies of records and documents and hand deliver them myself to the courthouse just to ensure it was done in a timely fashion. The next thing and this is critical if you can get it done. Have each of your doctors write a letter stating that you are completely and totally disabled and unable to return to work at any time in the foreseeable future. It is very important that you use those words. Again, in my case, I wrote the letters and took them to the doctors and had them sign them. By doing that, it saved time and I knew it was done because I hand delivered it myself. I personally took those letters to the courthouse and asked them to add them to my file. I also wrote to my congressman and senator. This may not necessarily get your claim approved, but it can help in speeding up your appeal. Further, some may disagree with this approach, but I did it anyway because I was desperate. After 4 years, having lost everything except my family...I was desperate. Once I found out which judge was assigned to my case, I sent him a personal letter. In my letter I explained my financial circumstances, what my family had been through and pleaded with him to make a bench decision based on hardship. My attorneys were dumbfounded as to how I got my case heard in about 1 month's time as opposed to the usual 2 years. You know the old saying, when you want something done right, do it yourself. Unfortunately the attorneys don't care that you haven't got a nickel in your pocket and have lost your home. Anyway, when I got to the courthouse to have my case heard, the judge told me that he was not going to put me under oath or take any testimony. He said the records spoke for themselves and approved my claim on the spot with a bench decision.

Of course I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it can't hurt. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will help in any way that I can.

God bless,
    Ron
    I don't know how I missed this post! I am so glad that you offered such wonderful information! I am bumping this up for others to read!
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I was so sick and in so much pain I went into a psychotic stage of Lupus. I ended up hanging myself from the tree in my backyard and did a stint in the mental hospital. Turns out if your nuts it's easy to get on disability and SSI. Thank God I survived.

Thanks

Definitely appeal. I was approved the first time around. I also had a vascular necrosis of the hips. SSI loves to say no. See if you can find an attorney to help you.