Thread: Been AWOL - What a week!

Thanks

Red face Been AWOL - What a week!

Hi everyone,
    I haven't had a chance to get to my computer much for the last week - it's been crazy.
    Last Wednesday, I went to a cookie exchange. I baked four dozen Snickerdoodles. I came home with a nice assortment of cookies, after a fun evening drinking wine with the girls. Jeff and I ate some, and my chiropractor/masseuse's office gladly took the rest.

On Thursday, I had a great time volunteering at "Christmas at the Adobes". Our spouses' club volunteers at one of the historic adobe homes in Monterey. I got to sit there in a beautiful dining room, wearing a costume from the 1870s, and explained the room to the tour groups. It was a blast!

On Saturday, we did our Santa Breakfast. I worked the check-in table. We served breakfast to 260 people from the military community. The kids got to visit with Santa and "Mrs. Clause" took their pictures, which we e-mail to the families for free. The local children's museum set up a room full of crafts and fun activities for them, too. My table was at the perfect spot for me to watch the kids with Santa - such fun!

Monday evening, we had our Christmas party at the home of the Chief of Staff. It was 45 ladies gathered around a tree, eating, drinking (!!) and exchanging ornaments.

Tomorrow, we'll be driving up to San Francisco for Jeff's minor surgery. The urologist found a lump in his scrotum, and wants to take it out for a biopsy. It's probably a cyst, which he tends to get a lot of, but better safe than sorry. I'll drive us from the hospital to our favorite little Days' Inn, where we'll spend the night.

On Monday, we'll be flying out to San Antonio. All five kids, their significant others, and the grandkids and grand-dogs, are meeting at Hillary's brand new home. It should be lots of fun, but I already know that I'll be cooking. All of my sons-in-law (and even one ex-SOL) have requested Mom's home-made apple pies.

I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends at our favorite New Year's Eve party. Our friends, who are a retired AF couple, also invite their friends who are Celtic musicians. They sit around the living room playing music all evening. A bag-piper pipes in the New Year while we toast with champagne, then we have real Irish coffee.

Some of my former students saw that I was coming home on my FB page, so they have planned a party. Nearly 30 of them are planning to come. I can't wait to see "my babies" again! A couple of them have married and are planning to bring their babies to the party - I will be so thrilled!

So, I'll check in here this weekend, but then I'll be missing again until Jan. 3.
    I'm hoping that I don't have a flare while traveling. The plaquenil and MTX seem to keep a lot of my symptoms under control. My joints feel good, I have energy, and I only have the butterfly rash on my cheeks when I'm stressed out. My big problem is muscle pain - it hurts from my hips, down my thighs, and into my calves. My toes and feet are just always numb. Yet, the neuro and the rheumy both swear that "there is nothing wrong with my muscles" and "it is not related to Sjogren's". I know better, since I've researched it, and attended a Sjogren's Conference, but the rheumy tells me that "I read too much."

Oh well, I won't get cynical, and I plan to have a great holiday.
    Happy Holidays to all my family at WHL!!!
    Hugs and Love,
    Marla
    Last edited by magistramarla; 12-15-2010 at 09:42 PM.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Wow! You have been a busy woman! Glad to know you are doing ok and enjoying yourself! Don't spread yourself too thin but have a great holiday season!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Ok Marla - we love hearing about your adventures. But most important - we need to know how you have the energy to do all these things. What do you do when you are in pain, or cannot do something, how do you keep going? I am looking forward to finding out how yuo Christmas partying went
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla enjoy Christmas with the family

hugs
    nonna

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I was about to send out a search party. Good to hear from you Marla. I hope all goes well with Jeff, it doesn't sound like he has a fun day ahead. The Celtic musicians sound really cool! Have a safe trip, and a merry Christmas.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla,

That sounds like a great holiday plan! Have fun! And post pics. :smiley face: It sounds like the last week was fun too. You definitely don't let the dust settle on you too long. LOL. Love that about you! Merry Christmas to you and yours oh and if you fee like you need to make an extra apple pie to send along with your NYC daughter I will happily taste test it for you! LOL

Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

marla merry christmas enjoy the holidays you are truly amazing women hugs kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla, love hearing about your busy Christmas schedule for this last week, its hard for us here in Aust to imagine Christmas as you know it. For us Christmas dinner is most likely to be cold ham,seafood and salads temps will be anything up to high 30 degrees Celcius. Some people still do the full Christmas thing- hot meal christmas pud etc. Bye the way what are Snickerdoodles?
    Hope Jeffs surgery went OK your both in my thoughts today.
    Have a great Christmas with your family look forward to hearing all about it in the New Year

Thanks

Best luck for everything Marla, look forward to hearing all about it in the New Year!
    xx
    Sow a thought and reap an act,
    Sow an act and reap a habit,
    Sow a habit and reap a character,
    Sow a character and reap a destiny.
    ***GROW Blue Book pg 32***