Thread: Promising Lupus Research

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Promising Lupus Research

Scientists have announce that a certain antibody may help to stop the immune system's assault upon healthy tissues. They are also trying to find ways to improve the treatment and management of lupus in the kidney's and central nervous system.
    Other treatment options are being explored, including the reconstruction of the immune system by bone marrow transplant.

Thanks

Saysusie, would you know exactly who it is that is looking into the antibody to correct the immune system, are they in America or Europe and will you be keeping us all up to date on the progress of their research. We had not heard about that breakthrough over here but I will ask my GP if he has any more information on it. Jaycee

Thanks

iam lorie from michigan iam very new at this chatting way .. i have lupus for 24 yrs i would love any info on the newest treatments that you can come up with ...
    i wouldnt mind beening a tester on any thing ...
    i find myself getting down cuz of my lupus ..... its all over my face
    thanks for any info u can give me
    your friend
    lorie
    iam all most 40 ...
    i have discord lupus its flares often .. i had it for about 24 yrs .. sometimes it getts me down .. i would like to make it go away
    your friend lorie

Thanks

Lori, sorry to hear about your problems with lupus, I had forgotten that I wrote in to Saysuzie about the new research, I just checked and found it is almost a month ago that I sent that email and I have nothing to report as yet because I have not had to visit the G.P. however I hope to pay him a 'social ' call within the next week or so I will let you know if he has anything to report. It would be fantastic if they come up with something positive. Keep well. Jaycee from down under.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Sorry I Took So Long To Answer

here are some of the most recent research findings that I've learned about:
    1. the FDA cleared a new screening test for LUPUS - the 1st diagnostic breakthrough in more than 40 yrs. It is hoped that it will increase early diagnosis by 20%
    2. LJP 395, a B lymphocyte immunomodulator for the treatment of renal disease in LUPUS is now in phase III trials.
    3. Pharmecutical preparations of the Hormone DHEA were placed on hold, but the FDA approved a new drug (Prestara) for bone mineral density (only for mild to moderate LUPUS)
    4. The first stem-cell transplant to treat LUPUS was performed over 5 yrs ago. Now, this treatment is being tried in several different centers and is in phase III. Early findings show promise as some patients have achieved total remission.
    6. The drug for LUPUS NEPHRITIS (Eculizumab) is in phase II trials.
    7. Studies show that the B Lymphocyte Stimulator may be a sensitive marker for LUPUS activity - phase I clinical trial is being initiated (this drug inhibits the stimulation of B cell development)
    8. Scientists have identified new information about the B cell activating factor (what it is, I am not sure)
    9. Research continues on the role of bacteria and viruses in LUPUS.

Here are some web sites for further research and studies of our disease:
    www.lupusresearchinstitute.org
    www.niams.nih.gov - research into genetic risk factors for lupus in African American women
    www.nih.gov - Study of neuropsychiatric factors in LUPUS
    www.muhealth.org - they are conducting the studies with mice which have had promising answers into LUPUS!

I will keep researching and providing you with sites and/or information!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I forgot to mention the following article which is very interesting, especially for those who have serious LUPUS symptoms:

The Alliance for LUPUS Research (www.lupusresearch.org) - Lupus Research Update, April 2003. This article discusses the fact that researchers have found a genetic "signature" commone to almost all patients with severe LUPUS (interferon). Researching are trying to determine if blocking the pattern and/or activities of interferon can suppress the disease!! That would be close enuf to a cure for most of us!!

Blessings
    Saysusie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

dw172 (12-27-2011)

Thanks

Thanks for all the info.

Hopefully, we can always hear the good news for the LSE cure ...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I_Verca;
    You are more than welcome.....that is why this site is here and that is why I am here! To help in any way that I can
    :lol:
    Saysusie

Thanks

Bless ya, saysusie...

verca 8)