Thread: 33M, was an Athletic Fighter that got sick too often, Very Ill past 1 1/2 yrs-LUPUS

Thanks

Default 33M, was an Athletic Fighter that got sick too often, Very Ill past 1 1/2 yrs-LUPUS

Hi all,
    Have gotten very "sick", very often like every 5th or 6th week of my life would be down with a "Viral Infection". Did Martial Arts my whole life. Trained MMA at the highest level for 14 yrs, fought Pro a few times. Being athletic, and training 4 nights a week was my life, and my identity. A year and a half ago I got very ill. Migraines started, overheated in the summer, dizzy etc. After much to do and many months, told I have LUPUS and Sjorgens, which is kinda funny but not since I have been known by the name DanTheWolfman for many many years. Now I am tired, all the time, in pain all the time. And it just goes from Bad to ******* horrible. It is always kinda bad. Lately, some days my hands hurt horribly. Mind you I have a Very high pain tolerance. It all just sucks. I don't have energy to go out, to deal with people, put off doing laundry and grocery shopping because I just feel like resting. I am teaching martial arts twice a week and training Kali once a week, but this wipes me out the rest of that day and the next. I can still perform well for a couple hours, be it martial arts or sex, but I get totally wiped out from it and need to reboost the energy levels for a couple days like the energy meter on a video game. Have to sleep with both hands under different pillows so the weight stretches them out. Just frustrated and Angry, though was diagnosed 8 or 9 months ago.

Hi
    Last edited by rob; 12-15-2010 at 03:46 AM.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi again Dan. I welcomed you in another thread because I saw you there first. Your story sounds very familiar to many of ours. We were not lazy, or whinny or babies and then we got sick and it takes every bit of energy we have to get out of a chair or off the couch. There really is some good information here. Feel free to look through all the old threads I am sure you will find info that will be helpful. Also feel free to start new threads if you have things you want to discuss.

I know this is hard but we will all be here for you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Dan,

Welcome to WHL and your new family.
    We are all pretty much in the same boat, so yes we understand.
    Sorry that you are having such a rough time.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Thanks, my hands are the worst they have ever been....Plus I go home to michigan for a couple weeks is the super cold probably going to make me worse?

Thanks

Someone posted pictures of having battery operated gloves to keep her hands warm. Perhaps you can get some for yourself
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hello Dan,

Welcome to our group. I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004. I know what you mean about your work, and your identity. Most of my life both in the military and as a civillian was spent in the field of smallarms design and training. Well, cognitive dysfunction (AKA Brainfog) and weapons/explosives don't mix. I became a safety hazard on my own factory floor as well as at the test range. I had to quit, sell the business, and I ended up going on full disability. It was like I had a part of me amputated. My friends, my girlfriend, all the social and business circles I ran in came about as a result of my career, and when it ended, well, it wasn't pretty.

I understand the anger, and the frustration, as I deal with them too. You are only 8-9 months into your diagnosis, and I know things really suck right now, but things will get better. There are a lot of adjustments to be made, and issues to confront along the way, but things will not always be this bad. There are good days ahead of us still. I've been living with Lupus for 6 years, and MS for two. Upon receiving each diagnosis, I figured it was game over, especially with the first. But hey, I'm still alive, and despite the limitations these diseases place upon me, I live a pretty good life. There are bad days, some, really bad. But, my good days are really good, and some, better than good.

Have hope. There are a bunch of us here who have survived, and thrived for many years despite this disease. Living with Lupus is by no means easy, but it can be done.

Once again, welcome to our group,

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-15-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linda From Australia View Post
    Someone posted pictures of having battery operated gloves to keep her hands warm. Perhaps you can get some for yourself
    Hi Linda,
    It was me Terri [peridot-gem] i posted a Blog refering the gloves but Dan could look at my blog and he'll see the address, phone Number plus email of a site for special needs concerning our illness's and to buy from them.

Terri x

Thanks

Hi Dan,
    Welcome to the WHL mate, we're one large family here in whatever circumstances we give support the best we can and at the moment i know how you feel, as i have Sjogren's syndrome besides many more and being born with it as never helped me plus i've always been a total clean freak and the lots all had to be spread out, i'm totally drained at the mo going through alot of pain and like yourself feel like i don't know which way to turn and all i want lately is total rest but i have noticed 2 days of rest in between helps alot and leave the rest.
    You might not know it but you still may be pushing your body to the limits because of your routine you've always lead, i know it's hard but try and rest more.

Terri xxx

Thanks

Hi guys, thanks for the support. Rob I am a firearms enthusiast myself, and anything relating to self-defense. Sorry to hear about that. thanks for sharing.