Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Find- Nails

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

Default Interesting Find- Nails

I was looking for some pictures of Raynaud's syndrome to see if there were any others than the classic bright blue and full white fingers when I ran across this. These nails (bottom of the nail to be exact) look EXACTLY like mine and imagine my surprise when it said "Puffy Nail Fold
    If the skin around the nail appears red and puffy, this is known as inflammation of the nail fold. It may be the result of lupus or another connective tissue disorder.
    http://forum.xcitefun.net/what-your-...th-t37599.html
    (it is about halfway down the page with the picture)

Did anyone else know this? Does anyone else's fingers look like this?
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

magistramarla (01-08-2011), SandyR (12-09-2010)

Thanks

Very Interesting Tgal

I have the puffy nail fold and the cracked, peeling nails.

Thanks

I have it a little on only some of my fingers. My doctor looks at my nail beds very closely every time I see her.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

very interesting! I knew about the ridges (I have psoriasis) but I also have always been prone to split nails and there was a thyroid issue suspected this past year. I also get that puffy nail fold but it's not all the time and not on all nails.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Thanks tgal, that is so me... Puffy Nail Fold
    Also I have Pale Nails - Very pale nails are sometimes linked to aging. But they can also be a sign of serious illness, such as: • Anemia
    And I also have uncontrolled anemia for over 6 months and I am also aging (if 48 is getting old)
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

WOW! That was really interesting! My nails also look that way!
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My nails have always been bad like this. I thought it was due to my low blood calcium. Now I need to check this out again.
    Thanks Mari for the new info

twitching away nonna

Thanks

Default More nail info

Yes mine look that way as well. Another tid bit of nail info is I have a distinct line across every nail horizontally. My Rhuemi told me that was a marking for the onset of severe raynauds. It is a dented line horizontally across every nail. As the nail grows it moves up. It is almost to the edge to be cut off now. I just thought you might like to know that as well.

Thanks

Hey Mari,
    That was an informative site.
    My good rheumy back in Texas used to begin every appointment by taking my hands in hers and examining them. I thought that she was just looking for signs of RA.
    I have the puffy nail folds and the ridged nails, and my dx (by the good rheumy) included "mild lupus" and psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis.
    The not-so-good rheumy that I have now doesn't come near me at appointments. She just buries her nose in my records and renews prescriptions.
    When I told her that I had had a flare-up of psoriasis on my face, she laughed and said that I read too much.

So, the more I learn, the less confidence I have in this rheumy. My hands are weak and achy, too. I wonder if these are signs of RA? It will be an interesting appointment when I return to Texas!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you for that info it was very helpful that puffy nail fold is what i have and boy does it hurt they are so tender. Now i'm wondering what wonderful drug they will give for it, because as it is im not taking any meds for my lupus i'm trying the natural healthy approach. I've been ok but latley i've had to deal with a stressfull situation. I'm sure that has encourage a flare for me. Any suggestion as to a topical cream that may help

thank you