Thread: Chronic diarrhea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Chronic diarrhea

For a long while now, over 3 weeks, I've had diarrhea and very soft stools. I went to my doctor and he had me do a stool test to check for parasites and infection, and that came back normal, but I still have diarrhea and it just seems to be getting worse. I can't go out because I end up needing to use the washroom really badly, and it's always straight water. I have gut pain and I look bloated when it happens, and even after I go I don't feel any relief, leave the washroom and end up having to race back there again. This happens about 3-4 times a day and I can't control it, so if I am not near a washroom then I am in serious trouble.

I take prednisone, anti depressants, and a new drug I started a week ago for acid reflux, but I had the diarrhea before this so I'm not really pinning the blame on this new pill. I'll be getting more tests, food allergy testing and IBS for now...Is that what it could be? Does anyone else have this problem? It is a HUGE embarressment to me...I honestly would have to wear a diaper if I had to go out somewhere all day...
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,205 Posts

Oh Girl you are not alone! We have a whole thread where we all came "out" about this! I have had this issue for over 3 years. I can't eat in a car or anywhere that I am not close to a restroom. I had my most embarrassing moment with this today although it is so bad I am not going to tell about it here. I am going to find that thread for you but believe me you are NOT alone! It is one of the things I hate the most!

Here you go! You can see how many of us there are! http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthr...if-this-is-TMI
    Last edited by tgal; 12-08-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Check out the other thread. And ask your Doctor about Irritable Bowel syndrome. Susie posted info on the other thread. Forget where it's is or the name. Oh well, brain fog prevails

I've had this most of my adult life.
    Nonna

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks guys, I forgot about this thread.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It TOTALLY SUCKS to have this issue! I have only been suffering with it for about 8 months now, and like you was tested and treated for bacteria in the colon. I have a picc line and do rounds of IV antibiotics, so of course that is where the blame was always placed. I just figured out after months of keeping track on my own, it happens to me when I am in a flare. I finally mentioned it to the doc that manages my lupus and he confirmed that many lupus sufferers have this problem. He also said that he sees it so often, he has begun to call it a side effect of lupus!!! There actually is a positive side to it however . . . When my husband disagrees with me and says, "Oh Angie, you are full of @*%#!" I always say . . . You may want to re-think that statement! (I cant believe I am going to post this!)
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by froggal View Post
    It TOTALLY SUCKS to have this issue! I have only been suffering with it for about 8 months now, and like you was tested and treated for bacteria in the colon. I have a picc line and do rounds of IV antibiotics, so of course that is where the blame was always placed. I just figured out after months of keeping track on my own, it happens to me when I am in a flare. I finally mentioned it to the doc that manages my lupus and he confirmed that many lupus sufferers have this problem. He also said that he sees it so often, he has begun to call it a side effect of lupus!!! There actually is a positive side to it however . . . When my husband disagrees with me and says, "Oh Angie, you are full of @*%#!" I always say . . . You may want to re-think that statement! (I cant believe I am going to post this!)
    LOLOL That is priceless!!!

I don't know if you read the other post but Susie posted a wonderful piece of on Fibro and IBS. I learned so much from that! If you didn't read it take a look! The link is in this threads
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~