Thread: Diet restrictions - Wow

Thanks

Default Diet restrictions - Wow

I've been reading around, trying to pinpoint some possible dietary triggers. The main 2 things which are driving me mad are; sore eyes and crazy fatigue. Grr.

I'm already avoiding gluten, after testing positive on two home tests. I'm also currently avoiding the nightshade family. But I'm finding recently, that I'm becoming very sleepy after eating almost anything.

I found a list of 14 foods to avoid. Well, while that maybe helpful, I'm not left wondering what on earth I should be eating. I was already struggling, as I'm a ridiculously fussy eater, now I have no idea what to eat.

It seems all that's left is fruit and veg. Though not even citrus!

Is this list a little exhaustive? Are there are GOOD foods? foods that might help me feel better. Are there any foods in the list, that shouldn't be?

Any help at this point will be much appreciated. It almost seems easier to just quit eating for the most part.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I didn't see chicken or fish listed. They are always telling me to eat them.
    Best bet is to see a nutritionist and get a diet set up. I did and it worked until I had to go on the pred.

Good Luck,
    nonna

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Most of this is the list I have been given seperately for different diseases. Personally, I think it's really hard to 100% eliminate this entire list, but I know I feel better when I avoid certain items on it so I have definately cut back on the items on this list. Avoidance doesn't work as well as adjustment and moderation for me so I only have the items on this list when I really want them and mostly eat chicken.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

It's interesting that although this list mentions Legumes, it does not call by name Alfalfa. It's one of the few foods that has indeed been proven to induce autoimmune disorders in some humans, as well as causing serious problems for those who already have Lupus. It should be at the very top of the list in bold print. To me, this sort of omission calls into question the validity of this list, and others like it. Despite what you read on some internet sites, there really is no specific Lupus diet, other than having a well balanced diet and practicing moderation like anyone should try to do.

Other than not eating Alfalfa, there is no way I could ever realistically adhere to a diet that excludes all the items on the list, nor do I want to. To go through such an effort when there is no scientific proof that there is some sort of beneficial effect in relation to SLE, is a waste of time, in my opinion. To be blunt, these lists, for the most part, are BS.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-09-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks

Hi Maverick,

What I have found the most helpful is to keep a food diary for three weeks. Write down everything you eat - everything AND how you feel after you eat each meal/snack. It should show you, in time, which foods give you energy and which foods make you feel sleepy, uncomfortable, etc.

I did this when I was first diagnosed four years ago, and my findings are not exactly what is on your list. I [I]do[I] have celiac (which was diganosed after the lupus and Sjogren's), so avoiding gluten is a must for me. I also feel best when I eat eggs, beef, fish, shellfish, vegetables, rice, and fruit.

The thing is, each of our bodies is different, and reacts differently to each substance. Just as each of us are affected by lupus differently. Some of us have photosensitivity, some don't. Some of us have organ involvement, some don't. Some of us, then, can eat beef, citrus fruits, and soy and some can't. The only true, valid way to know is to experiment. It takes time, but is absolutely worth it. I'm doing very well right now, I've been out of major flares since September (a near record for me!) and I'm now able to go out two or three nights a week even after working full time. I also noticed a HUGE difference when I cut the processed foods and reduced the amount of caffeine I have.

Typical day's meals for me are:

Breakfast - 2 eggs over hard, yogurt (Dannon Light & Fit), banana, glass of milk
    Lunch - 2 chicken legs, green beans with olive oil/garlic/sun dried tomatoes, brown rice, yogurt, grapes or orange
    Snack - gluten free pretzels (small handful) or peanuts
    Dinner - half a rib steak, artichoke, baked potato, apple/applesauce/orange/banana/grapes (some kind of fruit)
    TV time - glass of Pepsi One or tea

Hope this helps!
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

I regularly see a dietition to help me with nausea. What she and many doctors have told me is number 1. Avoid Alfalfa , but apart from that they have told me to make sure I eat a very balanced diet. Also to check to see if I react to any foods and avoid them. Lupus affects people differently. Not everyone with Lupus has the same symptoms and the same test results. Also they are affected by foods differently. You may have some degree of sensitivity to certain foods depending on the disease activity at the time. At one stage when I have kidney problems I had huge problems after eating bananas and onions. When I started getting better I introduced those foods slowly, now I don't have a problem with them.

My STRONG advice would be:
    1. Eat a very healthy balanced diet (for quite a few weeks)
    2. Make a diary of everything you eat for a few weeks and see if there is a pattern to what you eat and how you feel.
    3. Take certain foods out of your diet for a few weeks to see if it makes any difference
    4. Introduce those foods back into your diet slowly

The most important advice given to Lupus patients is to live a very healthy lifestyle. Unscientific avoidance of food is depriving you of small joys in life. Why put yourself through that if there is so much going on with your life at the moment.

Again I strongly advise - eat a healthy diet. We have really good programmes in Australia that promotes healthy eating. You might want to have a look at some of them.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/E384CFA588B74377CA256F190004059B/$File/fd-cons.pdf
    http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...nopses/n29.pdf
    http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...nopses/n31.pdf

Hopefully your take some positive action to improve your lifestyle.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

rob (12-09-2010)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

^Excellent post Linda. Good practical advice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow, that's interesting because I literally crave fruits throughout the day and that was certainly not the case for the past 40 years. I've also found these wonderful fish sticks as well as portobello tortolini from Lean Cuisine. My tastes are so picky you'd think I'd be thin. Nope, not the case! Interesting post, though!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have also been told to eat many of the foods that are on that list! The only food I have been told to avoid is Alfalfa. I agree about keeping a food journal. It is SO important in order for you to figure out what triggers you. Since lupus affects its sufferers so differently, it is hard to say what would or would not agree with you. I also agree with Rob. The list you found may be correct for CERTAIN people, but not everyone. It is really up to you to keep a great journal, and to be sure to be specific when you journal. When you do eat something make sure to list EVERYTHING that was in it right down to the spices. It is a pain and it does take time to figure out what triggers you, but it is SO worth it! Just remember to be specific when you are listing foods. Something as simple as onions, which people put in many things, could be a trigger. Good luck and remember . . . No two people are alike when it comes to Lupus!
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

The diet journal is important for many reasons. Not only can certain foods cause you to flare it is mostly accepted that most migraine suffers have a "trigger food". Mine is chocolate (and yes I love chocolate). I can eat it any time except when everything is right for me to have a migraine. I know when that is because I don't just want chocolate, I CRAVE it! When I was a teenager I use to have my mother hide anything chocolate from me when I began to crave chocolate because the craving would become so strong I couldn't stop myself. I literally tore the house apart hunting for the hidden chocolate even though I knew what it would do to me! It was insane! My grandmothers trigger food was tomato sauces (IE marinara sauce etc). Same thing with her. She could eat it except when all the forces were set for her to have a migraine. She would begin to crave it and, once she gave in and ate it, migraine. The doctors explained years (decades) ago that is is basically a variation of a food allergy.

Sadly it isn't quite as simple now that I have a different kind of migraines thanks to lovely autoimmune issues but I still pay attention because I believe they would be worse if I didn't monitor my body like I do.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~