Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are these lupus symptoms?

Thanks

Default Are these lupus symptoms too?

Besides the joint and muscle pain I have every day, I have these other symptoms for a while now, but they are getting stronger all the time.
    My sense of smell is getting so strong, I can smell things before anybody else can, good and bad smells. Same thing with taste, things taste spoiled to me, long before anybody else can taste it. My hearing is getting ( I don't know if you want to call it better), but all of a sudden I can hear background music,I couldn't hear before. Now loud noises are driving me crazy, I am constantly turning down the volume on the tv and I am always turning off the radio in the car. I can't stand being touched, my skin, or better my tissues hurt, I am very sensitive to touch, it just hurts. My poor husband, he loves to touch and hug me,or just hold me, but lately I pull away alot, because it just hurts. He gave me a gentle massage and ran his fingers down my spine, it hurt like I was being stabbed with knifes. My spine is very sensitive. I used to enjoy sleeping in his arms, now I can't even stand the cover against my body. Are these also lupus symptoms, does anyone else have this problem?

Debbie
    Last edited by debbie-b; 07-06-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks

Default opposite is happening to me

Hi debbie - I can't really answer your question but thought it was odd that I feel like the opposite is happening to me. I used to be really sensitive to smells and now I'm not at all. I babysit and it's bad because a lot of the time I can't smell the poopy diapers! Not bad that I can't smell that smell, lol, but bad because I don't know to change them right away. Usually one of my children (who are no longer in diapers) will inform me of the 'odor" before I smell it. My skin also isn't very sensitive anymore. I have to be careful in the shower because I can't really tell if the water is too hot and sometimes I get out and my skin is really red! Sorry I don't have any answers but hopefully your hypersensitivity (I just made up that word, haha) will go back to "normal" soon!!

Ang

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ang123 View Post
    Hi debbie - I can't really answer your question but thought it was odd that I feel like the opposite is happening to me. I used to be really sensitive to smells and now I'm not at all. I babysit and it's bad because a lot of the time I can't smell the poopy diapers! Not bad that I can't smell that smell, lol, but bad because I don't know to change them right away. Usually one of my children (who are no longer in diapers) will inform me of the 'odor" before I smell it. My skin also isn't very sensitive anymore. I have to be careful in the shower because I can't really tell if the water is too hot and sometimes I get out and my skin is really red! Sorry I don't have any answers but hopefully your hypersensitivity (I just made up that word, haha) will go back to "normal" soon!!

Ang

Thanks Ang

It is really weird, that you are the exact opposite, wow I am confused ( it doesn't take much these days LOL).

Debbie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    Besides the joint and muscle pain I have every day, I have these other symptoms for a while now, but they are getting stronger all the time.
    My sense of smell is getting so strong, I can smell things before anybody else can, good and bad smells. Same thing with taste, things taste spoiled to me, long before anybody else can taste it. My hearing is getting ( I don't know if you want to call it better), but all of a sudden I can hear background music,I couldn't hear before. Now loud noises are driving me crazy, I am constantly turning down the volume on the tv and I am always turning off the radio in the car. I can't stand being touched, my skin, or better my tissues hurt, I am very sensitive to touch, it just hurts. My poor husband, he loves to touch and hug me,or just hold me, but lately I pull away alot, because it just hurts. He gave me a gentle massage and ran his fingers down my spine, it hurt like I was being stabbed with knifes. My spine is very sensitive. I used to enjoy sleeping in his arms, now I can't even stand the cover against my body. Are these also lupus symptoms, does anyone else have this problem?

Debbie
    One small story related to your symptoms.I hear old Tv noises in the background that nobody hears!I,ve been tols there are low frequences that we are not suppouse to pick them up! Strange,we`re turning into more evolved huma beeeings i guess

Thanks

Perhaps it's something that comes and goes with flares?? Always a new mystery... Looking forward to other responses!

Ang

Thanks

debbie,

I feel like yu sometimes.... I guess its like a flare or something maybe a symptom of lupus??? Im sensitive to touch sometimes not all the time, but i have my times when i dont like to be touch because it is painful. My hearing is supernatural I can hear any and everything. Its like i have bionic eaqrs or something, noise does drive me crazy too. As far as taste sometimes I think things taste weird??? I guess, people say Im tripping or its in my head. But I know Im not crazy. I just tell people Im a mutant lol

You are not alone
    Chriss
    Live, love, and most importantly be grateful!!

Thanks

Debbie, I'm sorry to hear of your new symptoms. I sometimes have the same problems with the sense of smell, taste and hearing, but not so much with the touch bit. It reminds me a lot of when I was pregnant, everything would seem more enhanced, I guess you could say. There are days where noises seem more intense, and I'll have this high pitched ringing or buzzing. The odd smells and tastes cause me to feel nauseous. I wonder if the lupus flares cause our senses to become more heightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Terente View Post
    One small story related to your symptoms.I hear old Tv noises in the background that nobody hears!I,ve been tols there are low frequences that we are not suppouse to pick them up! Strange,we`re turning into more evolved huma beeeings i guess
    That is too funny!!! My ex (who is also my best friend) stayed this past weekend with us. He knows what I've been going through and has been incredibly understanding and supportive for me. Saturday night and Sunday morning I was waking up in pain every 20 to 30 minutes and having to change position, sit up and sometimes even stand up to try to walk the pain out . This of course would wake him up. Exhausted, and feeling in pain, but also feeling bad that I kept waking him up through all of this because I knew he had a paper he needed to finish in order to meet his midnight deadline on Sunday , I just told him "guess this is what it feels like to mutate. Maybe those of us with lupus are just starting to evolve faster than you all". Him, being a scifi junkie thought this was the funniest thing he heard, laughed. Then, without missing a beat he looked at me as seriously as he could and said "So, what's your super ability going to be, constant pain?"

It's amazing how humor helps us get through some of the toughest things we have to go through. I don't know if we were both just completely exhausted or what, but we were laughing about that for a good 15 minutes. Today he sent me a morning text asking how his favorite mutant was feeling and if I've uncovered any actual useful superior abilities.
    "When life gives you lemons... search for the vodka"

Thanks

We should all be featured in the next X-Men movie as mutants I also feel like that sometimes but maybe we are the normal ones and everyone else is strange..........hey, it was a nice though!!!!

I do not have the sensitivity with hearing, smells or seeing things, I have the opposite in those areas. The one thing I can agree on is that my skin hurts. Sometimes it hurts more than others but just the other night my left leg hurt and it wasn't as if the pain was inside, it was right on top....in my skin! If I touched my skin I would just shutter. Tim is great when this happens. We know that part of the problem is that my neurons receive pain different and therefore, he rubs my arms or back and this helps my body to focus on another feeling. I know it may sound silly but it really does help. When I was getting those enormous shots in my head, Tim would do this each time and they really helped and my neurologist said there was something behind it all. So, next time your skin hurts, have your husband gently tickle your arm or back. I am sorry you are going through this, it is not fun! I am sending you very gentle hugs and thoughts of a painless night
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Thank you guys,

At least I know, that I am not a freak and other people get these weird things too. My husband is so great, before he touches me, he will ask, which part of my skin does not hurt. The bionic hearing is ok, except for loud noises. The enhanced taste is ok, unless it is something gross. But I tell you the enhanced smell can be pretty disgusting, when you work with the public, yuck body odor, urin odor and poopy diapers. Oh and the fish department in the grocery store, I can smell it, my husband can't. I haven't eaten fish in a long time. But I can also smell the good aromas, not good for the figure.

Debbie

Thanks

AWWWW Debbie, i just wanted to say that what a GREAT husband you have! It was so sweet to read about him touching you a lot and messaging you too!! Even though it hurts you! I too have all of what you listed, in fact when my ENT did a hearing test he said "wow girl, you have GREAT hearing!" I said "yeah i know but i DONT like it or want it!"
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette