Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is official. I am worried

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Default It is official. I am worried

As many of you know I have been concerned about my daughter because she has had problems with her joints for about 8 years. She went to a rhuemy when she was 6 who said her knee was out of place and told her to wear a brace when exercising. It began to get worse last year and I took her back to her regular doctor (who is WONDERFUL) and he gave her some strong meds to take to help with her knees. It didn't help and it has now progressed from just the knees to the hips (which pop out of place), lower back and neck.

Last week she told me that she was getting pains in her hands. It wasn't until she was talking about it yesterday that I figured out she was talking about the "pins and needle" feeling that many of us get. That concerned me even more but I was still not officially worrying.

This morning I began to worry. We had a cold front move in last night and I, of course, am feeling it today. My daughter, being a normal teen, slept late. When she woke up she came out and I did the usual "Good morning honey. How are you this morning". Her response hit me at my core. "I don't feel good mom. I hurt". I asked where she hurt and she said "All over. My knees, my neck, my back, all of my joints and even my muscles. I just hurt so bad". NOT what I wanted to hear.

Her appointment with the rhuemy is Thurs morning at Texas Children's in Houston. He is the head of the Rhuemy department there. On the one hand I want to find out what is wrong so they can make her better but on the other hand I can't imagine having to watch my daughter going through what I go through. I can handle it. I don't know if I can handle having to watch my baby like this.

Please cross your fingers for her. Let this doctor figure out what is going on so they can fix her before it is too late.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mari they will find the answer; kept on trying it's out there. And you are right we are all here for one another.

Hugs and good thoughts
    nonna

Thanks

Mari,
    I'm with you on this - we hate to see our kids start down the road that we are on.
    I get looked at like I'm crazy when I point out to docs that I watched my mother and my aunt go through all of the symptoms that I'm having. They keep telling me that it is NOT genetic. I know better. The "old folks" in our family called it "the family curse".
    There was an interesting thread on another AI site that called Sjogren's "The Viking Warrior disease". It seems that some research showed that it could have been spread through northern Europe by the Vikings. Interestingly, my mother's side of the family - that suffers from "the family curse" - is from Scotland.
    I keep seeing mild symptoms in my four girls. I suspect that when they are my age, they will be dealing with it, too. All we can do is hope that by that time, it will be easily treatable. I hope that you get some answers this week.
    Hugs,
    Marla

4. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Sherry47 (12-09-2010)

Thanks

Dear mari sorry you are going through this with your daughter i hope you get the answers you need we all hate to think we could pass this on to our children i will be thinking of you and your daughter and hoping you get the answeres you need hugs my friend kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mari (((hugs))) I can't imagine what that would feel like to watch your little girl go through that. If you find out she is suffering from what we are, thank goodness she has such a great mother that has shown her how life can be lived with this mess. I hope that she isn't though. I will be sure to keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Ok Everyone. Tomorrow is my daughters appointment with the rhuemy. We will leave home at 5:45AM because we have to be there at 8AM. For any of you that have never been to Houston during rush hour I will explain why we are leaving so early. The medical center is on the other side of Houston which is about an hour from where I live if you drive straight through. If we leave here at 5:45 we will get there around 7AM and can have some breakfast at the hospital. If we wait until 6:30 to leave we will make it to the hospital about 10 due to traffic. I try not to get appointments first thing in the morning but it was this or she had to wait until Jan.

Anyway. Wish us luck and keep those fingers crossed please
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thoughts and prayers. I just moved to Dallas from Houston and know what you mean. Texas Children's is an amazing hospital and they will figure it out. I lived in NW Houston, then Katy then Sugar Land.
    Micromedic
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Good thoughts and hugs to both of you .
    Nonna

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Good luck today Mari, fingers and toes are crossed...

Thanks

I know how you feel worrying about your daughter. I have seventeen year old twins, one is officially diagnosed with Lupus like me and the other has a high ANA and is being monitored. Wishing you luck!
    Sherry