Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heaping plate of fatigue with a side of guilt. What is your fatigue like??

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Heaping plate of fatigue with a side of guilt. What is your fatigue like??

A lot of times on a cold day I have more fatigue than actual pain. Well, let me explain it differently. If I weren't on morphine the pain would probably still be noticeable, but a lot of times I still hurt through the pain medicine. The pain doesn't come through as much, but the fatigue is IMMENSE. I was going to get up and go to church this morning, but I could NOT get going. I mean it was like I had 10lb weights on my legs and eyelids! haha. I guess I have to laugh about it, but of course I feel guilty. I ran around with my parents yesterday all day because today is my Dad's b-day. I feel so guilty that I was too tired to go to church with him, but well enough yesterday to go to lunch and Christmas shopping. My inner voice says that I know I can't help it, but still you know how that is. I hate dissapointing my dad because he never dissapoints me. What is your fatigue like? I'm really curious about how it feels with everyone else. Mine is flu-like. If I keep going through the fatigue it's like trying to run under water.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Islablue View Post
    A lot of times on a cold day I have more fatigue than actual pain. Well, let me explain it differently. If I weren't on morphine the pain would probably still be noticeable, but a lot of times I still hurt through the pain medicine. The pain doesn't come through as much, but the fatigue is IMMENSE. I was going to get up and go to church this morning, but I could NOT get going. I mean it was like I had 10lb weights on my legs and eyelids! haha. I guess I have to laugh about it, but of course I feel guilty. I ran around with my parents yesterday all day because today is my Dad's b-day. I feel so guilty that I was too tired to go to church with him, but well enough yesterday to go to lunch and Christmas shopping. My inner voice says that I know I can't help it, but still you know how that is. I hate dissapointing my dad because he never dissapoints me. What is your fatigue like? I'm really curious about how it feels with everyone else. Mine is flu-like. If I keep going through the fatigue it's like trying to run under water.
    I think I understand how you feel. I used to feel terribly guilty and thought people would think I was lazy. When I had fatigue at its worst I could just about manage to struggle into my clothes, what seemed like an impossible feat of endurance at the time, then I'd have to go back to sleep. A trip up or down the stairs was made on my bottom and elbows and was a very very slow process. I once slept for three days and nights.

It still happens on a much smaller scale. I feel as though my legs are made of lead and I just need to stop and sit down, it often hits me all of a sudden. Sometimes I suddenly feel incredibly tired and worn out. It happened at work last week and someone asked why I was walking funny as though I'd had an accident. I didn't realise I was walking funny. I was embarassed and just said I don't feel well and want to go to bed. She didn't get it at all.

Try not to let this get you down, it will pass and you will feel better. Don't ever let go of your hope.

Stef

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Girl, you better believe I won't ever let go of hope at all. None of us should. I just think I will always feel a little guilt missing things because of Lupus. I know what you mean, the feat of getting dressed and ready for something is like a mountain climb, isn't it? I just like to hear what everyone has difficulty with. Everyone is different, but we all seem to find difficulty with fatigue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Islablue View Post
    Girl, you better believe I won't ever let go of hope at all. None of us should. I just think I will always feel a little guilt missing things because of Lupus. I know what you mean, the feat of getting dressed and ready for something is like a mountain climb, isn't it? I just like to hear what everyone has difficulty with. Everyone is different, but we all seem to find difficulty with fatigue.
    Your description of trying to run under water is a good one. I've thought of it like trying to run through glue or as though someone has tied concrete blocks to my feet. Also as though a heavy weight has descended on me.

Interestingly, I've had a headache for a week and none of the headache tablets have worked. I remembered to take the allergy tablet today recommended for my rash and hurrah, the headache has gone away. The medicine is Chlorphenamine Maleate, recommended on the box for insect bites, allergy, skin reactions and hayfever, but not for headaches!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Stef a lot of headaches are allergy related so allergy meds work.

My fatigue is like no energy, no desire to move, no strength at all, just want to lie there. I sing in the choir at church; so you know I feel guilty when I don't go. I've been called lazy all my life. Back in the 70's when CB radios where popular we had nicknames. I was given the name "Sleepy".

It hits us all differently, that is one thing I've over this last year. We are all affected differently

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nonna View Post
    Stef a lot of headaches are allergy related so allergy meds work.

My fatigue is like no energy, no desire to move, no strength at all, just want to lie there. I sing in the choir at church; so you know I feel guilty when I don't go. I've been called lazy all my life. Back in the 70's when CB radios where popular we had nicknames. I was given the name "Sleepy".

It hits us all differently, that is one thing I've over this last year. We are all affected differently
    I had no idea. I've never knowingly been allergic to anything but hey, if it's an allergy and the anti histamines work, that's the best sort of news and I'm happy. Anything to be free of these disabling headaches.

I get a mental fatigue too which I assumed was some kind of depression or loneliness. It feels like a block, where there are things to do but I just can't get myself to get on and do them. If I'm at home and feel like that I go to bed.
    Last edited by Stef; 12-05-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes I agree! It does seem like a "block"! I know exactly what you mean. I know there are some things I need to do, but I can't do it. I went and laid down but couldn't fall asleep.. So wierd. I'm so tired, but cannot sleep. And people don't get that it doesn't go away until the next day for me. So if I'm like that at 12pm I will be like that until the next morning. The energy just wont show up for me. My dad was going to go get me a smart phone for Christmas and I was too tired to even go get myself something like that. Ridiculous. Oh well, that's when u know it's debilitating.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ya know, it seems like a vicious cycle to me at times; the more tired you are the less you can sleep and the less you sleep the more tired you are. So does that make sense to anyone? I'm layinghere knowing that I just overdid by sitting on a hard chair eith no support for 4 hours because I had some embordering that had to be done tonite, now I'm tired and my back hurts to much to sleep. Here we go again.

Stef and Isla hope you both feel better soon

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

You actually stated it perfectly Nonna. That is exactly what happens. The following is from a page I read about autoimmune symptoms. It is a very easy to understand (dumbed down for those of us with brain fog) explanation of symptoms. There are several more but I thought these fit in with this topic

Fatigue: Itís not a good fatigue, from working hard, but an anxious, uncomfortable fatigue related to lack of sleep. Or a disruption of the energy production mechanism in cells, either from lack of oxygen, increased toxicity, infections or a malfunction of the mitochondria.

Sleep Disturbance:
    About 80% may wake up three or four times a night, or in some cases you donít wake up, but in the morning you still feel like a truck ran over you. The reason for this is that subliminal seizures kick you out of stage 4, Delta sleep, to stage 1 sleep so you canít sleep deeply and wake up not rested.

Short Term Memory Loss: Because of the low thyroid and heart complications typical in autoimmune diseases, there is a decrease in blood flow to the left lobe of the brain causing an oxygen deficiency in the brain. This can lead to the memory loss and forgetfulness that is common in autoimmune diseases.

Emotional Liability: Someone may cry more easily, be more anxious and fearful. This is caused by the illness, and is not a psychological reaction!

Depression: As with the emotional symptoms, the hypothalamus is involved. This is not clinical depression, but literally has a physical cause that is sometimes experienced as a deep depression right in the heart.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Nonna (12-05-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Short Term Memory Loss: Because of the low thyroid and heart complications typical in autoimmune diseases, there is a decrease in blood flow to the left lobe of the brain causing an oxygen deficiency in the brain. This can lead to the memory loss and forgetfulness that is common in autoimmune diseases.

Emotional Liability: Someone may cry more easily, be more anxious and fearful. This is caused by the illness, and is not a psychological reaction!

Depression: As with the emotional symptoms, the hypothalamus is involved. This is not clinical depression, but literally has a physical cause that is sometimes experienced as a deep depression right in the heart.
    Can these be diagnosed? Does it cause permanent damage?