Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migraines and Menopause?

Thanks

Unhappy Migraines and Menopause?

Hi Everybody,
    I lost the entire day yesterday to an awful migraine headache. I woke up in the early hours on Tuesday with a headache, but I thought that I had slept it off by morning.
    I got up and found that my period had finally started. I've had only two 53 day long cycles since August. My helpful hubby says that it must me because I'm 53 years old - LOL. I'm wondering if this means that menopause has begun? Does anyone who has already experienced it think so? I remember my mother having a lot of what she called "sick headaches" when she was in her mid-fifties.
    I ate my breakfast and started checking my e-mail. While I was doing that, the headache came back, and I soon realized that it was a full-blown migraine. I spent the rest of the day with all of the symptoms - throwing up, the trots, light sensitivity, hypersensitivity to smells and a killer headache.
    I slept on the couch all day with two cats curled up with me. I finally managed to keep down a tylenol, tea and toast after Jeff got home. I was already asleep again before he turned out his computer and came to bed.
    I'm slowly feeling better today. All that I've managed to eat today is rice. Luckily, I've still got turkey soup in the fridge, so that's dinner tonight.
    I sure hope that this isn't going to happen every two months!
    Hugs,
    Marla

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hey Marla,

I went through surgical menopause about 15 years ago and prior to that I had terrible migraines with all the symptoms you mentioned. I took estrogen for a few years after and, although the headaches eased up I still had them and then, all of a sudden, they stopped! It was wonderful! I went almost 10 years without a real "lay it down, dark room, throwing up, all day (or days)" migraine. Then I got sick and now I have them again.

The point of this is that yes, the headaches do react to hormones so when yours are out of whack the headaches decide to visit. The good news? It is possible for them to go away once menopause is over!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I to had a complete hysterectomy in 1994 and i had migrains before that and they eased up but since i got lupus they came back. The neurologist put me on 120 mg of verapamil and that is helping with some and also some of the eyes problems from the occular ones. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I can only agree with the others. I had a hyst..... A hysy in 1988. The headache go along with the hormones for sure.

Thanks

I'm glad that I'm doing it naturally, but I sure hope that this doesn't mean that I'm going to have this kind of headache every two months.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Marla,

I have been menopausing for five years now, no periods for four years.
    Didn't ever get headaches or migranes, until about two months ago, when my ocular migranes started, which my doc thinks are lupus related.
    I think the symptoms you discribe are more likely to be from the lupus than menopause.
    Feel better soon.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Hey Ladies,
    Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling fine now - just came home from a celebration at the bar!!
    I'm convinced that it was hormones. In October, when I last had a period, I went through a week of extremely painful breasts before I started. It felt worse than when I was nursing and engorged with milk. The pain went away after the period.
    This time, I had just had my MTX injection, and was extra tired when the period finally hit, along with the migraine. I'm thinking that this is a case of Hormones Gone Wild.
    Just can't wait to see what happens next time - NOT!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla;
    I am so glad that you are feeling better now. Migraines are horrendous things, I suffer from them at least once per week. Like you, it is an entire day or two lost!
    Glad to hear you were able to go out drinking

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Migraines and menopause are definitely hand-in-hand buddies! I actually started menopause when my fibro kicked in (go figure that one out!) but I noticed that once a month I still get terrible migraines. I have good luck with excederine for migraines, especially if I catch it right away. I also got the migraines really bad right after I had my son. Those goofy hormones really love to put us through the paces!

Thanks

So sorry about the dreadful migraines, M. I'm convinced that I'm perimenopausal and my migraines are a result of that.

I'm seeing a new GYN on Friday. I had two periods in Oct, none in Nov. The only time I get the migraines is when I have my period.

It's just screwy. Labs show that my hormone levels are consistent with perimenopause. whatever the cause, I need some relief.

My mother and most of her sisters had surgical menopause so I don't have a family history for an avg onset. I'm 45, which seems young, but I understand perimenopause can last for YEARS. Heaven forbid!!!