Thread: Pericarditis and Mitral Valve Prolapse

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Pericarditis and Mitral Valve Prolapse

It's been a while since I've been on here but I am in need of some support. It's been a tough few months. I uprooted myself from everything I've ever known and moved to another city for a job. I love my job working with sick kids, but I left everyone and everything behind. I think the stress from everything has caused the Lupus to flare and things have been progressively getting worse.
    As some of you know, I had my gallbladder out last February due to the Lupus. This time it's my heart. At 24 years old, I started having a chest discomfort while at work a couple weeks ago, it felt like a friction rub on the left side of my chest. I had it two days in a row and ended up in the emergency room. I saw a cardiologist the next day and they diagnosed it as pericarditis. The doctor seemed extremely concerned and had an echo done that day and a stress echo done the next day. I went in for a follow up and they found mitral valve prolapse with mild regurgitation. The pericarditis is gone for now, but it will surely return.
    Since I moved to another city I am having to get new doctors. I went about a month ago and he ran his own blood work, etc. I am going in two weeks for a follow up and for a plan of care. I am pretty certain we're doing the steroids long term with possible methotrexate. I am not excited. Oh and about a month before that, I had pneumonia in both lungs.
    I am so stressed out about being in a new city and such and having to take off so much time from work. My bills are stacking up and I don't have a support system here. I recently started dating a guy, whom is wonderful, but how do you lay all this on him?! He has been so supportive and been researching everything and being there for me but I totally don't expect him to have to take care of me. This is so upsetting. Then Christmas is here too. I love Christmas and there is nothing that tickles me more than buying presents for everyone, but this year nobody is getting anything. I am flat broke.
    Anyway, enough rambling...just in need of some support. Anyone else having heart troubles?
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Thanks

So sorry you are going through so much at once. Ive had mitral valve prolapse with regurge for quite a few years, with just some minor problems from time to time. Nothing life threatening, and no pericarditis that I know of. I found out a few weeks ago that I also have some regurge in my tricuspid valve and some enlarging of my left atrium. Not what I wanted to hear because I was under the impression from my last echo a few years ago that everything looked the same. When things change we feel damaged, or that we are deteriorating and that we are on a slippery slope hurtling toward being a total medical mess. Well, at least that's the way I feel. No one wants those around them to feel burdened by something not of their chosing. When it comes to someone we love, we tend to want to remain constantly the person they fell in love with, and not change in any way that may make them regret falling for us. We never want to force them to live a life they will resent.

I know I have often felt that my DH resents this disease, and I know he has regretted not having that perky, healthy, active wife he imagined I was going to be. Over the years he has expressed that frustration, and a couple of times he wanted to leave, but, he stayed.

Now, 27 years later, we are still together, and I still have Lupus. Im not sure if Im helping or not, but, just don't make the decision to push him away simply to spare him a burden that may or may not come. He could just as easily walk away from you and find some woman that he marries and then she is diagnosed with Lupus or something else, who knows what, or it could be him that ends up with a frightening diagnosis. Life is unpredictable, and no one should make life changing decisions based on unknowns. Go with what you currently know. Heck, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so, what good does worrying about what might happen with your disease process today do ya? Maybe all the distraction from the worry is why you got hit by that bus.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

MicroMedic;
    First, let me say that it is so good to see you back. You've been missed. I am so sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with pericarditis and mitral valve proplapse. These conditions can be worrisome and I know that Prednisone is usually the treatment for both (along with MTX). I'm glad to hear that the pericarditis is controlled right now.
    You are under quite a bit of stress right now and I wish that there was something that I could do to help you. New job, new town, new doctors...it is all a bit much. But, it sounds as if you are taking all of the right steps to get the care that you need and it appears that your doctors are responsive.
    I hope that you are able to relieve some of your stress (I know this is easier said than done) and get over this current flare. I am sending you gentle {{hugs}}

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hey there. Just wanted you to know Im here if you need to talk. I too have mitral valve prolapse. My mom was told at birth I had a heart murmur and then at 2 yrs old that it went away. At 15 after I had my first seizure I was told that I had it again. I dont know if it never went away or if it came back?? I now get symptoms that are bothersome from it though including palpitations, chest pain/pressure/discomfort, shortness of breath, irregular beats, elevated heartrates etc. I have had a few echos done which revealed the prolapse and leaky valve but not any endocarditis or pericarditis etc. So, I can relate in that way at least and hope you get things taken care of soon!
    I also can relate to having a new someone in your life and how wonderful they are and not wanting to burden them. My current boyfriend(ive known him 7 yrs but weve been together just a few months), he knows of my lupus but not specifically much about it. He is an EMT/Firefighter/Marine and in the National Guard. He works as a correctional officer at a local prison here as well so he knows how to handle tough situations and has a medical background, but this is something that will NEVER go away..at least not completely. It stays a part of us. I have told him of my disease and he has said he will never leave me regardless of what I go through, that hell always be there to support me and love/care for me and our children. This warms my heart to hear this as we have talked of marriage etc but it also scares me that the more time we share together in life the more chances of this evolving into something I dont want...and I dont want him or our children affected by it :/. I really dont know what else to say at this point for either one of us because it is very hard to deal with at times. Probably where some of my anxiety/insomnia are coming from at present. I was in school last january and half way through a phlebotomy course to be certified to work and had to quit due to missing too many days. I missed the 2 aloud and then another due to not being able to drive because I had had a seizure after 7 yrs of being seizure and med free. What a disappointment. I had just gotten my license the month before in december for the first time in my life because of the seizure ordeal. Now were looking to see if the epilepsy is due to the lupus itself. As I was going to school it made my lupus worse due to the fluorescent lighting and stress. I am just hoping I can finish the class this time as I start again this january. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts and hope that things get better for you. I hope that my story ive shared has at least made you aware you are not alone and that many people are probably going through what you are right now. I also try to tell myself..there is always someone worse off and its ok to cry Im here if you need me. *hugs* -Lupie Britt
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I am not sure how I missed this thread but somehow I did and I am so sorry! I hate that you are having to go through this but I am glad that you came back. Having somewhere that people understand can be very calming in the chaos of this disease. I know it is hard not to let this drive you crazy but as you know that will just make things worse. As for the bills, well, there is a saying in the south that goes "they can't get blood from a turnip". Don't add to your worry over them. They will still be there when you get better.
    Now let's talk about Christmas... well many of us are in that same boat and it can be very depressing. For me I am trying to use the lack of money to get myself back into the spirit of giving more than the giving itself. You are here. You are alive and you have a wonderful new job and a fabulous new boyfriend that cares enough to try to learn about this disease. There is so much to be thankful for that I say put that tree up and decorate whenever you feel like it so you can bask in the glow of the holiday. This holiday isn't about gifts or spending money it is about being with those that we love and making memories that will last a lifetime. Although things are hard right now I see some wonderful memories that can be made this holiday season for you. (yes, I know it is all easier said then done but it is worth a shot)

Above all just remember that we are here for you whenever you need a place to vent. Please keep us posted
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Sorry you're facing a couple of new dx, but don't let them scare you. I was dx with MVP (also with regurgitation) in April and it hasn't changed my life in any way.

Don't let this stuff dictate the course of your new job and new man. You've given him a glimpse and he's shown you that he cares by doing research (a huge thumbs up in my book).

As to Christmas, give the gift of time and make gifts for those that you hold especially dear (they mean so much more). My 19 y/o daughter is making little photo scrapbooks for her older brothers because she now has a car payment. If you're a baker, make holiday cookies/breads and attach the recipes. Thoughtful gifts don't have to cost a lot to come from the heart.

I hope your spirits lift and the magic of the season makes you feel better soon. Don't stay away so long next time!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have mitral valve as well and it gets better. I have times when I've been in the hospital or had a procedure that it acts up, but then when I get more rest it gets better. I know what it is to be strapped for cash. My hubby and I are struggling right now for money and to save our house and car. It seems like every day we are scared that we won't be able to make it, but we have to keep going. I know how depressing it is and I hope you have someone to talk to about this even if it is just everyone here on WHL. We understand. (((hugs)))

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for posting. I was in need of some uplifting.
    Things seem to be getting better now, or at least not worse. Rheumy appt in the morning, will definitely keep everyone informed. Started working nights so that has been taking a toll on my body. I know things could always be worse.
    I am making my boyfriend a quilt for Christmas, I haven't had much time to really make much of anything else. Finally got my cards made and sent out today. He loves NASCAR and I am loving it, it looks really good. Sorry, tooting my own horn.
    Hope all is well with all.
    Micromedic
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Don't know how I missed this! Sorry that you have so much on your plate right now. (((hugs))) I get chest pain, but so far no diagnosis of any issues other than a small spot on xray in lung. Probably nothing, but having a CAT scan soon just to make sure.
    Quilts are the bomb! If I ever get done all the ones that I have started & / planned it will be a miracle! My hubby loves nascar as well. Who is your bf's favorite driver? I am just glad it is off season right now - short lived as it is! lol
    Take care.
    Lauren