Thread: Need some help in understanding please

Thanks

Default Need some help in understanding please

Hi, my name is Sue. Im not really getting much answers from the GP'S and am a little confused as to what to do next if needed, I have been having hip pain & lower back pain, with swelling/pain of the knees, wrists/elbows & right shoulder. Blood tests are normal. ANA 160\f2A, ANF -Negative, RH <14IU/ml, CRP <.7mg/L.

If you have time please find my sxray results & surgery results below.

Oct-2009 - Loss of disc height & disc signal at L3/4,L4/5 & L5/S1. Minor L5-S1 facet joint degeneration. Minor diffuse disc buldge contributes to canal stenosis. L4/5 small central disc protrusion contributes to canal stenosis. Ramaining disc levels are unremarkable.

June-2010 Severe knee pain/sweling to both knees. Had a left knee arthroscopic surgeons advises "the unfortunite thing is your only 33, but there is nothing further I can do for you, as your knees are completley worn" His findings were: Medial compartment had grade IV changes over central area of medial femoral condyle, with grade I changes over tibial side. Subtle changes in the posterior horn of medial meniscuswhich was resected 3mm.Deep parallel fissures along tibial surface. Patellofemoral compartment had grade IV changes along trchlea, with unstable chondral edges, which wer attended to. Patella had grade III changes with unstable edges which were attanded to. A Micro fracture awl was used over medial femoral condylic & trochlea. (In my words he drilled wholes).

Oct-2010 Hip/lower back pain starts to become severe again & then settles after a couple ofweeks. (Currently just feeling stiffness in the morning with clicky hips and clicky back).

Nov-2010 Current wrists/hands are very sore, as well as a pain in elbow with a hard crack (it feels stuck for a second, then goes away). Right shoulder is sore with constant cracking/ripping noises very similar to my knees.

Is all this somehow linked and they just havnt picked up on it. just not sure what to do from here. If anyone can help I would be very greatful, I have 2 little ones & can be difficult at time when the pain gets severe. All the best Sue.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Hi Sue and welcome to WHL. First thing to do is stop and take a deep breath. I know that when you are ill and have no idea what is going on the stress is crazy. Have you tried going to a rheumatologist? If not that would be my first stop. The rheumy will do more blood work (which may or may not get you some answers) but it is the best place to start.

Until you get this all figured out just know that we will be here for you as long as you want us. We can't stop the pain but it is always nice to have a place where people understand what you are going through
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Good luck Sue, I have two little ones also and I know how hard it can be! We're happy to listen whenever you need to vent.
    Sow a thought and reap an act,
    Sow an act and reap a habit,
    Sow a habit and reap a character,
    Sow a character and reap a destiny.
    ***GROW Blue Book pg 32***

Thanks

Hi Sue,
    Welcome to WHL. Saysusie knows much more about the blood work, so hopefully she'll come along and explain that.
    I've also had arthroscopic knee surgery, and the surgeon shaved back the bone and drilled a hole to relieve the pressure. I was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis. It's also common for AVN to show up in other joints. Check out this site: http://avnsupport.org/
    If I were you, I would ask the surgeon about the possibility of AVN.
    Hope this helps!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Sue;
    The blood tests that you referred to are usually the first tests run in order to see if auto-immune issues should be pursued with reference to you spinal and joint problems. Since those tests came back at normal levels, the doctors did not pursue the possibility any further.
    Did you say that you are diagnosed with Lupus (or an auto-immune disease)? If so, and since you are so young that arthritis can be ruled out, it is quite possible that your issues are related to, or aggravated by, your underlying condition.

Lupus is a disease that can attack every part of the body and can cause inflammation throughout the body. The classic parts of the skeleton that can be affected by the inflammation of lupus are the peripheral joints - the joints away from the spine, such as the small joints of the hands and feet, the wrists, knees, elbows, ankles, and shoulders. Also, Lupus commonly causes arthritis in these joints. The spine is generally spared from the inflammation of lupus, except in the case of Myelitis (more about this below).

Lupus can cause neck and back pain because muscles can become inflamed by lupus. Also, the muscle pain syndrome called fibromyalgia, can cause pain in these areas. Fibromyalgia often is seen as a concurrent overlapping disease with Lupus.

Additionally, cortisone medications (such as Prednisone) that are frequently needed for lupus can weaken the bones of the spine, leading to breakage (fractures) of the vertebrae (similar to what you've described). Also, a rare complication of lupus that involves inflammation of the spinal cord (transverse myelitis) can be associated with back pain. This is one of the ways in which Lupus does affect the spinal cord, usually due to inflammation. This is known as Myelopathy. When caused by inflammation, it is called Myelitis.Finally, neck and back pain ranging from organ disease (such as kidney problems and others) to disc herniations can be caused by Lupus inflammation.

At this point, it sounds as if your doctors have ruled out Lupus as the cause of your issues and have not been able to determine what the cause is. More thorough and specific tests are needed to determine if an auto-immune issue is the cause of your problems.

Please keep us posted and I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Marla,
    Many thanks for your reply. I'l have a look at the site. Seeing a Rheumy on Monday who hopefully will give a little more guidance. It's all fine just frustrating cos the physiotherapists & osteo both think something else is going on that may be systemic, but the docs say no, bloods are fine. I'll let you know if I get any answers on Monday.... hanks again....
    Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Hi Sue,
    Welcome to WHL. Saysusie knows much more about the blood work, so hopefully she'll come along and explain that.
    I've also had arthroscopic knee surgery, and the surgeon shaved back the bone and drilled a hole to relieve the pressure. I was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis. It's also common for AVN to show up in other joints. Check out this site: http://avnsupport.org/
    If I were you, I would ask the surgeon about the possibility of AVN.
    Hope this helps!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Sue,
    Welcome to WHL and i hope getting to know the members helps as it's done me a world of good besides just having my hubby to turn to, it's better when you can turn to friends in the same position.
    I've got trouble with joint pains and swelling of the knee's but am still waiting for more result's to it all and the x-rays they've done on my spine and hips and i had it bad in my right elbow 2yrs ago and the doctor i was with then said i had tennis elbow and even treated me for ringworm, when it was my psoriasis playing up and swelling to the joint's, some doctor's have'nt got a clue but i wish you all the best when you go to rheumatology and saysusie as explained realy well for you.

Terri xxx
    Last edited by Peridot_Gem; 11-25-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks

Just checking in with you Suema to wish you the best (and clear thoughts) when you see the Rhuemy on Monday. Let us know how successful your appointment was.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010