Thread: Last week was fun, but still recovering

Thanks

Smile Last week was fun, but still recovering

Hi everyone,
    I'm having my MTX recovery day today, and I'm still recovering from the week that I had last week.

On Monday, my Spouse's Club had our monthly meeting. Instead of the usual, we went out to a fine restaurant in Carmel. Since there were 45 of us, they gave us a private room and a special deal. We had the three course meal for $30, instead of the usual $75. It was fabulous! Luckily, I got a ride from one of the young wives, since I hate trying to park and walk on the hills in Carmel.

On Wednesday, The Gourmet Groupies got together for a Thanksgiving feast. I baked a Pumpkin pie that morning and made acorn squash stuffed with mashed sweet potatoes that afternoon. I was exhausted, but had fun eating with the girls that evening and swapping recipes.

On Thursday, The Lunch Bunch met at a local restaurant. I was still full from the night before, but I enjoyed a bowl of soup and a few bites of Julie's birthday cake.

In Sunday, the hubby and I caught the early showing of the new Harry Potter movie. It was great! Now I can't wait for the last one that is coming out in the summer. I haven't read the books yet, so I'm really anticipating that film.

So, now I'm resting up before my next cooking frenzy on Wednesday and Thursday. Last year, we went to a Thanksgiving meal for "stranded" military members at the community center. There hasn't been any mention of one this year, so I'm planning on a quiet little meal for Jeff and I this year.
    We might as well rest up for the big holiday with the kids and grandkids at Christmas.

So, I hope that everyone (here in the US) has a lovely Thanksgiving and doesn't get too tired and stressed out.
    For our friends across the ponds, are you celebrating any holidays this month?
    Hugs to all,
    Marla

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Dang Marla! I am tired just reading about your week! LOL Rest up lady! I have a feeling you are going to need it
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Whew..let me sit down and catch my breath after reading your week of activities (LOL). I am so happy to hear that you were able to attend, and enjoy, each of them. I understand the MTX down days and the fact that you have to have some recuperative days as well. Been there...done that!
    I am especially happy that you enjoyed yourself and that you are preparing for a wonderful Christmas with you grand children.
    Get as much rest as you can/need...take care of yourself and continue to stay happy

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

whew! that sounds like an exhausingly fun week! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Jeff!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Have a quiet thanksgiving you and Jeff desire it. I haven't seen Harry Potter yet and am looking forward to it. Oh how well I remember the stranded military thanksgivings. The crew of his sub would get together at the chief of the boats house. It was fun. But I was forty years younger then.

Bless you Marla for your strength and goodness
    nonna

Thanks

What a social week! Sounds lovely, I'm so glad you had a nice time.

I love the Harry Potter books, I am waiting for all the movies to be out on DVD and will enjoy watching them at my leisure.

We are clear up until Christmas as far as holidays go here in Aus, but it's definitely coming into Silly Season, and most people are very busy. But we've got the quietest run up until Christmas we've had in years. The kids' Christmas Carols for their music lessons are on the 4th Dec, and we're hosting a Christmas brunch for our friends on the 12th, and that's it! Looking forward to a quiet holidays (Mike has his final exam on Friday, then we've got him all to ourselves for ten weeks!)

Marla, if it's not a secret family recipe I'd love your recipe for pumpkin pie. That was my Grandpa's favourite desserts, a friend of my Grandma's who was an ex-pat Canadian used to make it for him, and I loved it too! I've never been game to try a recipe from a website in case it wasn't as nice as I remember LOL.

Thanks

Hi Han,
    My recipe for pumpkin pie is a simple one that is widely available here in the US. I do make my own pie crust. My mother thought that frozen pies and frozen dinners were the greatest thing ever. My Aunt Annie, who came from Scotland, felt sorry for me and had me over to her house one weekend when I was 15 to help her clean her house and learn some baking. She taught me to make a proper pie crust, scones and cinnamon rolls. Now, nearly 40 years later, I still remember that weekend fondly, and I will always be grateful to my dear auntie for the lessons that I learned from her.
    Aunt Annie's Pie Crust:
    (one 8 or 9 in. crust)
    1 cup unbleached flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening (Aunt Ann used Spry, but Crisco works fine)
    3 tablespoons of iced cold water
    Mix flour and salt together. Cut in shortening until mixture is like cornmeal. Once you add in the water, handle very gently into a ball, then roll out the crust between two layers of waxed paper.

Pumpkin Pie filling:
    1 15 oz can pumpkin, or you can roast and puree a pumpkin, using about 2 cups puree
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ginger
    1/4 tsp cloves
    dash or two ground nutmeg
    2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
    1 14 oz can sweetened condensed evaporated milk (Eagle Brand here in US)
    Mix all ingredients together and pour into pie shell. I protect the edges from over-browning with foil. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, lower temp to 350 and bake for 40-50 minutes until set in middle. This recipe also works great with sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin.

Happy baking! I've just finished baking a pumpkin pie and a mincemeat pie for tomorrow. I learned to love mincemeat from the Scottish side of my family, and my husband's grandmother traced her ancestry to Sir Thomas More. So, our kids grew up loving mincemeat, scones, kippers and eggs and traditional bread pudding.
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Last edited by magistramarla; 11-24-2010 at 04:00 PM.