Thread: CVID, Hypothyroid & Lupus...

Thanks

Default CVID, Hypothyroid & Lupus...

Hi guys, I haven't been around for a few weeks due to illnesses. I've missed hanging around the community. My docs seem to be making some progress, but I'll have to wait a few more weeks for pending blood work, and probably more blood work after those results come in. We'll see (fingers crossed).

In the meantime, I'd like to ask you all:

1a. Have you been *thoroughly* checked for hypothyroidism (not just the TSH & other tests, but along with basal temperature)?
    1b. If so, have you been diagnosed with Hashimoto's?
    1c. Have you been "officially" diagnosed with SLE?

2a. As a child, did you constantly get sick with ear infections, sinus infections, & every cold that came by?
    2b. As an older aldult (25+), do you now constantly get sick with every cold and sniffles that comes down the road?
    2c. Have your hemoglobulin levels been checked? They start with a "total" count, then they'll progress further with the sub-class (IgA, E, G & M) tests.
    2d. Have you subsequently been diagnosed with CVID?

What I've discovered over the last few weeks is how so much of this stuff can be inter-related. They've "officially" diagnosed me now with CVID, which is Common Variable Immune (or "Immuno-) Deficiency. My particular version is low IgG 2&4 and low IgM. At first, it was assumed that SLE had knocked my blood out of whack. Turns out, it is probably the other way around. The "family" of symptoms is so similar, it's scary. The difference, from what I can see, is that a person with CVID can have SLE "caused" by the CVID (this can include folks difficult to diagnose), along with other auto-immune troubles, generally won't have other blood issues (hypothyroidism causes similar stuff). But the person with SLE first, and that seems to cause blood related disorders that might be *similar* to CVID (not diagnosed, but similar symptoms), can still have all the other stuff associated with auto-immune disorders, but will generally have other blood-related disorders from the SLE... Just my opinion. What else is *very* enlightening is the thyroid stuff. Either CVID or SLE can help in allowing the thyroid to be destroyed, which then leads to all sorts of overlapping symptoms from the low thyroid...

Interesting reading: "Hypothyroidism Type 2, The Epidemic", by Mark Starr, M.D. Check your local library.
    Last edited by jmail; 11-19-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Man, I need some compositional skills, don't I?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

Nonna (11-20-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow jmail you just describe me, well almost. I have hashimoto's; yes I have the ear infection and sinus infections-all my life, It's amazing me.

I'm going to ask about this CVID

thanks and hugs
    nonna

Thanks

Jmail,
    It's good to see you here again. I hope that you're feeling better. It's good to see that your docs are making some progress. I'm wondering if CVID is something akin to Mixed Connective Tissue Disease?
    I had lots of sinus infections as a kid, and what was called "walking pneumonia". As we were discussing on another thread, I was disgustingly healthy during my 20s, when I was pregnant, nursing or both most of the time. Those hormones seemed to help. Now that I'm an old lady, I have all kinds of symptoms.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi,
    I officially have SLE and Hashimotos, and my sister has CVID. She was constantly sick as a child and as an adult. I have always seemed healthy as a horse till SLE started turning me into a stiff old woman.
    Sherry

Thanks

Im being tested for it tomorrow. Hashimotos that is.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teresaa40 View Post
    Im being tested for it tomorrow. Hashimotos that is.
    Let us know how it goes. I will be thinking of you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Teresa how did it go?

Jmail how you are doing now?

Nonna