Thread: positive ANA : (

Thanks

Unhappy positive ANA : (

I haven't posted much on this site, but have learned so much from it. Last week I went to see my Rheumy regarding an MRI test I had done on my knee. Expecting nothing but to have fluid in my knee, I went alone. Well of course theres going to be more than fluid and no one to offer support! The Dr said it confirmed his suspicion and I have Avascular Necrosis, caused by LUPUS, up until know he had called it connective tissue disease. He offered to start treatment right away. We had sent my blood to an outside Lab as we didn't trust Quest. I told him I wanted to wait for those to come back. He agreed but also said regardless of how they come back we're starting treatment. At this point, I saw his mouth moving but didn't hear anything coming out of it. I felt my world collapse. Well here it is a week and a half later and he fianally called with my results, I have a positive ANA although everything else is negative, whatever that meant. the thing is I really can't take steroids as it will agrevate my AVN and plaquenil will take some time to get into my system. I have an appointment with a dermatologist in two weeks for a biopsy as my hair is falling in clumps so were putting off treatment for at least two weeks to see if the biopsy shows anything further. I broke down at my dinner table, thankfully it was just me and hubby today, normally we all have dinner together, but my rugrats all had activities today. I don't want my kids to see me cry, or even my husband for that matter, I'm so scared. I was always so full of energy and was the life of the party, I feel like I'm half the woman I use to be, I just want to be me again. I'm sorry if im rambling, I just don't think other people would understand unless they've been where I am today....how do you guys deal with all the emotions that come along with finally getting a diagnosis thats bitter sweet. On the one hand I know whats wrong now, but I don't want to have it.

Thanks

Linda? About all I can tell you is we deal with it day to day. we use this site to vent, pray and and ask for help and support. I don't know where I would be if it weren't for my wife and daughter, they are the ones that take care of me. Let your family help when you need them to. Take care. Jim.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Maribel,

You are in a place where many of us have been. I reacted much the same way you are when I was diagnosed with SLE back in 2004. I was the life of the party too, and for quite a while, I felt like just a shell of my former self. It's going to take time to adjust to this, and to accept it. It's not easy, in fact it can be terribly difficult, and sometimes heartbeaking, but you can adjust to this, and get the symptoms under control. Yes, the Plaquenil can take time to have any beneficial effect. Usually 3 to six months. For me, it was closer to three when I started to notice a difference. It was a very noticeable difference, and although the plaq will rarely alleviate all symptoms, it will make you feel better, and Lupus will not look like such a huge monster anymore.

There are also practical things you can do right now to help yourself, like avoiding the sun, and wearing good sun block. A hat and light long sleeve shirt is good too. In regards to your hair, I had the same thing when I was first diagnosed, and it turns out it was Alopecia Areatta, a typical, and usually temporary symptom. My hair grew back in a few months after starting the plaq. Have you considered taking an NSAID, such as Aleve/Naproxen Sodium? It's a fairly effective anti-inflammatory.

There's nothing wrong with crying, and nothing wrong with venting and talking to others. Letting it all out can help take a bit of the overwhelming feeling away. There's always someone here to talk to, and believe me, we understand what you are going through. We have many here who have lived a good life and thrived despite the disease. I've been living with it, and managing it fairly well for over six years now. My mother, has been living with Lupus for 22 years, and is still going strong. There is hope!

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 11-19-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks

Thank you guys for your replies, I does feel so much better to come here and vent with people who unfortunately know all to well what I'm feeling. Rob as far as the NSAID, I can't take them, I'm on blood thinners for life for another condition that has nothing to do with the Lupus. I was prescribed vicodin for AVN of my knee, but I'm petrified of those types of drugs. so I just take Tylenol which unfortunately doesnt' help much. I'm looking forward to startint plaquenel in a couple of weeks!

Thanks

I love this verse, thanks for sharing it, it's very inspirational and so true!
    Quote Originally Posted by scubagramplit View Post
    Linda? About all I can tell you is we deal with it day to day. we use this site to vent, pray and and ask for help and support. I don't know where I would be if it weren't for my wife and daughter, they are the ones that take care of me. Let your family help when you need them to. Take care. Jim.

Thanks

Default sorry

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I pray that you will recover soon

Thanks

I know exactly where your coming from hun as i was diagnosed officially today, unfortunately for both me and my mum it can be genetic and she passed it onto me. Just hope my kiddies dont get it. Doing all the research i can at the moment to find out exactly what its about.
    take care hun.....

Thanks

Im sorry chika, like you I'm trying to find out everything I can regarding this desease. Best of luck!